Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

DM:PC ratio on Roll20

I've been DMing for about  a year and half, and playing off and on since 3.5 of D&D. While I've used Roll20 to supplement my home game, I've never used it to play or DM a game.  I've been watching the LFG threads and looking through the game listing, but I was curious what the DM:Player ratio is on roll20 (specifically toward D&D5).  Is there an abundance of players with no DMs? Visa-versa? Are the DMs finding that they can't keep a group, and is it because there are so many options, or just scheduling? I'd like to start DMing some online games, but I wanted to get a feel for what the community looked like.  Thank you in advance, JM
Howdy! I believe it's thought that there are far more players then DMs, so you are certain to find many who will be interested in what you have to offer.  That said, you will go through a rough period when you first get your game up and running. That's been my experience anyways. This is because some players will drop out for whatever the reason. I've always just accepted this fact and continued to fill spots when needed.  Some DMs, or so I've read, like to do interviews and have detailed player applications, for their base reasons but also because if someone is willing to put that kind of work into joining your game they'll probably stick around.  Id suggest running a one shot or two to get your feet wet, if that's more your style. Or you could just jump right in. 
Thank you for the response. I figured there was more players than GMs, but having seen several games 'start' short of players, I thought I'd ask. 

Edited 1473204899
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I've never used the Looking for Group, and I don't think I've ever played with a group of people I didn't know before hand (though I have played with a great group of guys I met on Roll20!). However, based on a large amount of time spend on the forum (understatement) reading about various experiences, I think if I wanted to get started with a bunch of all new players, I'd start by running a series of one shots ever couple of weeks to build up a network of people I've played with.  I'd keep notes about their personalities and play styles, promptness and responsibility, and have them as a "stable" of possible players.  I'd then make invitations out of that group to my REAL game. I don't think I'd dive too far into the "Write me an Essay" or "wall of text asking you in one line to mention a piece of fruit in your character description" type interviews unless that's the sort of game play you expect to have. =D  Communication appears to be the most important thing, specifically around times and timezones.  Early and often messages about anything that changes, reminders the day before the game, that sort of thing. Anyway, those are my thoughts on it. =D  There are lots of threads in General if you look back a ways where people talk about both sides of the LFG process.
Dan
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The Aaron said: ... I think if I wanted to get started with a bunch of all new players, I'd start by running a series of one shots ever couple of weeks to build up a network of people I've played with.  I'd keep notes about their personalities and play styles, promptness and responsibility, and have them as a "stable" of possible players.  I'd then make invitations out of that group to my REAL game. I have experience with finding random, brand new players to play with on Roll20. A lot recently actually.  This advice is dead on the money.  This is probably the only path I'd recommend. You can write anything you want in a LFG, do interviews of sorts, and write back and forth with people for weeks... but at the end of the day, you'll want to play with a bunch of people, in a SHORT commitment setting (one-shot), and cherry pick a group of people that are reliable, and have similar playstyles to what you're looking for. Best of luck!
I have three games running on Roll 20. A D&D2E game that has run for 24 years and was ported to Roll 20 three years ago, another 2E game started here 21/2 years ago and a SWN game a year old. It takes about a year to get a stable group on Roll 20 with unknown players. I have used the one shot method with mixed results. The best method has been to get 'sane' players to refer their friends. Once you have a group they become very dedicated, more than ny old in person games ever were, but, like the princess, you will encounter a lot of 'toads' before your ideal group shows itself. That having been said, there were some great games and gamers during the wilderness period. If you go with L.F.G., I use a dump email address and put it in my L.F.G. post with "If interested send me an email at ..." this will at least tell you who read your post, ignore the PMs and go with the people who can follow simple directions. I also run a "session zero" to roll up characters and run them through a small non-combat adventure to show them how the interface works, macros, vision etc. I end this session with a combat they can't possibly win to show them how combat works. If you would like to see how my game runs, you can come in as an observer in one of my games, PM me and I will send you a schedule.
The Aaron said: I've never used the Looking for Group, and I don't think I've ever played with a group of people I didn't know before hand (though I have played with a great group of guys I met on Roll20!). However, based on a large amount of time spend on the forum (understatement) reading about various experiences, I think if I wanted to get started with a bunch of all new players, I'd start by running a series of one shots ever couple of weeks to build up a network of people I've played with.  I'd keep notes about their personalities and play styles, promptness and responsibility, and have them as a "stable" of possible players.  I'd then make invitations out of that group to my REAL game. I don't think I'd dive too far into the "Write me an Essay" or "wall of text asking you in one line to mention a piece of fruit in your character description" type interviews unless that's the sort of game play you expect to have. =D  Communication appears to be the most important thing, specifically around times and timezones.  Early and often messages about anything that changes, reminders the day before the game, that sort of thing. Anyway, those are my thoughts on it. =D  There are lots of threads in General if you look back a ways where people talk about both sides of the LFG process. What a great summary.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In the same boat as Aaron, I've only really played with people I actually  know... in fact the ability to reunite said people after so many years was what first drew me to Roll20! However one of the best ways I've seen listed for selecting a group was the use of a google form, the DM wrote the intro to the game and asked all applicants to fill out a form with a few (thats the key... just a few) questions that would be telling about how they might play. Things like: An NPC double crosses you, how do you react? Your character is knocked unconscious and doesn't receive immediate healing, how do you feel? etc etc The answers to the questions were free text and the information supplied likely helped put a well suited group together from total strangers.

