Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Randomizing character creation for DND5 with scripts in Roll20

Since my last post was deleted I'll restructure it to fit the community guidelines. Has anyone used any scripts for DND5 on Roll20 to randomize character creation? If so, how did you do it. If not, is this something you would want? I ask because I'm a developer and I've thought of writing something but don't want to waste time if there is an easy solution. Thoughts?
Are you speaking about the ability scores? I believe many people use some sort of macro for this. I use one to roll 4d6 keeping the highest three six times. Other people have used powercards I believe to do something similar. 
Gary W. said: Are you speaking about the ability scores? I believe many people use some sort of macro for this. I use one to roll 4d6 keeping the highest three six times. Other people have used powercards I believe to do something similar.  Nope. I'm talking about the whole shebang. Randomizing race, class, stats, occupation, sub-race, gender. I think it'd be useful for NPC creation. Maybe something that randomizes the available info via the api?
That sounds interesting, but a ton of work. Could be very cool.
Such a script could be truly awesome if it automatically created a character and populated the 5e SRD character sheet with the results. Some things to consider: command line parameters to limit randomization, such as 4d6 vs 3d6 for stats (heroes vs commoners) use rollable tables for lists such available races, classes, jobs, personality traits, etc. so each campaign can be different (and the individual DM can set weights for chances something comes up) Good luck if you decide to develop it!
Yeah, I think I'll start developing it. There is a lot to consider like Three of Swords mentions. When I run a game I get tired of the manual labor involved in 1. creating tons of monster tokens with stats from the monster manual and 2. creating tons of NPC's manually. Stay tuned. Also, if anyone has any more suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you decide to take this on I would recommend utilising the following scripts from The Aaron to save the endurance feat of making multiple rollable tables and having to find a way to use/call them: Table Export (also does import!) Recursive Tables (allows tables to do inline rolls, including rolling on other tables)
The Aaron is my role model! All of his scripts are great. I'll definetly take a look at those scripts. Thanks!

Edited 1469124363
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
(There are a few I'd like to disown for their shameful code... (don't look at Calendar's source...).  Join me anytime on  Gitter to talk shop! =D )