Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Mini-Update 9/19: Patcher, Exit Landing Page, and Macros have moved

Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi rollers, We pushed out an update today with a few new features. Patching System We've introduced a patching system that will allow us to push out updates and corrections to modules in the future. That way if there are changes to a module, either performance enhancements, bug fixes, or updates from the publisher, we can push those out to your existing games without overwriting changes and additions you might have made. The creator of the game will be notified if a patch is available. The patch can be installed with a single click. The process may take a few seconds. There are also patch notes to review before making the decision to update. Exit Landing Page We've added an exit landing page. This is a new page that GMs of a game will go to after clicking the Exit Game button in the settings tab. This new landing page gives you a prompt to schedule your next game and add a forum post/adventure blog to your game's forum. To make the Exit Game button easier to use we've moved it to the top of the setting's tab. Macros Moved During the Settings Tab shuffle Macros have moved to what was formerly called the Decks and Tables tab, which we've renamed the Collections tab. We believed this was a better place for Macros to live, as users with long lists of Macros found their Settings tab unwieldy to use.  Let us know what you think of these changes and happy rolling!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Neat!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Great update, one that both power users and newcomers are sure to enjoy!

Edited 1474318548
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Very nice. Now that there is so much in the "collections" tab, would it be possible to get some organizational tools on that tab? Even before this new collections tab, having many tables, macros, or decks was already making it difficult to find a specific table/deck/macro. Now that they are all in one tab, that's just going to be a larger problem. To be clear, I do very much like this update - just suggesting a further improvement.
Gold
Forum Champion
Steve K. said: Let us know what you think of these changes and happy rolling! Sounds cool. Thanks for the updates. Checking it out. "Collections" tab... the pop-up label on the tab in-game says "Collection". On the Collections tab, it would be nice to be able to collapse each section with a + symbol, so that you can access the Decks and Tables quicker if you have a long list of macros to scroll.   I like the idea of the landing page and the choice to focus on the Next Game Time and the Game Discussion Forum. There is huge potential here. I would like to see more improvements on the Game Discussion forum itself (such as ability to add and organize sub-forums) so that it is more encouraging for the entire group of Players to participate in Play-By-Post along with the GM.
Gold
Forum Champion
Can you add "View All Posts" (Game Discussion Forum link) on the GM Exit Landing Page near the new post box?  You don't always want to start a new thread, sometimes you want to add onto an existing Treasure thread, XP thread, or ongoing play-by-post ("Adventure Blog") thread that is pre-existing in game forum.
I have never, not once used the Exit Game button.

Edited 1474325345
I'll have to mirror SkyCaptainXIII, I just close the tab when I'm done. Is there a reason I should use the Exit Game button? Also I'm curious how this Update process works. Lets say I've modified the game, (Tokens, notes, token placement, map is some way) what will the update do? Will it override/replace everything or just the pieces that changed? If it overrides anything, I think the notes need to include what is changed so that we, as GMs, know what to expect(Aside from "Fixed an issue with dynamic lighting on two maps." which maps?)
Gold
Forum Champion
On the GM Exit Landing Page, above the new post section it says: Have something to tell your players? Why not post an Adventure Blog of today's game! The second sentence is a question (starts with the words Why not ) and so it should not have an exclamation point, but should have a question mark instead, or change the wording. Since many games don't call it "adventure" and wouldn't necessarily want to post a "Blog" (blog also being new terminology for Roll20 interface) perhaps it would be more clean and consistent with Roll20 terminology to change the wording to: Start a new thread with a post on your Game Discussion Board!
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
BP said: I'll have to mirror SkyCaptainXIII, I just close the tab when I'm done. Is there a reason I should use the Exit Game button? Also I'm curious how this Update process works. Lets say I've modified the game, (Tokens, notes, token placement, map is some way) what will the update do? Will it override/replace everything or just the pieces that changed? If it overrides anything, I think the notes need to include what is changed so that we, as GMs, know what to expect(Aside from "Fixed an issue with dynamic lighting on two maps." which maps?) The patcher will only change pieces designated to be updated by the patch and then only if you haven't edited those pieces yourself. 
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Gold said: On the GM Exit Landing Page, above the new post section it says: Have something to tell your players? Why not post an Adventure Blog of today's game! The second sentence is a question (starts with the words Why not ) and so it should not have an exclamation point, but should have a question mark instead, or change the wording. Since many games don't call it "adventure" and wouldn't necessarily want to post a "Blog" (blog also being new terminology for Roll20 interface) perhaps it would be more clean and consistent with Roll20 terminology to change the wording to: Start a new thread with a post on your Game Discussion Board! Until the  interrobang becomes a common staple of western writing, the bang traditionally beats the question mark.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks! My macro list was becoming unweildy. Good move.
Nifty update! :-)   I also like the idea of folders or some other organizational aid on the Collections tab. Thanks!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Steve K. said: Gold said: On the GM Exit Landing Page, above the new post section it says: Have something to tell your players? Why not post an Adventure Blog of today's game! The second sentence is a question (starts with the words Why not ) and so it should not have an exclamation point, but should have a question mark instead, or change the wording. Since many games don't call it "adventure" and wouldn't necessarily want to post a "Blog" (blog also being new terminology for Roll20 interface) perhaps it would be more clean and consistent with Roll20 terminology to change the wording to: Start a new thread with a post on your Game Discussion Board! Until the  interrobang becomes a common staple of western writing, the bang traditionally beats the question mark. Was gonna suggest the interrobang, and then lo and behold I scroll down and it has already been brought up. Being a language geek; I'd totally be down for use of the interrobang.

