Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Game List] Add D20 Systems as an option.

The D20 family of games encompasses many genres and hundreds of settings. They all have their origins in WoTC's OGL and include games such as Dungeons and Dragons 3.x (which already has its' own listing), Modern, Future, Black Company, Thieves' World, Cyber, Past, Wild West, etc, etc. In my opinion a "D20 Systems" addition to the game list on the LFG page would assist in finding games that follow the D20 rules and concepts for those interested.
Yeah, no d20 modern is like wut??
Jason, I am asking for "D20 Systems" as I currently own over 200 titles that belong to the D20 rule set. There are WoTC variants like D20 Past, D20 Future, and D20 Apocalypse much less all of the others out there. My latest addition was Prime Directive: a D20 edition of the old Star Trek game. I won't even begin to list all of them. But it would make it easier for anyone interested in running or playing a D20-based game to have it in the game list.
D20 Systems feature a ruleset that is already well established amongst tabletop gamers in part due to it's similarities to the popular DnD 3.x. However, the key distinction is that the ruleset does not follow a rigid theme and, typically lacking the extensive details of its more popular variants, any variety of campaigns can be played and made using this versatile system and already have. While it is a bit broad and finding a game running on D20 systems is bit like finding wood in the forest, it does provide a useful filter for those who want to distance themselves from the system in favor of something more obscure, more narrative driven, or those who take issue with some of its mechanics. While this proposal seems a bit unusual, it would no doubt be an excellent idea to at least include a parent system as an option for filtering, as it would not only allow players to filter in or out a very popular ruleset, but would likely save the development team a few complaints and a lot of work while they wait for the time to add in the other D20 variants to their listing.

Edited 1437122411
Yes. List the more popular open gaming liscense products. D20 Modern. Midnight. Spycraft. Star Wars. Mutants and Masterminds. Better yet, don't discriminate or limit what your supporters and ussers ar einterested in playing. If they want to post they're only interested in D20 Call of Cthulhu, why can't they have the ability to list that? D&D 3.5 is not a catchall. I've ran a weird-fiction detective game using D20 Modern for 8 months on here, it's gained insterest and traction. I've played a D20 based cyberpunk game for about a year here. Why limit the listings for what people enjoy playing? 3.5 games where you kill kobolds and wear conical hats are usually worlds apart from what interests players of D20 (Other). I simply do not see the point in not including certain products. Why are we limited to what is acceptable by moderator standards as a gaming system? Now, you could make the GURPS argument. You could say that since the SRD open gaming liscence is so diversified, it's generic, and that D&D 3.5 covers this entire system. But this is not true, as the clientele, the players attracted to my D20 game that is more similiar to True Detective, or Mulholland Drive than it is Forgotten Reams are on a completely different spectrum of what they deign worthy of playing, what they are looking for, what they enjoy. All this said. What is the point of limiting what Roll20 users state they are looking for to a select predetermined number of gaming systems? Why not allow for settings to be listed in the "player is looking for" options? For example, if I am interested only in joining a Planescape game, why should that fall under the catchall fishing-net of AD&D? The experience of spulunking for gold with murder hobos who just want to put an axe in an ogre is nothing like the slipstream literary setting based on intrigue, planar adventure and philosophical concepts. It's like stating Harlan Ellison is the same as Robert E Howard, since they are both fantasy writers. Hell, it's even worse. Since the D20 System is not limited to one single genre of RPG, it's the same as comparing Neuromancer to Twilight. It's uncomparable, completey. Just because Penthouse letters and James Joyce are written in the English language, this does not mean both of these things are just like the other, both of these things correspond. So quit limiting your patrons. Quit being counter productive. The whole concept of limiting what we are able to list as our gaming interests provides no benefits that I can see. It just creates a needless amount of time and energy searching for likeminded DMs and players, even though they are out there on this very site. If the gaming systems diversified to include settings, and systems of lesser popularity, what would be the downside? I see none. I see it only as making your product more effiecent for those who use it.
I have actually come to Roll20 specifically to run (and hopefully play) D20 Modern/Future games. As a newcomer to this community, I know pretty much nothing about how games get officially listed and popularized. Going to check into that as soon as I finish this post. Whatever the details, I am absolutely in favor of promoting D20 games in general and D20 Modern/Future in particular.  I'm not sure I understand why we're laying all of the blame on the Devs, though. As I understand it, Roll20 already supports 3.5 rules in general, but the character sheet that's available is actually the work of a dedicated community member. From what I can tell, our own character sheet is the main thing we need, or even a modified version of the D&D 3.5 sheet, if that's allowed. I'm not a coder of any competence, but I'd be happy to help to create a full featured D20 Modern/Future sheet in any way I can. I think that if we can get that done, and start running and playing D20 (Other) games, the Devs will promote our interests as a matter of course. One way or the other, I certainly intend to get some D20 (Other) going on.
i too came here with the main goal of d20 Modern (and beyond), i have built a campaign that i think is entertaining and would love to share it. I think the list should have the popular auto-fills like it does too but you should be able to add your own tags, then it will gain popularity and you will know what to add to the list.
I would love d20 modern added as I am going to start a game and also want to play in one.
Given that I'm about to start a Star Trek PDd20 Modern game I'm very much in favor of this.

