Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 Update 7/13: Library Rework

Edited 1468535895
I am able to pull up my library of 'Recent Uploads', and then the Warning message about image deletion shows up and I am able to click on multiple images as intended, but how do I delete them? I am unable to right-click nor 'Delete' nor does the previous trashcasn icon appear. I use Firefox, Windows 7. I do not know if I am simply missing an instruction or if something is up. Never mind, I am able to right click -> Delete now.
Diana P said: I accidentally replied in the wrong thread ( here ), but I still (4pm Mountain) am not seeing the same results in my search in-game vs what I see when I search my images under marketplace/my images. Awesome, thanks, that was super helpful. I think I have it fixed now. Let me know if not. Let me know if you guys are still having issues, Dongus and Brian. Also with this fix we also made it so that the "handle" to grab the images on the search results includes the icon, so that should make it less confusing to drag and drop them onto the tabletop.
Ok it is working now thanks Riley! I have another question. How do you get new images in your library from the web? I tried dragging to the table and right clicking but i could not get an option to add it to my library. It looks like if you already have the image in your folder on your computer that you can upload them. Currently there is no way to tag a new token or image from the web and put it in your library.

Edited 1468536775
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Brian A. said: Ok it is working now thanks Riley! I have another question. How do you get new images in your library from the web? I tried dragging to the table and right clicking but i could not get an option to add it to my library. It looks like if you already have the image in your folder on your computer that you can upload them. Currently there is no way to tag a new token or image from the web and put it in your library. Definitely an oversight, we'll figure something out for that. Most likely it will be allowing you to right-click and hit "Add to Library" like you can do on the free sets and whatnot currently. Glad to hear it's working for you now!
Is there any chance we'll be getting a "Folder view" option for the Journal and Audio tabs? Being able to view them in a file-viewer-style window could make management a lot easier.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: Awesome, thanks, that was super helpful. I think I have it fixed now. Let me know if not. It is fixed with my example.  Thanks!
I am unable to click on any premium assets in my search results and access the Marketplace. Previously, I could click on the hyperlink, and a Marketplace window would open in the virtual tabletop. This would seem to be a major obstacle to purchasing content and generating revenue for Roll20 and content creators, so I hope this will be fixed very soon.
Among other problems I have encountered, the search seems to get stuck looking for content online. Maybe it's just a cosmetic issue, but the search results shows an active icon next to "Looking on the web ..." It creates the appearance of the search continuing to operate after generating results.

