Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 Update 7/13: Library Rework

Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Brian A. said: So am i going to get a response as to why i make a  new folder it just disappears? Where is it going? Hi Brian, a  console log might be useful in identifying any potential system based problems.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Dave said: Frequently, I cannot drag images from the library into a handout or character sheet. It just stops dragging once you're over the desktop, and it goes "behind" the handout instead of onto it. This problem seems to exist in both Chrome and Firefox. Same here.  I've had better luck, stretching the journal/handout very wide and dragging to that.  BTW, I'm not sure if you can drag/drop from sidebar search results to a journal/handout.  In case you are trying that.  ;-(
Seems like that misbehavior isn't consistent -- I've been able to drag into handouts and character sheets without issue in Chrome and FF, even though I have the other concerns above.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Brett E. said: Pixelscapes said: Is right-clicking on images found in search supposed to do anything? (It doesn't in Chrome or Firefox, for me.) It does let you rename/delete the folders, though. I too continue to have the same problem, right-clicking does nothing for me. Right-clicking opens the intended menu only when a file is listed at the very top of My Library, up above the "Recent Uploads" header. Files listed below "Recent Uploads" do nothing when right-clicked on. Before today, when I dragged a file up above the "Recent Uploads" header, I could right-click and delete it. Now when I do that, the file just re-appears down below the "Recent Uploads" header, it does not actually get deleted. Better right click menus (context menus) are incoming. It's something we know is important for ease of use. As for removing something from the library and it re-appearing in the Recent Uploads that's the intended behavior. You can make as many "copies" of an asset to store however you choose in your library structure. If you remove it from Recent Uploads you're actually removing the image and all it's copies from your account. If you un-filter your Recent Uploads you'll see all your assets regardless of whether they're in your folder structure or not.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Dave said: Frequently, I cannot drag images from the library into a handout or character sheet. It just stops dragging once you're over the desktop, and it goes "behind" the handout instead of onto it. This problem seems to exist in both Chrome and Firefox. I've had a couple people complain of this but I haven't been able to replicate it on Chrome or Firefox in OSX El Captian or Windows 10. Can you provide your OS and Browser/Version. Also have you tried turning off all addons and extensions?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Brian A. said: ???????????????????? I just tested your account from my computer and was able to add a folder without issue. What browser/version and operating system are you using. Have you tried disabling your extensions and addons? Can you provide a browser console log of when the folder fails to be added?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Steve K. said: Dave said: Frequently, I cannot drag images from the library into a handout or character sheet. It just stops dragging once you're over the desktop, and it goes "behind" the handout instead of onto it. This problem seems to exist in both Chrome and Firefox. I've had a couple people complain of this but I haven't been able to replicate it on Chrome or Firefox in OSX El Captian or Windows 10. Can you provide your OS and Browser/Version. Also have you tried turning off all addons and extensions? The closest I've come to replicating this is when I have a lot of transparency around an image, when dragging it onto the sheet etc I have to make sure my cursor is over the box rather than just the image, especially if it is a big image... ignore if that doesn't apply here but have been unable to replicate the issue either otherwise :(

Edited 1470071327
Thank You it is working now. How do i add stuff to the folder? I have this problem now too! Frequently, I cannot drag images from the library into a handout or character sheet. It just stops dragging once you're over the desktop, and it goes "behind" the handout instead of onto it. This problem seems to exist in both Chrome and Firefox.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Brian A. said: Thank You it is working now. How do i add stuff to the folder? I have this problem now too! Frequently, I cannot drag images from the library into a handout or character sheet. It just stops dragging once you're over the desktop, and it goes "behind" the handout instead of onto it. This problem seems to exist in both Chrome and Firefox. I think I might have just figured out the issue. There used to be a difference between dropping an asset on the tabletop and moving it in the folder structure based on its handle (three lines that appear when you hover over an asset) and it's body (the name or url). Try dragging it by the body and see if that resolves your issue.
Steve K. said: Brian A. said: Thank You it is working now. How do i add stuff to the folder? I have this problem now too! Frequently, I cannot drag images from the library into a handout or character sheet. It just stops dragging once you're over the desktop, and it goes "behind" the handout instead of onto it. This problem seems to exist in both Chrome and Firefox. I think I might have just figured out the issue. There used to be a difference between dropping an asset on the tabletop and moving it in the folder structure based on its handle (three lines that appear when you hover over an asset) and it's body (the name or url). Try dragging it by the body and see if that resolves your issue. This seems to resolve my issue. I will report back if anything new crops up. Thank you!