Edited 1473306459
Considering the population of the forum is around 44-45% Pathfinder/DnD player ( as in, they have one such game in their active games list ) I would argue the player/GM is a lot higher than World of Darkness of which only has around a 4% population and bigger problems finding games yet alone a GM to run it. With that in mind, small application phases are needed for both games for different reasons. In a world of mass population you have to split the useless or plain wrong from the potentials and then see if they work with your current misfits - if they don't, at least in DnD you can afford to throw them back into the water and try again. In world of darkness, it's a niche game and the group as a whole decides outright if the person is going to work or not even more so... because it can sometimes take weeks to find someone who can play yet alone if they fit. Those who apply for your games, leave hooks and 'do this' in your opening posts, I've had someone ask for pictures or quote or mention something they've said to find people who actually read the disclaimers or application threads. Great way to slice down the numbers. Tell me, how often do you have to go over the rules they've "read" for new players? As for numbers barring population, I've seen more than 2 DM's to 10 people for the system because it's the hype at the moment and a portion of the DM population are likely bored of 3.5 or want to simply play and are making hay whilst the sun shines ( I don't blame them ) whereas for World of Darkness in comparison... you tend to have 10-20 players to a GM until you find 'one of those groups' then find out the GM's all hide together due to how well oiled their games can be. No matter which game you decide to run, you'll have players flock to you. All systems I've played here is dangerously low on the storyteller side of things because Human nature demands... I want to play! - and not everyone is able to storytell yet alone enjoy it.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Starting up on roll20 is rough for the above reasons. The way I went about it is keep filling slots till you get a good solid group, then stick with them. I've personally got a group of about 10 players (Not all in one game) that I pull from first whenever I start up a new game. Right now, I'm in two consistent games, one as a player, and another as a GM. The two games share 3 players. As far as actual ratio's, I'd imagine DM demand is pretty high. I can't count the number of LFG posts I've seen that basically say "Tight knit group of players looking for experienced GM." or some variation of that. A lot of the issue with keeping groups together is, in my experience, players joining games on a whim, realizing they don't like the DM, or the time-slot, or the adventure path, or what have you, and bailing because its people on the internet, and if you don't know them, you didn't really hurt their feelings. 
For me its finding a quality GM, Ive been in about 10 games now where the GM either just up and disappears, or the game gets deleted after 1 game session, I think i am cursed, because after every time i create a history for a character there is no next game. 
I have successfully used the tactic of burying specific instructions for applying to my game deep inside the narrative which explains what my game is about. My reasoning is this: If potential players are not willing to read through the advertisement listing for your campaign before deciding to apply, then they're certainly not going to read anything else you put out once the game actually begins. So you might as well eliminate those people right up front. I have a campaign here in Roll20 that's been running for about 2.5 years now. It has 4 players and I did not know any of those guys beforehand, I recruited them all by advertising from within Roll20. But they're all great players and even though I have never met them in real life, I consider them all to be very good friends. I guess my point is, by carefully reviewing applicants to your game it's possible to forge a great group of players who were originally total strangers to one another and to you. Yes, it takes time and may involve at lot of effort on your part as the DM. But it is possible to accomplish and completely worth the trouble.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I have been tempted to do stuff, but have a bunch of writing to do as is...
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
As the original poster has received a wide variety of members answering his questions with variations of the same answer, I'm going to close this thread down. Thank you all for being polite and concise on this matter while keeping it mostly pointed at roll20 (to be kept on topic). I've said my piece (personal opinion only) about the subject in a pm to Malkindred and it mirrored for the most part of what was said here so we are done here. Everyone have a nice weekend and keep the dice chucking.