Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copy Game Not Copying Pages or Journal

Hello, Recently I have been unable to copy my game to create a backup. This has worked for me before with this game as recently as a month ago. Currently when I go to the Copy Game page, select the items I want to copy, and click 'I'm ready, Create Game!' a new blank game is generated. I have tried copying just pages, just journal entries, and copying both. Every time the newly created game does not have anything copied. However, this new game will have the correct name, cover image, and will be using the correct character Sheet. The game that is being copied from is using the 5E Shaped character sheet and the game has ~75 pages, with ~500 journal entries for monsters/players/npcs/handouts. There has not been much changed or added to the game since a successful copy about a month ago. I have tried doing the recommended troubleshooting steps (disabling all add-ons, clearing cache, and disabling anti-virus) in both the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox. I have also tried this a few times over the past few days. Every time I still get the same result, a blank game is generated. I have also tried these steps with Firebug running and I see that the POST when clicking the 'Create Game!' button always gets an error '504 Gateway Time-out' after about 30 seconds. This error seems to be what is happening consistently no matter what items are selected to copy. Searching the bug forum I have found a few mentions of large games not being able to be copied, but those were all at least months old. I can provide more information if needed, thanks for any assistance! -Lukebev
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hey, this is a known issue for larger games. The copy process takes to long and is shut down to keep it from hogging too many resources. But, good news, even before this post it was already on the list of things we're going to try and tackle next week. We're going to attempt to make the whole process more efficient, so it shouldn't hit the "time out" stage before it finishes. You have perfect timing, and your massive campaign is going to be one of our test cases to make sure it's working. It's hard to find games this large because there are so few, so thank you for coming forward with yours. :P Sorry for the tiny delay, hopefully waiting an extra week isn't too much of an issue!
Hi Phil, Thanks for the response, this is great news! I'm going to be on vacation all next week so the timing couldn't be better :-). Please let me know if there is anything you would like from me as I would be happy to help. Thanks again!