Edited 1470085362
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I've moved all my Recent Upload images into an Assets folder, but I can't seem seem to delete a folder(Characters) within my "Assets" folder that includes two empty folders(Test and Test).  I tried deleting the two sub-folders and then the parent, as well as deleting the "Characters" folder directly, but they always remain.  Suggestions?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Vince said: I've moved all my Recent Upload images into an Assets folder, but I can't seem seem to delete a folder(Characters) within my "Assets" folder that includes two empty folders(Test and Test).  I tried deleting the two sub-folders and then the parent, as well as deleting the "Characters" folder directly, but they always remain.  Suggestions? That sounds like the bugged folders from an error a few patches ago that I've been cleaning up for some others. If you delete it and immediately delete it again when it doesn't go away, it should go away for good. If it doesn't let me know and I'll fix it for you on our end.
It still isn't working for me. All it does is drag it to the tabletop! This is frustrating because it works the way it should for the handouts and character sheets but not the art section.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Steve K. said: Vince said: I've moved all my Recent Upload images into an Assets folder, but I can't seem seem to delete a folder(Characters) within my "Assets" folder that includes two empty folders(Test and Test).  I tried deleting the two sub-folders and then the parent, as well as deleting the "Characters" folder directly, but they always remain.  Suggestions? That sounds like the bugged folders from an error a few patches ago that I've been cleaning up for some others. If you delete it and immediately delete it again when it doesn't go away, it should go away for good. If it doesn't let me know and I'll fix it for you on our end. They must be buggy.  Although the folders seem to delete, as soon as I open the parent folder it is still there. ;-(
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian A. said: It still isn't working for me. All it does is drag it to the tabletop! This is frustrating because it works the way it should for the handouts and character sheets but not the art section. Same issue for me.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Brian A. said: It still isn't working for me. All it does is drag it to the tabletop! This is frustrating because it works the way it should for the handouts and character sheets but not the art section. You can't currently drag into the folder view. A day ago you said you couldn't drag into Handouts or Character Sheets which is what I was addressing.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Vince said: Steve K. said: Vince said: I've moved all my Recent Upload images into an Assets folder, but I can't seem seem to delete a folder(Characters) within my "Assets" folder that includes two empty folders(Test and Test).  I tried deleting the two sub-folders and then the parent, as well as deleting the "Characters" folder directly, but they always remain.  Suggestions? That sounds like the bugged folders from an error a few patches ago that I've been cleaning up for some others. If you delete it and immediately delete it again when it doesn't go away, it should go away for good. If it doesn't let me know and I'll fix it for you on our end. They must be buggy.  Although the folders seem to delete, as soon as I open the parent folder it is still there. ;-( This should be fixed for you.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Pixelscapes said: Oh and a bug report: when a search term includes the name of a folder, no results from my library come up, it just spins "Searching your Library..." forever. This happens even if you also have images including that word. This should now be fixed.
Steve K. said: Brian A. said: It still isn't working for me. All it does is drag it to the tabletop! This is frustrating because it works the way it should for the handouts and character sheets but not the art section. You can't currently drag into the folder view. A day ago you said you couldn't drag into Handouts or Character Sheets which is what I was addressing. So then how do you use a folder if you can't dr ag  an im age to it?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Brian A. said: Steve K. said: Brian A. said: It still isn't working for me. All it does is drag it to the tabletop! This is frustrating because it works the way it should for the handouts and character sheets but not the art section. You can't currently drag into the folder view. A day ago you said you couldn't drag into Handouts or Character Sheets which is what I was addressing. So then how do you use a folder if you can't dr ag  an im age to it? You can select multiple assets to delete, tag, or move into the folder structure in the Art Library tab.
It would seem more intuitive to be able to search in the side bar and then drag to an open folder view window. Being able to drag and drop both ways seems like the best bet.
