Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic light opacity slider player view

Edited 1468548462
Euphamia
Marketplace Creator
Greetings all I'm kind of new around here and i dont want to bring up old dead topics (but on this one i do...) &nbsp;&nbsp; But i found this post with googling and found it to talk and discuess the exact thing im trying to do. &nbsp; As i been creating maps i find the harsh pure black lines my players have to deal with when using Dynamic Lighting to be a bit... bad... I love the system and love the line of sight so that they cant see monster tokes that might be sitting around the corner. &nbsp; but would like it if its just lightly shadowed out with a slider like the DM Dynamic Lighting slider does, &nbsp;just for players! Anyways... i havent been able to figure out how to do this, &nbsp;and if it is possable now and i just cant get it done right, &nbsp;please someone inform me! As for the old post there was a few good ideas but the issue was never really solved or even discuessed by the creaters of Roll20 (gms?) &nbsp;&nbsp; Anyways, &nbsp;heres the orginal post by a very smart man named&nbsp; DXWarlock Original Post ---------------------------------------------- Adding a slider for dynamic light opacity for players to the sheet, the way the GM has one. Quite a few times I wanted to simulate night conditions, but not a "black out cant see anything" type darkness. If I could have had a player view slider, like the GM one, I could have done a "its almost pitch black, you can see, but just BARELY make anything out, outside your torch range". Currently the way it is there is no options other than "full bright, or cant see your hand in front of your face dark". Also would be GREAT for giving the impression of time passing on outdoor maps. Changing the opacity of the darkness every so often so it appears the sun is going down, and nighttime as set in (or vice versa). There is tons of creative ways it could be used if the level could be set for players. For example, when I have the GM layer set to around 98%, it looks MUCH better than what they players see. sometimes in complex setups of buildings and pillars, walls, etc. they get confused what is what with the solid black polygons shifting around as they move. Even that 2% difference on my view makes it so its 'too dark to see anything meaningful, but enough to get your bearings of whats going on"..having that slider each GM could set to his and his players taste. This is at 95%ish percent for GM view. <a href="http://i.imgur.com/A1vDbLj.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://i.imgur.com/A1vDbLj.jpg</a> . Would be great to be able to do this for the players I would think it would be an easy addon, since we have the option for GM's already. would just be adding a slider that affects players instead. (perhaps even tie the 2 together for the GM to simplify it for him..so when GM opacity is at 100% they see what the players would.) Being able make the players see it like this, as easy as it was for me to see it as GM like this would be a HUGE help:

Edited 1468616255
Gold
Forum Champion
Euphamia said: &nbsp;the creaters of Roll20 (gms?) &nbsp;&nbsp; Neat suggestion and illustration. If there is an older Suggestion topic for this, it might be best-promoted by adding your comments and vote +1 on the pre-existing suggestion that matches, fits or contains this idea. There are a few other suggestions regarding Dynamic Lighting features if you search for "dynamic" on the Suggestions forum. Just to answer the terminology, the Creators of Roll20 are called Devs... they are the Dev Team! (It stands for Development, Developers). We the GM's are Game Masters, who run and offer games to fellow players.
Euphamia
Marketplace Creator
it was a two year old post that was locked... Couldent really do anything with it ... thats why i was wondering if this was solved in another way or just forgotton about...
Gold
Forum Champion
Euphamia said: it was a two year old post that was locked... Couldent really do anything with it ... thats why i was wondering if this was solved in another way or just forgotton about... Understood. I do not think that the way Dynamic Lighting projects like that has changed since the time of that earlier post. It's the same. By the way there are some clever work-arounds where you can achieve dimness effects! It takes some work, but you can set Dimness on tokens that project light (and the token can even be an invisible or transparent pixel, or can be moved to the map layer). It's not exactly what you are asking for, but is possible to project a dim light into an area for a different but interesting appearance. The reason the earlier post is closed, it is from the old Suggestions forum before Roll20 implemented the Voting +1 suggestions forum. Everything was reset at that time, the current Suggestions forum opened.
Euphamia
Marketplace Creator
I beliave the point of the post was that the large pillers or pure blackness that the players see and the All around zero visability. Would your suggestion / work around let a player see inside a building &nbsp;(and the decorations) &nbsp; but not be able to see monster tokens within that building ? &nbsp; (So the can see the map but not the monsters) &nbsp; i tried to set something up like that but couldent get it to work (acording the the players that helped me test)

Edited 1468650035
Gold
Forum Champion
If you put light sources (such as casting dim lighting on the inside), GM's who do this method usually move the Monsters to the GM Layer until it's time for the Players to see them. wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Layers" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Layers</a>
I'm looking at simulating night time on one of my outdoor maps and curious to know if this has been resolved without requiring the use of dimming tokens?
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .