Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Seeking players for playtest session(s): "9,401" — an SF hardboiled procedural/thriller

9,401 The date is 3033 AD: 630 years after the destruction of Earth. In the colony Cockaigne on the planet 39 Tauri II, the recipients demand either equality or death. The Commune is not inclined to give them equality. The Empire is not inclined to let them die. On a world on the brink of conflagration, a lone crackpot pleads for justice. With a billion lives at stake, what are you prepared to do ? Genre : Science fiction, police procedural, mystery-thriller System : ForeSight (where needed: I'll play this rules-light) Teams : Five (5) idealistic Imperial officers Story : 4/5 Combat : 1/5 Seriousness : 4/5 Rules knowledge : 1/5 Adult content : 3/5 The Imperial News Service advises that this footage may disturb some viewers.
I have a campaign sufficiently prepped that I would be able to run it as well as I did at the con it was designed for. Setting up pages for the standard encounters will be some help, but isn't necessary. I'll do that if I get a couple of days. The adventure ran in four-hour slots at the con. It's designed for five players but can get by with four and maybe even with three. • I'm willing to run it at about 11 AM to 3 PM my time, which would be 7 PM – 11 PM American Central standard time, and ought to be okay for someone in the US Eastern time zone if they are okay staying up to midnight and for someone in the US Mountain time zone if they can get home from work and start at 6 PM. • I'm willing to run it 1 PM to 5 PM my time, which is 7PM – 11 PM Pacific standard time, 8 PM – midnight Mountain standard time. Or perhaps an hour later if that would suit the players. But I couldn't do that on Monday or Wednesday, which would be Sunday night or Tuesday night in the USA. • I'm willing to run it from 8 PM to midnight my time, which would be 10 AM to 2 PM standard time in the UK and Portugal, 11 AM to 3 PM standard time in western and central Europe and in Scandinavia. That might be suitable on a Saturday or Sunday, but I can't do it this coming Saturday (the 12th of May). Are there five beta-testers (including beta-test minions) keen to play in any of those time zones?
Player characters Inspector Kemal Thórrson • senior investigator, street detective, interrogator • world-weary cynic Lt. Sulanne Ashbless, MD • crime scene expert, forensic pathologist, surgeon • hard-nosed, steely-eyed Imperial fanatic Special agent Athene Ishikawa • detective, criminal psychologist • bright, engaging, Imperial enthusiast Special agent Osiris Lethe • fraud & cybercrime expert • palimpsest (rehabilitated felon) Corporal Subiya Naiooka, Imperial Marines • military cop, combat medic, commando • unflappable professional of the controlled use of violence
Just for the record, (if I'm recognising the picture) I played in one of Agemegos' Flat Black freeforms when I lived in Canberra, well worth the effort and I'd highly recommend it if you have the time free.
Thanks for the plug! Do you recall which one you played in? "Uninvited Guests"?, "Après Moi, L'Enfer"?, "A Planet of No Importance"? The thing I'm planning to run, "9,401", is a slightly re-tooled version of "Après Moi, L'Enfer".
Pete
KS Backer
I'm interested, but all your timezone information is making my head spin! ;) Please can you list the game slots in a single timezone (without trying to make me calculate which timezone is "yours") so I can easily convert them and figure out which one (if any) I am available to play in? (I am living in CET/CEST) <a href="http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cest.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cest.html</a> Thanks!
In UTC (a.k.a. Greenwich Mean Time, a.k.a. ZULU Time) the slots I'm suggesting are: • 01:00 – 05:00 • 03:00 – 07:00 • 10:00 – 14:00 Which is intended as a simplification of the fact that I'm able to start any time* from 22:00 ZULU to 10:00 ZULU, and expect the game to run about four hours. * Offer is qualified: I teach from 06:00 to 09:00 UTC on Mondays and Wednesdays, run another game from 09:30 to 13:30 UTC on Wednesdays, have a medical commitment from 22:00 UTC every third Wednesday to 02:00 UTC the following day and am often not very chipper after it, and occasionally have an evening social commitment.
I can't remember the name of the game but it ran at AS and XK's house and a good time was had by all.
Ah! Not one of my con games, then, unless it were the playtest for "Uninvited Guests".
Pete
KS Backer
In UTC (a.k.a. Greenwich Mean Time, a.k.a. ZULU Time) the slots I'm offering are Great, thanks! Unfortunately the only one I could realistically play in is on Saturday when I'm certain I won't be available. Thanks for the offer though, sounds like fun!
This Saturday (12 May) is not possible for me either. What about some other weekend?
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
After sparring with you verbally a bit, Ape, I have to admit you have me as curious as this con game. I might be able to get at least one GM-minion who may also wish to play, and sounds like she might BE Ashbless in her dreams, if not for the medical degree. Personally, I'm curious about Osiris. I'm still puzzling through the timezone issues, myself. I'm US/EST, but we're also observing daylight savings time in this region, which may have us an hour ahead of the estimated time.. and.. gah! my brain, it just leaped free of my head! Wait.. did it just grab a stick? No! Someone, protect the politicians before it can get them! Wait.. no, don't! Let it go! Let it do its thing! Anarchy! Anarchy! Ahem! Sorry, daylight savings is kind of.. a hot button subject.
Time zones are the work of the Devil. Summer time is the work of Benjamin Franklin. Let's consider the latest you and your minion would be willing to play on a Tuesday night. That way we get a chance to include you and Kage, who is one time zone west of (earlier than) you and who for all I know might or might not be saving daylight.
Tuesday for myself and my gf works well!
Ah! Not one of my con games, then, unless it were the playtest for "Uninvited Guests". Yeah, I seem to remember it was a playtest.
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Age: So, a Tuesday night... we might be willing to go as late as 1:00am EST. That is, if its a Tuesday night our time... it's weird doing the "Is it MY day, or HIS day that we're talking about here?" moment. But we'll work it out.
Right. Tuesday evening your time. Never mind my time, I'll worry about that. You're okay to play as late as 1 AM Wednesday morning US Eastern Standard time, right? Or 1 AM Wednesday morning US Eastern Summer Time?
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
...Eastern Summer Time would be correct, yes. Heh. We should be free a little before, or at latest by, 9pm EST. Trying to work around our work schedules. I also ran it all past my minion, who gave it the nodded go-ahead. So that's two of us, at least . Depending on others, of course. :)
Okay then. 01:00 ZULU Wednesday to 05:00 ZULU Wednesday, 16th of May 2012. • In US Eastern Daylight-saving Time that is 9 PM Tuesday 15th of May to 1 AM Wednesday. • In US Eastern Standard Time that is 8 PM to midnight, Tuesday 15th of May. • In US Central Daylight-saving Time that is 8 PM Tuesday to midnight Tuesday 15th of May. • In US Central Standard Time that is 7 PM to 11 PM Tuesday 15th of May. The following people have expressed interest in playing at that time: • Blazedd and his girlfriend • Kage • John Stapleton • Deightine plus one. Unfortunately that is six players, and I have designed the scenario for, and generated, five characters. Is someone going to drop out, do we draw straws, or shall I try to shoe-horn in a sixth character? I wouldn't be very keen to add a sixth character, because I think that that is too large a party. Or we recruit another four players and I run twice.
Note: Structurally, this adventure is a thriller. But it is in fancy dress as a police procedural, and it helps if players are able to deal quickly and smoothly with the routine of a procedural investigation. Fans of an police procedural TV show, such as Law & Order , CSI , NCIS , or even Castle ought to have little trouble with the characters who are detectives, and the marine, Naiooka, is provided for the player who is least confident about conducting a routine murder investigation TV-style.
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Hopefully we can scare up a few more people and split it. The drawing straws portion of this sort of moment always attacks the old he's-too-Canadian-to-be-impolite ulcers and makes me tempted to drop out in favor of making life easier. Considering the additional description you just gave, I'm starting to suspect that my 'plus one' (my better half) may enjoy this far more than I; so if it gets closer to Tuesday and we haven't found a solution, I may step aside in favor of receiving her debrief on it. She eats procedural dramas and thrillers like candy. I think Se7en is on her top-3 movies of all time list.
Let's not cross any bridges before we get to them. We don't know yet that that time is convenient and this coming Tuesday evening free for everyone who has expressed an interest yet. So let's ask everyone: is this coming Tuesday evening, 15th of May, convenient? If the best comes to the best and we attract another three-to-four members and minions: who was it who could play only on Tuesday? Is there anyone for whom some other evening would be uniquely or especially convenient? Deightine, autocorrect in the iPad thinks your nick would be better spelled "Delighting". Also, your better half is wasted on you. But on the other hand I could not bear to see a fellow Commonwealthian excluded from my game on account of nationality.
Have you thought about using a Flexvite for this? You could list available to slots and interested parties could vote the slot up or down. I think it may be less trouble than negotiating it on the forum. <a href="http://www.flexvite.com/index" rel="nofollow">http://www.flexvite.com/index</a>.
@Ixnay I hadn't heard of Flexvite until you brought it to my attention, and it certainly looks like a valuable tool. Though I don't immediately see how it handles time-zone differences. But right now our problem is not to find a time (we have already settled on 01:00 ZULU to 05:00 ZULU Wednesday the 16th of May (Tuesday evening for the players!)). The problem now is to find which five of the six interested will play that night. Our problem is really with lack of response rather than scheduling.
Righto then. Blazedd, Kage, and Deightine have been definite about Tuesday being suitable for them, whereas John Stapleton has expressed interest ony in principle and has alluded to a limited schedule. So I'll run this coming Tuesday night, 15th of May, (according to the time zone of the players, who are in the eastern part of North America and equivalent time-zones), and the players will be Deightine and his better half, Blazedd and his girlfriend, and Kage. I'm open to the idea of running another instance on another date, at which John Stapleton would be most welcome to play. The adventure is a simple one that ran in three-hour sessions at the con I designed it for. So we ought to be able to whip through it in four. I plan to start at 01:00 UTC (ZULU, Greenwich Mean Time) Wednesday, which is anything from 7PM to 9PM Tuesday between the Mississippi and the Atlantic, depending on daylight saving and so forth. Please make sure of the conversion in your location. I will send Blazedd, Deightine, and Kage the campaign link as soon as I get back to my stationary device. It would be good if each player were to visit the page before we start, because that way I will be able to deal with the fiddly business of assigning characters, tokens, character sheets, equipment lists, and briefings at my leisure before we start. At the con I handed out the character sheets at registration, but naturally few read and many lost them before their game time. I had spares. So I can cope with assigning and reading characters at the beginning of the session on Tuesday, but I would like to handle it in a more rational fashion if possible. Deightine's better half fancies playing Ashbless, Deightine is intrigued by Lethe, the character Lethe is provided for the player who feels least confident about working quickly through a routine murder investigation in the style of a TV show like NCIS or Law & Order .
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
I can take a different one than Lethe if we have someone in need of a lighter weight character--my interest is more due to my personal background, which includes a bit of computer forensics, some research on social engineering, a lot of coding, and a sound beating about the head with the paranoid dystopia stick. Alternately, Kemal and Subiya are also appealing in their fashion. I once ran roughshod over (to the delight of everyone including the GM) a Stargate game by playing a diplomat like a hardboiled militant. So, there is room to breathe in there. I'd have said Athene, but as I am 3 credit hours from finishing a Psychology degree (including Forensic Psych background), and well... it felt like cheating.
Got it. You are happy to play any character except Ishikawa.
Blazedd's girlfriend has told me by a message that her schedule at work has changed and that she will not now be able to take part. Let's hope that John Stapleton will be free on Tuesday.
We're starting in 47 hours and 50 minutes.
19 hours.
It is 00:55 UTC. I am about to begin.
01:10 UTC. Blazedd, you are late