Steve K. said: Brian A. said: Steve K. said: Brian A. said: It still isn't working for me. All it does is drag it to the tabletop! This is frustrating because it works the way it should for the handouts and character sheets but not the art section. You can't currently drag into the folder view. A day ago you said you couldn't drag into Handouts or Character Sheets which is what I was addressing. So then how do you use a folder if you can't dr ag  an im age to it? You can select multiple assets to delete, tag, or move into the folder structure in the Art Library tab. Except for the simple fact that you can't do this! So since you won't answer my question i'm going to assume that: A: You don't know how to give us the drag and drop functionality that we have for character sheets and handouts. or B: You don't care if we don't like the changes that you made to the system and it is currently fixed to only your satisfaction. In the future i would hope that any changes made to the system would be more thoroughly tested by all users instead of only pro subscribers and that we have the same consistency in functionality for the entire program and not one part of it. Drag and drop functionality is the best part of the system for roll 20. I can only speak for myself when i say up until now that everyone here at roll 20 has been more than helpful in solving my problems here on the forums and i hope that that kind of service continues in the future. Not having the functionality that i need to make maps and organize my art assets though severely limits what i can do as a DM with the program. I hope that you take all users suggestions into consideration and you try let each user play the games they want to play on your program to the best of your abilities. That is why i chose this system in the first place. Sure the learning curve is steep but once you put in the hard work to get everything going it is worth it in the end. Breaking the basic function of the program though is just to much work to do and takes all of the fun and creativity out of the program. I would also like to refer you to the video by Vince above this post because it accurately depicts what all users are experiencing with this issue.
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Brian A. You can drag items by the "handle" (three lines) into folders in the sidebar. Easiest way to do this is to collapse all your folders (+/- icons to the left of the name), then drag an art asset (by the handle) just underneath one of your folder names (in the sidebar), then expand the folder and drag that art asset into the folder itself. On to suggestions. Please add a search function to the popup folder view. Please allow drag to tabletop from the popup folder view. As others have suggested, please allow dragging from recent uploads into folder popup view for cataloging into folders. Consider eliminating the "handle" concept. It's mostly just confusing when you have to use the handles vs when you can drag by the name. Consider renaming "recent uploads". That name doesn't convey the fact that this is your permanent archive, or underlying data store.
Greetings users! As a reminder... We promote a healthy and positive discourse on the forums. It is expected that all discussions here will have a tone of respect per our  CoC . Please remember these rules when posting in this thread.

Edited 1470180012
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Brian A. said: Steve K. said: Brian A. said: Steve K. said: Brian A. said: It still isn't working for me. All it does is drag it to the tabletop! This is frustrating because it works the way it should for the handouts and character sheets but not the art section. You can't currently drag into the folder view. A day ago you said you couldn't drag into Handouts or Character Sheets which is what I was addressing. So then how do you use a folder if you can't dr ag  an im age to it? You can select multiple assets to delete, tag, or move into the folder structure in the Art Library tab. Except for the simple fact that you can't do this!  I think you might be trying to do it backwards. I've recorded a gif that shows the intended use - you use the folder popout for item selection, and then drag into the list view.
Thank You Loren!  Again all i have to say is that isn't the way the rest of the system functions currently in roll20.
plexsoup said: Please add a search function to the popup folder view. Please allow drag to tabletop from the popup folder view. As others have suggested, please allow dragging from recent uploads into folder popup view for cataloging into folders. For me, these suggestions seem like the missing links for good usability (and full function). Earlier I was concerned that I couldn't figure out how to tag older images. Now I see that you can do that as long as you can somehow find them in a folder view... but that's a challenge. For example, I see that I can run a search for "copper dragon," click the name of the token in the image library. Then the Recent Uploads Folder View appears!.... but, it doesn't actually go to the selected image (it should, shouldn't it?) in that Folder View. So as far as I can see, the only way to change tags or move older images into folders is to open the Recent Uploads Folder View and then scroll down, down, down just hoping that you spot it visually. A search option in the folder view and/or an option to pop search results up as a Folder View would fix that, as far as I can tell. When I run a search, all folders vanish, so as far as I can see we can't use that approach to drag older tokens into folders either. (And honestly, I would really prefer to just search by tag and be able to edit tags without having to folder-ize them all.)
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We pushed out an update this morning to the Image Library. You now have more context menu (right click) options in many categories, especially searched items and recent uploads. Among them you can now copy an item directly to a folder. Select the "Copy To Folder" option and begin typing the folder name, predictive searching will help you find the right folder to send the file to. You can also left click on search results to open the folder(if any) that item is stored under. We've heard your feedback on the folder view and the functionality that is important to you. It's next on our agenda following a busy weekend at Gen Con. Let us know what you think of these changes and happy rolling.