Edited 1497216610
I was advised to throw my voice in this thread as well. I am currently attempting to get a D20 Modern game going but was forced to list it as D&D 3.5 due to a lack of the appropriate option. This seems especially odd since there is a D20 Modern character sheet on Roll20 (I don't know how good it is, but I know it exists). I wouldn't say that D20 Past and D20 Future are worthy additions to the list since they are supplements to D20 Modern rather than games in their own right -- as with Urban Arcana, Cyberscape, Apocalypse... danniel p. said: The whole concept of limiting what we are able to list as our gaming interests provides no benefits that I can see. There is, in fact, one benefit. It keeps games from being listed as, say, "D20 Modren" or "D20 Modern With Some Homebrew" and other such nonsense that won't appear if you look for "D20 Modern" specifically. This is a problem on other sites such as, say, RPoL. Opening the floodgates would entail a need for some kind of heuristic analysis that will result in you getting undesired results in a search.

Edited 1497300027
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
LoonyLadle said: I am currently attempting to get a D20 Modern game going but was forced to list it as D&D 3.5 due to a lack of the appropriate option. This seems especially odd since there is a D20 Modern character sheet on Roll20 (I don't know how good it is, but I know it exists). Character sheets exist by virtue of somebody in the community deciding to create it. An entry in the game listing exists by virtue of a sufficient number of games on the platform using that system. (No, I don't know what that threshold is.) I mean, I created a character sheet for "Yogsquest" and "Unknown Ponies: Failure is Awesome", and I would bet a lot of money that those systems see very little play. (I haven't even played Yogsquest myself; I created the sheet on request from someone else.) LoonyLadle said: There is, in fact, one benefit. It keeps games from being listed as, say, "D20 Modren" or "D20 Modern With Some Homebrew" and other such nonsense that won't appear if you look for "D20 Modern" specifically. This is a problem on other sites such as, say, RPoL. Opening the floodgates would entail a need for some kind of heuristic analysis that will result in you getting undesired results in a search. Exactly this. In fact, Roll20 used to  have freeform input for the system as you describe, and we had exactly this problem.
We have listings for systems people don't even play that much, and yet we don't have a "D-20 Modern" systems one. Why do we have Fallout as one, when I don't know anyone who plays that RPG on here? When I look for games, I find like one or two.
Starfinder gets on the list with 13 votes while D20 Modern has 16 and been suggested for two years?? No love for old systems. U got my votes!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The games dropdown menu exist to help standardize the options available (example: 4E vs. 4th Edition vs. D&D4, etc). No matter how many games are listed, some may not make the cut. Games are added to the list periodically. This ensures obscure listings gain greater visibility when sorted via the Other Games option and helps keep away “empty” search listings for underrepresented titles. If you feel a game should be listed, encourage your community members to play and post often. The more community attention a title receives the more likely it is to be added to the list. Note: the suggestions forum is a good place to drum up support but the number of votes isn't necessarily a metric for adding a game to the list.
I almost fell out of my chair: I glanced at the game list seeing after reading it was updated and saw that D20 Modern made the list at last. Going to have to restarted my Modern game now to celebrate. Asking for D20 games as a class to be added might have been a bridge too far: but I'll certainly be thankful that D20 Modern made the cut after three years. Now if a mod or dev can come by and free the votes?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Somehow I missed this thread when I was closing all of the "Please add X to the gamelist" suggestions. Just to be clear: The Suggestions forum will never be a route to getting games added to the dropdown list.  :)  Closing thread to release all votes.