Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Infinite reroll (bug ?)

Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
/roll 1d10r<11 I know this is illogical to roll this but if the limit to reroll ("11" is the example) is based on a player input or character attribute, and the player , it ends up in a infinite reroll process. Would it be possible that the roll engine avoids this ?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
The dice roller will stop at 1001 rolls, so rest assured that it is not possible to enter an infinite loop using a roll command. What is infinite is the number of "broken" rolls like this that exist. The Dev Team has previously stated that is not plausible to program safeguards against every possible "broken" roll that a user might possibly formulate.
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ok thanks. I admit I stopped (reload) the campaign seeing all the 3D Dice rolling one after the other. I didn't know about the 1001 rolls limit.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
If you're having issues loading your game due to the large number of rolls in the Text Chat, the Creator of that game can resolve them by Clearing the game's Chat Archive (note: not Clearing your Current Chat Log ). A GM might want to copy/back up the Chat Archive before the Creator clears it.
You might be able to catch a couple of big ones by pre-calculating the smallest and largest rolls before the first die is cast, then comparing it against the greater/less than functions respectively for a violation. If I understand Natha's line correctly, the max is 10, which is always going to be less than 11. In those cases, throwing a warning could catch the 1,001 rolls before they happen.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Silvyre said: The dice roller will stop at 1001 rolls, so rest assured that it is not possible to enter an infinite loop using a roll command. Are you sure? I thought it was 100.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Brian said: Silvyre said: The dice roller will stop at 1001 rolls, so rest assured that it is not possible to enter an infinite loop using a roll command. Are you sure? I thought it was 100. Yeah; checked before posting.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think 100 is the limit on queries... but i'm not as fastidious as Silvyre so i haven't checked before posting :P