If I rename something in the Art Library/My Library then exit and reenter the game the name is set to 'null'.   If I go into Marketplace/My Library I can see that the name I entered is now a tag.   How do I change the name of something so that name appears in the Art Library/My Library list?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Steve K. said: We pushed out an update this morning to the Image Library. You now have more context menu (right click) options in many categories, especially searched items and recent uploads. Among them you can now copy an item directly to a folder. Select the "Copy To Folder" option and begin typing the folder name, predictive searching will help you find the right folder to send the file to. I must not be doing it right... I'm not seeing these new options. ;-(
I LOVE Roll20 -- it has allowed me to run my game from my new home in Tokyo with players in Texas, Ohio, and Maryland, with excellent streaming quality and good support for our much customized version of AD&D.  But, I am dreading equipping a dungeon with this non-intuitive library system.  I have been watching this forum and waiting for the new library to get to the level of quality I've come to expect.  I like the concept, but there are things that *ought* to work that just don't.  I am not seeing the right-click menu options in the recent uploads folder -- only in my created folders.  My recent uploads folder contains duplicates, and there is no way to order the images by name or filename to quickly find them for elimination. Tag search seems to work sometimes but not always.  I have not found a way to look at the tags already associated with an image to edit them or avoid duplication. Things have improved a great deal from the first unveiling, but I hope there is a vision of the interface of the future that is as seamless as the way the folders now work for character sheets and handouts. 
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We pushed out an update this morning focused around polishing the Library experience. Notable changes include an "Up One Level" arrow button in the folder view and major background performance adjustments. Let us know what you think.
Good news, if I change the name of a picture by right clicking on it in Art Library/My Library then the name is still there if I log out and back in. &nbsp;Screen capture to show what I mean:&nbsp; <a href="http://i.imgur.com/gJRrLS8.png" rel="nofollow">http://i.imgur.com/gJRrLS8.png</a> Bad news, if I click on the folder in Art Library/My Library to get a pop up of all the pictures in that folder I get an error when trying to change the name of a picture in the pop-up. &nbsp;Screen capture of the error:&nbsp; <a href="http://i.imgur.com/XvjlhY4.png" rel="nofollow">http://i.imgur.com/XvjlhY4.png</a>
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Trachten said: Bad news, if I click on the folder in Art Library/My Library to get a pop up of all the pictures in that folder I get an error when trying to change the name of a picture in the pop-up. &nbsp;Screen capture of the error:&nbsp; <a href="http://i.imgur.com/XvjlhY4.png" rel="nofollow">http://i.imgur.com/XvjlhY4.png</a> This should be fixed now.
I just checked and it worked for me, thanks!
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We pushed out an update today with some more features: Meta Data for the Recent Uploads folder, including date uploaded, file size, and total quota used. Add an asset from a search to your library will automatically add the keywords for the search as tags. You can now drag an item into the Folder View to add it to the beginning of that folder. You can now drag selected/highlighted items from the Folder View onto the VTT. Better context(right-click) options for search results. Art Library section of Tutorial updated with new content. Let us know what you think.

Edited 1471893470
Gold
Forum Champion
Steve K. said: We pushed out an update today with some more features: Let us know what you think. I like the date and file size, and I like how it is small text that is light-grey so it is not obtrusive, but you can focus on it when you need that information --- good text design on that. Can we SORT by File Size, to put all your largest files at the top? It's not too bad just focusing on the file size and looking for MB (larger files), versus KB (indicating smaller files), but a Sort ability would be handy here. Sort By Date, or Sort Largest Files First. Alternatively if the search-bar would allow searching "Files larger than 4MB" or something like that. After a brief moment of confusion -- I learned the file sizes and dates are not listed in the Recent Uploads search pane (proper terminology? Is there a better name for this section, the main Art Library tab?). File sizes and dates are listed in the Recent Uploads FOLDER (pop up? proper terminology? Would like to know the right words to use to describe the difference between the 2 ways to access and view Recent Uploads). &nbsp;To access this you single-click on a file in Recent Uploads (is this the correct and only way to open the Folder pop up view? Could there be an intuitive clearly-labeled button like "Open Recent Uploads in Larger Window View With File Sizes And Dates"?). Once this update is settled, the Roll20 Wiki needs to be updated to reflect the changes, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library</a> Thank you again for continued improvements and responsiveness to feedback.
Gold
Forum Champion
Steve, due to the age of the 1st post, this thread does not show on the Forum front-page anymore, unless it is made Sticky. Want to Sticky this thread if feedback is still being requested?

Edited 1471899661
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
&gt;&nbsp;Meta Data for the Recent Uploads folder, including date uploaded, file size, and total quota used Would it be possible to add the native dimensions too? ie: original pixel width and height. That would make it a lot easier to use the right-click/advanced/set dimensions feature. Other thread talks about the problem