Edited 1468547168
Steve K. said: We also have made it so dragging an asset by it's organizational handle (the thing under the picture when you mouse over the item) is now able to be dropped on the tabletop to add the asset to your page. This should cut down on the confusion of how to add assets from your library into your games. I do see that this works BUT, for me at least, it only works for the assets that are under My Library. When I place my cursor over an asset there, the mini icon next to the name of the asset turns into 3 vertical dashes and I am able to grab it and drag it onto the grid. However, this is not the case for the assets organized under the Premium Assets (Marketplace Purchases and Free Assets). For those ones the icon doesn't change and I still have to grab it by its name in order to drag and drop onto the grid.
Bad day to learn the system, I guess.  I went through tutorial (haven't a clue how the whole product works) and ran into the problem I see in this thread - no little stars and no way to add to library.  Attempting to view my (nonexistent) library halted the tutorial.  Without being able to understand maps in play, none of the rest of the system is useful.  Coupled with this is the fact that, after finishing the tutorial, I cannot find any link to get back to the VTT.  So I am unable to explore further on my own.  Since that is the GUI by which all the gameplay is accomplished, I would think it would have a very prominent link on the home page ("Click to make a new adventure!" or similar).
If we can't drag images into a collapsed folder, maybe make it so we can pop a folder out and drag to it from the library bar. Very clunky reorganizing multiple images at a time.
Gold
Forum Champion
Jeff B. said: .. after finishing the tutorial, I cannot find any link to get back to the VTT. &nbsp;So I am unable to explore further on my own. &nbsp;Since that is the GUI by which all the gameplay is accomplished, I would think it would have a very prominent link on the home page ("Click to make a new adventure!" or similar). Hi Jeff! Welcome. You can find-create a fresh VTT all your own, to explore and experiment. Under the GAMES menu at the top, click Start New Game, or if you just click onto My Games page (link below) then it will have a prominent blue button near the top-right that says Start New Game. Link to My Games that has Start New Game, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/search/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/search/</a>
Greg said: I am unable to click on any premium assets in my search results and access the Marketplace. Previously, I could click on the hyperlink, and a Marketplace window would open in the virtual tabletop. This would seem to be a major obstacle to purchasing content and generating revenue for Roll20 and content creators, so I hope this will be fixed very soon. Damirith said: Steve K. said: We also have made it so dragging an asset by it's&nbsp;organizational&nbsp;handle (the thing under the picture when you mouse over the item) is now able to be dropped&nbsp;on the tabletop to add the asset to your page. This should cut down on the confusion of how to add assets from your library into your games. I do see that this works BUT, for me at least, it only works for the assets that are under My Library. When I place my cursor over an asset there, the mini icon next to the name of the asset turns into 3 vertical dashes and I am able to grab it and drag it onto the grid. However, this is not the case for the assets organized under the Premium Assets (Marketplace Purchases and Free Assets). For those ones the icon doesn't change and I still have to grab it by its name in order to drag and drop onto the grid. Both of these issues should be fixed now. (The 3-bar icon doesn't show up currently but you can drag it by the icon without issues now). Thanks!
Jeff B. said: Bad day to learn the system, I guess. &nbsp;I went through tutorial (haven't a clue how the whole product works) and ran into the problem I see in this thread - no little stars and no way to add to library. &nbsp;Attempting to view my (nonexistent) library halted the tutorial. &nbsp;Without being able to understand maps in play, none of the rest of the system is useful. &nbsp;Coupled with this is the fact that, after finishing the tutorial, I cannot find any link to get back to the VTT. &nbsp;So I am unable to explore further on my own. &nbsp;Since that is the GUI by which all the gameplay is accomplished, I would think it would have a very prominent link on the home page ("Click to make a new adventure!" or similar). We should have that fixed today. Sorry!
Just some additional feedback: - I too preferred the larger thumbnails, but I am getting used to hovering over the items to see them. Adding my vote in for a toggle or option to switch between the two. - I am not seeing a way to pop-out (what I'm calling) the asset selection window from the parent window (I'm referring to the window that opens when clicking an asset). Am I missing something or is this not yet possible? &nbsp; &nbsp; -&nbsp;Also, related: the term pop-out now seems to have two separate meanings within the Roll20 architecture. When I hear or see "pop-out", I think (as in the character sheets) true separate window pop-out. Here the asset folder view is being called a "pop-out" but it truly no different than any other window that opens (like when double-clicking a token on the vtt or the "add sound" window from the jukebox). (sorry if this feedback just seems crazy, I'm just a stickler for consistent terminology) - I have had an issue (glitch?) only a few times now where the right-click menu in the asset selection window appears behind the asset selection window, on the vtt, and I have to exit the game and re-join to fix it. If it happens again I will try to screenshot it if that would be helpful at all. - I thought I saw the folders appearing in the asset selection window before, but now I do not see them. I would like the ability to navigate the folder structure from within the asset selection window. Was this working before or am I crazy? Any intent to bring it back or add it? - The difference in tagging an individual item vs mass tagging is something that threw me for a second. Didn't realize I had to right-click to mass tag, but can still tag individual items even if I have multiple items selected. I do like this ability, it just took me a second to figure it out. All in all I appreciate the improvements and look forward to some of these items getting additional attention. Keep up the great work!!
Thank you for the response. &nbsp;Maybe this comment belongs in another thread, but "Start New Game" does not seem like an intuitive choice to me. &nbsp;I avoided it on purpose because I am not ready to run a game and expected it to hurl me into a start page waiting for online players to sign in and play the game I haven't made yet. &nbsp;I notice the crash-course tutorial refers to a page design that no longer exists but was less confusing in this regard. There are a couple areas where I think Roll20 puts a different and confusing spin on key words, and this is one of them. &nbsp;Illustration: You can buy the d&d game; you can also run the d&d game. &nbsp;Both are valid uses of 'game'. &nbsp;However, a dungeon adventure I am preparing is not, itself, a game. &nbsp;Rather, it is *for* a game and is compatible with either of the two meanings of the word. Anyhow, thanks in advance for the library/star-thingy fix.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We just pushed out an update fixing some bugs and pushing out the new option to search in a large icon mode. We heard your feedback about the search results not being accessible for some users with small screens or who don't enjoy the hover preview.

Edited 1468605208
Riley D. said: Both of these issues should be fixed now. (The 3-bar icon doesn't show up currently but you can drag it by the icon without issues now). Thanks! Just to give you a heads up, they do seem to work now. However I ran into the problem again after purchasing a new pack off of the Marketplace. I was having a lot of difficulty with grabbing and dropping. I decided to try closing the page and reloading it and that fixed it! So you might need to make a few further tweaks. Thanks again for your work! :)
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We just rolled out a revamp of the Library Tutorial section. It's not exhaustive as the library is still growing and being polished but it should not longer break with the new library system.
Rick said: Will there be a way to add web content to your library in the future? Agreed. I'd love to be able to upload by URL, as that saves me oodles of time when I need to Google an image in the moment.

Edited 1468618254
Gold
Forum Champion
Cal H. said: &nbsp; &nbsp; -&nbsp;Also, related: the term pop-out now seems to have two separate meanings within the Roll20 architecture. When I hear or see "pop-out", I think (as in the character sheets) true separate window pop-out. Here the asset folder view is being called a "pop-out" but it truly no different than any other window that opens (like when double-clicking a token on the vtt or the "add sound" window from the jukebox). (sorry if this feedback just seems crazy, I'm just a stickler for consistent terminology) This is not crazy, Cal! We want to get the terminology clear and understandable. Roll20 Wiki documentation for the latest features is still being written. I suggest that "pop-over" might be a better term for the 2nd kind (if there isn't already a more familiar term for it), like the in-game asset folder view window . &nbsp; &nbsp; "Pop-out" should mean windows like the character sheet option, or the pop-out chat window option, where it can become a new browser window or tab.
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'd love a way to be able to search my library, then catalogue results from my search into folders. Right now, I can't find a way to access my folder structure immediately after a search.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Falsoon said (over here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3666430/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3666430/</a>): I also want to echo the many complains about the UI being awkward, and not intuitive. It is downright frustrating. Unless there is another way, it looks like I must go through my hundreds of images in my art library and retag them all, replacing the filename! How was that a good idea? I know I have matching tags but the search does not pull them up. It keeps referring to the filename. Urgent request: How can I add an item from the art search into my art library. I figured out how to upload, and delete. Some forum entries suggest dragging a web image (for example) onto the VTT, -- the map? When I do that, nothing gets added to my library. Also, I wouldn't want it to work that way because I drag images onto the map just to examine them and look at them, then delete the unwanted ones. That means unwanted in my library too. Please help. -Falsoon
This is likely going to be a stupid or already answered question but how does one put things in a folder in your art library? Dragging them to the folder, either by having it open or to the named folder, does nothing and that's all I can seemingly do.
GenKitty said: Falsoon said (over here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3666430/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3666430/</a> ): I also want to echo the many complains about the UI being awkward, and not intuitive. It is downright frustrating. Unless there is another way, it looks like I must go through my hundreds of images in my art library and retag them all, replacing the filename! How was that a good idea? I know I have matching tags but the search does not pull them up. It keeps referring to the filename. Urgent request: How can I add an item from the art search into my art library. I figured out how to upload, and delete. Some forum entries suggest dragging a web image (for example) onto the VTT, -- the map? When I do that, nothing gets added to my library. Also, I wouldn't want it to work that way because I drag images onto the map just to examine them and look at them, then delete the unwanted ones. That means unwanted in my library too. Please help. -Falsoon You shouldn't need to re-tag anything. Although we now list the filename underneath the image when it shows up in the search results (which we weren't doing before), all of your existing tags are still there. If you're searching for example for "dragon" and you know you have something tagged "dragon" and it's not showing up in the results, please let us know -- there was an issue with this previously but it should have been fixed yesterday. Let us know specifically what you're searching for and what you expect to see and we'll take a look. If you mean, how do you add things from the Google web search to your library, there's not currently an easy way to do that, but we'll be adding it shortly.
James F. said: This is likely going to be a stupid or already answered question but how does one put things in a folder in your art library? Dragging them to the folder, either by having it open or to the named folder, does nothing and that's all I can seemingly do. Make sure that, like the Journal tab, you are dragging on the "handle" to sort them, it shows up on the image as three bars when you mouseover it. If you drag from the name it will expect you to drag it onto the tabletop. We're working to unify that behavior so it's more apparent.
When can we expect to be able to 'star' or favorite searches? :) I only notice because I was trying to figure out how to to and noticed someone mentioned it as an oversight.
Everything is coming along great, but I wanted to point out an issue I'm seeing. &nbsp;When I right click an outside asset and click add to library, it works, but it just names it null. So, when I was not paying attention and added 7 or more items, I went back to find them all named null and would have to go and rename them. &nbsp;Not sure if that is what was intended because it makes for a few extra steps. &nbsp;Hope this info helps! &nbsp;
Just wanted to bop back in and say that the updates you've done are making it a better experience than when it first released. Needs more attention to make it as valuable a change as everyone is hoping for, but the Library is moving in the right direction now. Keep it up!
I'm a newish user, been using Roll20 for two weeks. Thanks for these updates, they have improved much of the Library functionality. A few points - in searches I am seeing both thumbnails and the actual asset, is this expected? - In Recent Uploads are many of my recent purchases from the marketplaces, it looks like the ones that are showing are ones I've tagged - When using the popout to manage Recent Uploads, it is inconsistent whether I can select and then delete items. I can almost always select items, but sometimes I can right click to delete them and sometimes not. Same for the listing over in the library. Thanks for this update, loving Roll20!

Edited 1468653643
I am still having some problems with grabbing and dropping assets, this time its the web based results. Trying to click and drag the icon doesn't always work as smoothly as it should. Sometimes the image just disappears as soon as you drag onto the grid, sometimes it disappears and you end up highlighting all the options listed above it, sometimes it works fine, and if you try to click and drag from the link it just opens up the window asking if you really want to go over to the linked site. It's a bit odd since you guys seem to design the new library to work best by drag and dropping from the name of the asset, but then not have that be the case for the web based assets.&nbsp; It also took me a while to realize that if you want to delete and asset, you have to now right click on it to do so. Wasn't there a trash can icon before? Its been some time since I used the site so I might be just forgetting things about the "old" layout.&nbsp;
I was organizing everything neatly. Then something got stuck and I decided to refresh the page. When I returned back in, the folders are gone but the images put in the folders remain and still count as if they were put in the folders in my library.. Although I cannot see them, so I cant continue putting things in those folders.. :/
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Mal said: I was organizing everything neatly. Then something got stuck and I decided to refresh the page. When I returned back in, the folders are gone but the images put in the folders remain and still count as if they were put in the folders in my library.. Although I cannot see them, so I cant continue putting things in those folders.. :/ Do you have any details on what you were doing when the "got stuck" problem happened? Can you reproduce the issue?
Riley D. said: Brian A. said: Ok it is working now thanks Riley! I have another question. How do you get new images in your library from the web? I tried dragging to the table and right clicking but i could not get an option to add it to my library. It looks like if you already have the image in your folder on your computer that you can upload them. Currently there is no way to tag a new token or image from the web and put it in your library. Definitely an oversight, we'll figure something out for that. Most likely it will be allowing you to right-click and hit "Add to Library" like you can do on the free sets and whatnot currently. Glad to hear it's working for you now! Before we could star the items we search through the site. I'm not seeing anything that lets me right click any of the searches and 'add to library'. Are we supposed to drop the pic onto the board and then right click or right click in the search to the right? ::confused::

