Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dyamic Lighting Layer: Varying Line Effects

Edited 1472548136
Hello folks, I searched several of the long dynamic lighting suggestions and didn't see this idea, so I decided to toss it up here. The idea is to expand the versatility and scope of the dynamic lighting's drawn shapes/lines to have greater effect.  The expanded "line features" I am thinking of would manifest in three ways, from what I believe (with limited programming experience) would be the easiest to implement to what I believe would be the most difficult/resource-intensive to implement: The lines on the dynamic lighting layer currently affect lighting values of tokens/objects.  They provide a 100% obstruction of the light.  I think it would be great if you could set the "transparency" of the obstructing line to create an immediate dimming of the light by a certain percentage (would ultimately allow GMs to actually create dynamic shading, with enough creativity, and to emulate partial obstructions to light (like seeing through smoke, drapes, blinds, water, etc.). This same effect could also, possibly, allow the system to apply a tint feature to the light that passes through the dynamic lighting line?  This would allow GMs to place a tinting line around a light source to force a specific color change (such as white to create a pale moonlight effect, or blue for magical blue fire, or green for radiation/toxic waste, etc.) And, the least practical of the expanded line effects, would be a way to pair lines/shapes drawn onto the dynamic lighting (or GM) layer to cause a triggered effect when a token moves across it.  Of course, I'm not talking elaborate character sheet or object/map alterations but, rather, a simple method to lay down two linked circles (think game: Portal) that when a token moves onto and sits on it the token is jumped to the paired location automatically (maybe after two second delay); essentially, a movement/re-positioning transition.  A lot of gaming systems have implemented versions of this that are highly effective while being quite minimal in design.  While I believe this would still probably be the most complicated of the three to implement, I believe it would provide great enrichment to GMs and players alike, which is why I included it here.  Many campaigns use single maps with separated areas (such as floors on a building) divided by dynamic lighting boundaries, and something like this would allow players to traverse the entire map and its areas somewhat seamlessly with a lot less clicking fatigue on the GM.   I  was not sure if this should be a single suggestions or three separate, but the general idea is the same: expanding on the interactivity and versatility of dynamic lighting lines/shapes. -Uncle B.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .