Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Playing with players across the oceans.......

Just curious for those who play online with people that are across the ocean,  what are your experiences with laggyness or with the distance between you two.   I guess what i'm saying is,  is there much latency between you guys? 
Never really been a problem for me.

Edited 1468723992
Gold
Forum Champion
I haven't had any additional problems in connection lag with players from other continents. Sure we've had the usual problems, whether it's the person's home WiFi glitch, or someone has an old computer or a slow internet service, or the times when Roll20 has a hiccup. Nothing that seemed attributable to distances around the Earth. I've played with people from as-far-away as I could point on the opposite side of the globe, and regularly have players separated by oceans from 2-3 continents in a game.  In my experience I would say (surprisingly perhaps) no detectable added latency at all. We converse and chat and play in real time. Thinking about it now, it is really such an honor to meet gamers from other countries and play creative games with talking, interaction on here, people who I otherwise probably wouldn't meet or get to know them in extended conversations week to week like this.
I've had players from around the world at various times, the only one who ever had any significant lag was in China. Everyone else, you would never know they were halfway around the planet.

Edited 1468741767
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm in the US, and I've played with people in Sweden and Australia with no significant problems. Obviously if you've got players that far apart, someone is going to be participating in abnormal hours for them, but that's something you clarify before starting the game.
No problem what so ever to be honest.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I run 2 games of 13th Age with players in Australia, Saipan, and across the United States. I use Roll20 over Hangouts with almost no trouble at all. Sometimes one of my players will have a problem like delay between clicking a roll on their character sheet and it showing up in chat, but that seems to affect only them.
I play with a person in China and his connection is sometimes better than players in the states. 
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
No issues at all.  Skype was more of a hindrance than Roll20 has ever been in that regard.
I have a (mostly) weekly game with players from Germany, USA, Morocco and Russia at the same time. Sometimes we experience some connection drops, but in general it runs pretty smoothly. We even have to use the internal video/voice chat system (because of Morocco's ban of VoIP services) which most people seem to replace by Hangouts or Skype or similar.
Have played with people in Britain, Germany, and Australia.  Never had any problems..
I'm a UK player and all of my games are with people who are not in the UK. Until somewhat recently my computer was part of the problem with an older skype and certain accounts for games etc locked. With a slightly upgraded OS/Parts and a reasonable connection and an up-to-date Skype I've found my calls have improved to a reasonable level with issues being if a player is in the bad parts of America or in Australia. In a FPS this translate from old pings being around 240 and current pings being 110, in vocal communication over skype this isn't so bad providing people let you speak; if skype is failing you I would recommend switching to a hosted service like teamspeak or ventrilo/mumble or discord. This will provide an easier joining time and hopefully remove some of the lag. The biggest tip I can provide ( in the cases of those with old skype still ) is they have to Host. Period. New skype connects to old - not the other way. Also, if someone is in the bad part of America ( of whom have yet to be upgraded to modern standards ) do not like them or someone out of America host the call. Find the middle person and have them host it.