Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Old World Style set 14 in Limbo

Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Ok, I've always been a little foggy on the Limbo versus Ethereal plane, so that is up to interpretation. Let's just say we've made a lot of floating islands and provided a great starry night background to change things up a bit for your players and adventure setting.  Set 14 also brings with it new plants, new buildings, camps, bio-mechanoid structures and lighthouses! Don't forget to tell your players to watch that first step..or, better yet they can play Ultimate Pin the Tail on the Donkey Blindfold Challenge! 
David Hemenway
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Really unique idea. Good work Russ and Dan.

Edited 1468476381
Gold
Forum Champion
Cool set, for making small-scale (zoomed-out) cartography Map Pages (like all of the Old World art pack series), allowing the game to travel larger distances at a glance, which tends to make for epic-journey adventures and diverse locations for scenarios. In this case, it could be a whole fantasy world with floating islands, or it could be the inner and outer Planes of Existence, as hinted with ethereal and Limbo references. The ethereal stars background is particularly great. Russ is there a recommended pixel or unit size for that ethereal background? I'll probably try tiling if I need a super-big starscape, I think it can be tiled using Z-order layering to stack and hide the parchment borders where not-needed. Alternately it may be big in the first place and able to stretch without a lot of pixelization, since it is really a background and not the focal point. Closing comment: On the cover-graphic and the sample map -- is that an easter egg for your  Tower Descent art pack (which is practically a module)? I looked immediately through the art-pieces to find if there was a mini-icon for Tower Descent in this pack, my finding is that there are base towers (regular shaped tower spire, dark palace & evil lighthouse in particular) and there are separate graphics that can be used to attach side turrets --- possibly DarkPalace8Set14 (.graphic) for a turret-tower. Is that correct? So for starters, Russ and Dan, just admit that it's an easter egg and I found this #PokemonGo first. :P Then if you could, please tell me which icons in this pack could best be combined to make it look like a mini of Tower Descent? Thanks.   =  P.S. My DnD group is playing through Tower Descent right now, and got inside (beat the roof level) after 2 sessions so far. It's a long way down from there.
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
@Gold - 15x11 squares on a 140x140 grid. Sorry, Ive been trying to include sizes and that one must have slipped through. And for Tower Descent-ish pieces...hmmm... Glad you are enjoying the sets! To make the tower in tower descent...hmmm...Probably Evil Lighthouse, DarkPalace 14 & 15, and topped off with Floating Tower3...or the similar ones in the light side depending on what yer feeling if ya need something off the bat. Or, I just made a couple elements this morning of Tower Descent in OWS format. With permission by the team, I'd like to post those two here if possible. Now... what is this 'po-kee-mon' you speak of Gold? lol

Edited 1468502701
Gold
Forum Champion
As far as including the sizes in the names, you may have... The names are truncated on Marketplace view for me, doesn't line wrap and cuts off after a certain number of letters; I've only looked at Old World 14 in the Marketplace link so far. A piece of good news is the new Art Library system of Roll20 shows the full file title, so all work that market-artists do organizing keywords in filenames is going to prove useful in the interface for GM-mapmakers, once the set is purchased. For example I've already looked in my art library, in-game today, new-format, and the Tower Descent set looks easier to set-up now than the old way, because now it actually shows the names so you can read what you're looking at as well as visual recognition. Russ, Email team @ roll20.net about your offer of posting some free old-world / tower descent mashups. Here's a game screenshot showing where the Tower Descent is placed in my group's town map. The tower arose mysteriously on the location of the city's lighthouse. You know how sometimes an ancient town is built-over by many different generations, invaders, cultures? That's like our DnD home-base city map, layered up with additions from multiple artists, many adventures, DM's and player scribbling, graphics From The Web, our own Photoshop, and From The Marketplace. Don't mind the melange of Hapke OWS, Dundjini, drawing tool, Wolters realistic tower pix, and a Diego Rivera painting; or the cross-up of Top-Down map, perspective tokens, and photo angles, all on the same image. This is just one district of the city, maybe 2% of the overall map, a town that suffered a typhoon-dragon attack in-game half-a-year ago. "Old World Style" bits are sprinkled liberally around this town, but it is not fully OWS, it's an ever-evolving mis-mash. That token of the lighthouse with the shadow in the center -- that's what I plan to replace with a true Tower Descent x OWS-sized map icon.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Nice set!  I've been playing a bunch of Shadow of Mordor lately and that set would do nicely for an overmap. =D

Edited 1468514343
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Those biomechanical looking structures are out of this world.  Living planet here I come!
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
@Gold - LOVE, love LOOOOOVE the map! I think I need to make a time over time type element...like a gravely bit oval where if you have a city, you can place it over for showing the passage of time and cover it with some ruins... hmmm...On it! Aaron & Gabe - Thanks! Gabe I would love to see you make a living planet out of the OWS stuff. You would rock that.