Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Module Makers - How do you choose to load GM notes?

Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I'm thinking of putting together some modules to potentially end up on the Marketplace.  In the meantime, I'm curious.... how do the GMs load notes about the module? The sorts of things that would be in the notes: - Local rumours - Quest-leads - Module Overview information, etc. The sorts of things that would NOT be in the notes: - Monsters - Traps - etc, etc
I sometimes put notes on the GM layer, other times I put a token down with info in the name or one of the bubbles with a macro that pulls that and dumps it into chat. Depends on the situation. I like having things on the map so I don't have to dig through a folder of notes. My player handouts usually have some GM notes for me to keep things straight. I think as long as you are consistent in your approach it will be fine. People buying a module will get used to the way you set it up.
Hi Andrew, It sounds as though these would all be well suited to appear as Handouts in the Journal. You can choose to share Handouts with players or keep them visible to the GM only. You can also put GM-only information into the GM Notes section. When you're ready to explore releasing a module on the Roll20 Marketplace, feel free to reach out to us at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>!
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Ed, Thanks for some methods that hadn't entered my brain actually. &nbsp;The 'token with info' seems like a good way to handle lots of it really. &nbsp;A simple Thumb Tack sort of icon might do many of the tricks. I was thinking Handouts in the Journal, I was more seeing if there were wider conventions because I know people's note-taking can be quite idiosyncratic. &nbsp;I tended to find lots of published modules idiosyncratic, so I assume it will be all the time. :P