Edited 1474339707
Who says I can have only one punctuation mark at the end of a sentence?!?!

Edited 1474341119
Gold
Forum Champion
The punctuation mark was not the larger point of my feedback. I think that consistency and clarity of terminology are important, along with the added functionality (which is great!). Roll20 is system agnostic after all. A previous update changed the label from "Campaign Discussion" to "Game Discussion".

Edited 1474353482
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Cool.  Is the Dev getting the update(or parts of...) soon?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gold said: On the Collections tab, it would be nice to be able to collapse each section with a + symbol, so that you can access the Decks and Tables quicker if you have a long list of macros to scroll.   Nice move, I was forever having to scroll for literally hours (ok, not literally...) to get to the 'rejoin as player' button and my sound/video settings, I have a LOT of macros... it's a problem... However I would also dearly love to see a way to either collapse the sections in the Collections tab or could this be an optimal time to introduce folders to that tab?? ;)
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ziechael said: However I would also dearly love to see a way to either collapse the sections in the Collections tab or could this be an optimal time to introduce folders to that tab?? ;) You're trying to cause an incident again, aren't you? ;)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Finderski said: Ziechael said: However I would also dearly love to see a way to either collapse the sections in the Collections tab or could this be an optimal time to introduce folders to that tab?? ;) You're trying to cause an incident again, aren't you? ;) Who... me?? Yes :P
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Noticed a slight bug with the new collections tab. The rollable tables' buttons are off-screen if your chat/collections area is set to the default/min width.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Scott C. said: Noticed a slight bug with the new collections tab. The rollable tables' buttons are off-screen if your chat/collections area is set to the default/min width. That's not the behavior I'm seeing. What OS and Browser/Version are you using?
I was already confused when I had a look at my game yesterday. But it definitely makes more sense this way! I like it! That probably also explains the random zooming in I experienced over the weekend a couple of times.

Edited 1474580698
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Steve K. said: *Cut for Length* That's not the behavior I'm seeing. What OS and Browser/Version are you using? Current system: MAC OS 10.10.5 Chrome 53.0.2785.116 (64-bit) OR&nbsp;Firefox 37.0.2 (Occurs in both) And 2nd computer: Windows 10 Chrome&nbsp;53.0.2785.116 (64-bit) Current Game setup: using Beta Voice and Video Chat and attempted with video chat switched to the old opentok - no effect. I also tried messing with the text/display size option in windows 10 settings to see if that was the problem to no effect. Link to a console log in case you need it:&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/Kurohyou/b1d35d9ec2bcb9a497b37270c85b7199" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/Kurohyou/b1d35d9ec2bcb9a497b37270c85b7199</a> EDIT: Just went into another of my games to do some work in there and noticed that it does not have the display error. The only difference I can think of between the two of them is the video/voice client setup. In case you want to have a look at the games to see what might be up, they are "Iron Gods", and "API Testing Grounds" respectively. EDIT the second: probably not the video preference as that had no affect even after exiting and reloading. Another difference, and related directly to rollable tables, is that I have a ridiculous number (209) of rollable tables in the game experiencing the issue, and only two in the game not experiencing it.