Edited 1468711225
I'm unsure if this has been covered, I think I read somewhere in one of the forum replies, but after purchasing a pack from the marketplace, I can't search for any of the items, have no means of looking at my purchased tokens/map pieces while in the current game. When I go to the Marketplace via roll20 outside of the current game, I now can see my purchased assets, all without tags. I experimented by tagging one, and am now able to search for it while in the game, but only the one. With more tweaking and trying to find the proper search word, I can bring up a Marketplace folder drop down menu in the search bar that is ONLY there when you search for something in the folders. It isn't there on its own, which seems like an oversight or a bug on my part. Is there a way to bring up the old purchased pop up box to drag and drop from there? I do not enjoy having to waste time mousing over everything I have, after spending so much time tagging everything. I'd rather just see a pop up and drag it from there, knowing exactly what I want. If I've missed a step somewhere, some guidance would be appreciated. I'm still very unsure about this update. It seems far more complicated and clunkier. I wonder if it would be out of line to suggest a system setting where you can use the OLD way of doing it? EDIT: So either I missed it or I found the Marketplace dropdown menu, either way, I have that in the search. So now I guess it's just at how small the icons are, but that's already been brought up, and the old pop out menu.
SkyCaptainXIII said: Steve K. said: SkyCaptainXIII said: Where can we see how much data is in our library? <a href="https://app.roll20.net/account/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/account/</a> =&gt; Storage Quota Any way to get this information added at the top of the art library in game? Yes +1 please do this
This is a very newbie question, How do I delete items from my library? Thanks for your time, Gareth
Gareth J. said: This is a very newbie question, How do I delete items from my library? Gareth, you can delete items from your library by clicking on any asset in your My Library list, which will open the&nbsp;asset folder view window. From there, you can right click an asset to delete it. Notice you can also click to select multiple assets, and then you will delete all that you have selected, so be careful here.

Edited 1468756581
Phoxounet
Sheet Author
Translator
Hi ! I just &nbsp;LOVE the new library feature :) I was praying for something like that !!! :) However, I encountered a serious issue this morning : some folders have been duplicated. I checked everything, refreshed the page... I though I made a wrong manipulation. Deleted all duplicated content. Now, I can't access the remaining folders (look like empty with an error message). Refreshing the page made the duplicate folders to appear again, even if empty. Lost all my work about setting my library... :( Edit : I created new folders and easily managed a part of my library. However, I can't deleted corrupted folders :) Moreover, is there a way to batch delet all duplicated art beetwen a library and premuim assets ? (without deleting ongoing maps and tokens ?)
Not real thrilled with the changes to the library. Made it very counter-intuitive and cumbersome to use. Makes me not want to upload any images, let alone purchase any.&nbsp;
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Would it be possible to add an item to the token menu so we can add the image to one of our folders?
Alan F. said: How do you delete items from your Recent Uploads? When right clicking those items, it doesn't bring up the expected menu. EDIT: Never mind, figured out what was intended -- single clicking on a 'recent upload' item. Though I do would appreciate the ability to simply right click without expanding the 'folder view' of your recent uploads. That aside, cool update! I still can't figure this out. &nbsp;Just logged on to find this update and have no idea how to delete items. &nbsp;There's no trash can, can't right click, and even pressing "Delete" after selecting the files I want gone doesn't work.

Edited 1468925271
I can't seem to delete anything. Right clicking doesn't work. theres no trash can icon to drag to. I opened the library by left clicking an item (seemed counter intuitive? There should be a button to open it) and even there I can't right click delete items. [edit] Ok, seems it was a bug: I reloaded the game and now the prompt to delete comes up when I right click: so if anyone else has this issue try closing your browser and re-opening the game).
Any word on when we will get the option to add new art or tokens to our library and be able to tag them like we used to?
Brian A. said: Any word on when we will get the option to add new art or tokens to our library and be able to tag them like we used to? Yes please. :)
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Brian and Ravenknight, You can upload and tag images now. Is that what you meant? Tagging images in new art library
Is there a way to tag/star content that is brought up from other sites when searching for tokens/maps/whatever? &nbsp;All I am getting now is stuff from another website that I can either click on a link or drag the map/token/whatever onto the screen and use it but have no way of saving it in my library.
plexsoup said: @Brian and Ravenknight, You can upload and tag images now. Is that what you meant? Tagging images in new art library Indeed! ( I keep missing obvious features. :P )
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Cody B. said: Is there a way to tag/star content that is brought up from other sites when searching for tokens/maps/whatever? &nbsp;All I am getting now is stuff from another website that I can either click on a link or drag the map/token/whatever onto the screen and use it but have no way of saving it in my library. You can right click on web searches to add them directly to your library.
No you still have to have the art in your folder to add it to your library! Why can't we just right click on the web image and add it from there?