Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Showing off my custom game table

Warning, a little bit of show and tell... If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it. So, I been meaning to post on here for some time now. For quite a few years I have been wanting to build a custom game table, using digital maps, to enhance my tabletop games. I have seen many various implementations of a digital table, and they all fell short of what I wanted. This led me to designing and building my won. I think what become is quite unique, and everyone loves it. I took some risk in the process and it paid off. I'd like to share what I have done with you guys, and build details are available. Also, any dev reading this, I have suggestions on how some minor features / changes could improve this process. In building this, I wanted to achieve the following: 1) I wanted a large screen in my table, and I wanted room for character sheets and books as well. 2) I wanted the screen to be flush with the table itself. 3) It needed to be protected (scratch, spill, etc) 4) I wanted it to be semi portable. The finished product is a table with a 40 inch 1080p LED TV mounted, epoxy resin coating and removable legs. Total cost of materials is around $500 Labor was more than expected, but I think worth it. The software setup: Laptop with HDMI output (or I can go through Wifi to Chromecast to have wireless) Primary monitor for DM usage logged in to DM account on Roll20. Secondary monitor for Player screen logged into player account on Roll20. Secondary screen is running in fullscreen mode, with most UI elements hidden. Fog of war is the main function I use for map reveals. Build process: Backside of TV: Adding veneer edging for look: After staining the veneer, I added Epoxy Resin. This is the same stuff used for bartops, just not too much so there is not too much space between the miniatures and the TV: And last but not least, the action shot:
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That is a great looking table and a project well done (not to mention time well spent!). Thanks for sharing... i'm particularly impressed how you manage to apply dynamic lighting to your players faces too! What subscription level is that enabled at?
David Hemenway
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Amazing table! I have a similar setup, but yours is much more polished. 
Badger
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Oh that is gorgeous. Is the tabletop itself hardwood or just plywood? Where did you get the plans for the table, or is that custom?
pretty cool

Edited 1471375795
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It looks almost like he custom made it in his garage. The underneath base appears to be 3/4" plywood with laminate applied to the top of it (think kitchen counters) and window trim used on the edges. Can't see the legs so I can't speculate on them or if there is an actual frame work under the table. Maybe he will supply so additional info or pictures.
Nice. I want to do a real table, but I just don't have to space for that kind of setup. My coffee table wall mount works well enough though.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
This is extremely impressive. I hope your players appreciate the hard work you've put into this!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If I ever get a gaming group together where I live, I will be building a dinning room table like that. The center part would have glass or poly insert over the tv to protect it.I love the raised center trim so that any spills would be kept away from the tv.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ziechael said: i'm particularly impressed how you manage to apply dynamic lighting to your players faces too! What subscription level is that enabled at? Nah, that's clearly FoW, not DL. =P
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Could you post or PM the building details, that looks like a fun project to attempt
Badger said: Oh that is gorgeous. Is the tabletop itself hardwood or just plywood? Where did you get the plans for the table, or is that custom? Its 1" plywood, I custom made it Pat S. said: It looks almost like he custom made it in his garage. The underneath base appears to be 3/4" plywood with laminate applied to the top of it (think kitchen counters) and window trim used on the edges. Can't see the legs so I can't speculate on them or if there is an actual frame work under the table. Maybe he will supply so additional info or pictures. Its Epoxy Resin, 1/8" thick. The edges are wood veneer edging on the sides and around the TV, which I stained to give a contrast. I'll post some more pictures tonight on that process when I get home from work. There is framing underneath for the TV. The legs screw into a mounting bracket so they can be removed. Scott C. said: Could you post or PM the building details, that looks like a fun project to attempt I pretty much custom made it around the TV, which I think you need to. If people are interested, I will post the steps I took. It's not too difficult, but there are some tricky spots where timing needs to be right (epoxy pour).
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, it'd be dependent on your tv, but it'd be helpful to know where some of the pitfalls that you ran into were rather than discovering them all over again myself (aka I'm more than happy to take advantage of your trailblazing ;) )
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Really amazing table, and great to show off your table and even represent roll20 gaming system on the flat screen. Very sweet set up. Thanks for sharing.

Edited 1471738045
Here's a couple more photos of the process.. The legs I got from Amazon. And here's an idea of what the bracing looks like before it's cleaned up.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Spiffy!  I've always wanted to build a gaming table, it might finally be time... =D
Amazing work Feltz! Thanks for sharing.
David Hemenway
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Now I wanna update my own. 😀