Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New Audio 10/4: Battlebards and Fanburst!

Edited 1475608621
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi rollers, All of us here at Roll20 appreciate the overwhelming support and patience our community has shown in the past week. As tabletop fans we understand how important ambiance, tone, and setting are to the success of our games. That's why we're so excited to announce two new audio options. Battlebards has partnered with Roll20 to bring you a portfolio of new tracks integrated inside Roll20's jukebox. Battlebards is an online resource that provides premier tabletop audio and tools for your campaigns. The Battlebards list of tracks include a long list of fantasy sound effect tracks that the community has been looking for.  In addition we've integrated Fanburst's extensive list of tracks. Fanburst is a free online service for musicians and creators to upload and share their music. Unlimited uploads for artists, unlimited streaming for fans. Note that if you previously uploaded tracks to SoundCloud for use on Roll20, if you sign up for a free Fanburst account on  their website , it will allow you to import all of your SoundCloud tracks in one click. Let us know what you think!

Edited 1475607808
Great to hear, I will check this out now! edit: made FanBurst account....on one click it will import all of your sound cloud account.....very, very, did i say very, nice
Huzzah!
You were amazingly quick at providing alternatives for us- Many thanks to you and your new partners!
Has anyone found any "gaming style music"  artist to follow to unlock you feed?  I randomly selected the five they require you to select to open up the account. And also.... I can't seem to get my soundcloud feed to link/upload to fanburst feel I am doing something wrong.  Been trying since this was posted. 
Artemis said: Has anyone found any "gaming style music"  artist to follow to unlock you feed?  I randomly selected the five they require you to select to open up the account. And also.... I can't seem to get my soundcloud feed to link/upload to fanburst feel I am doing something wrong.  Been trying since this was posted.  Just to make sure -- did you originally upload the tracks to SoundCloud yourself? Or were they just tracks that you favorited? It can only transfer over tracks you actually uploaded. However, you can use the in-app search in the Roll20 interface to look through all the tracks available. So hopefully as more people move over to FanBurst, the number of tracks available to everyone on Roll20 will start building back up.
Ohhhh well heck.  No these are soundclouds tracks I made into playlists.  Okay then... (poop) anyone find any appropriate music on Fanburst yet?  Our Campaign isn't exactly going to work with house music.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Wow, this is an incredibly fast turn around!  Can't wait to try it out!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Seriously amazing. That's all I can say!
Artemis said: anyone find any appropriate music on Fanburst yet?  Our Campaign isn't exactly going to work with house music. Yeah their current uploaded tracks definitely aren't focused toward tabletop gaming, but on the other hand there wasn't much on SoundCloud for that either 4 years ago. Give it a week or two and my guess is that a lot of the community will start re-uploading stuff onto FanBurst. In the meantime, do be sure to check out the other 3 options (Tabletop Audio, Battlebards, Incompetech)...while the catalogs are more limited than the crazy amount of music on FanBurst, it's all 100% targeted toward playing RPGs which is really nice. Hopefully this new blend of having a large selection of custom-tailored RPG music along with the option to have custom content on FanBurst will work out even better long-term for everyone :-)
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks for this, looking forward to testing it out in the coming days!
Tabletop Audio & Battlebards has been our go to as background, so glad it's here at roll20.  Maybe we need a thread here for Fanburst Finds.  Community working together to help each other find the good stuff.
I haven't tried Fanburst, but Battle Bards is like Hollywood level audio. It's really high quality. Thanks Roll20 for reacting so quickly to the sad news from SoundCloud
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
This is fantastic news. The Roll20 team is amazing, I can't believe you pulled this off so quickly. Thank you for all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated!
So happy to see this on my newsfeed!  I'm a huge fan of Battlebards and having their sounds intagrated into my games is a huge step, and thank you to the whole Roll20 team as well for being so quick about this transition. 
Great work Roll20 - Very happy you guys have done this.  
I'm very pleased and impressed with how quickly you've solved the issue, and the ease with which the new site works. Battle bards is a nice addition as well, they do have some very nice sound effects.

Edited 1475613734
Would it be possible to get access to more of battle bards for premium or pro members? I'm on the edge of getting it already but that would be awesome EDIT: Alternitly would it be possible to import the sound effects you've already bought from battlebards to use on roll20?
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Having now been testing with Fanburst for a bit, I do have a feature request. One of the great things with Soundcloud was the ability to input a direct URL in the search bar, and it would pull up the exact track you were trying to find. Could we get that same functionality with Fanburst?
This is beyond awesome, fanburst will allow to put all my tracks from soundcloud back into roll20, I just need to add them again and recreate the playlist I had. Thanks for the fast fix!!
Champions!
Within a space of less than a week we've seen a solution implemented by the Roll20 team and not only that, it was the right solution.  I just want to say keep up the good work Roll20. You've shown that you can listen and execute - two incredibly important things in the tech industry. Thank you.  And take my money! 

Edited 1475624859
Zym
Sheet Author
SoundCloud was used but always felt with too much selection and endless searching for tracks I didn't quite like I am actually glad its gone. Would have been nice to see something like battle bards instead of fanburst. I will probably save my precious time and justnuse battlebards.  Edit: worth pointing out I got confused. Mixed up battle bards and the already functional table top audio. Good job. I am going to check it it tomorrow
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
So far this looks excellent, I'll be trying it out asap! Might I take this time to suggest a Delete Folder + Contents option? heh :)
This is so great news! I mean you guys have been faced with a huge obstacle and you did not only overcame the obstacle but basically improved the Jukebox so much more, that i'm almost speechless. Kudos to you guys. I do have two questions tho. I browsed through the available sounds of Battlebards here on Roll20 and i could be wrong, but there might be sounds missing. If a user has a battlebards account with more/different content. is it planned in the future to link these both accounts so we could access our battlebards account from within Roll20? And second question: I saw that Tabletop Audio has soundboards with some really great ambience sound snippets. Is there any way to get these sounds into Roll20?
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yeah their current uploaded tracks definitely aren't focused toward tabletop gaming, but on the other hand there wasn't much on SoundCloud for that either 4 years ago. Give it a week or two and my guess is that a lot of the community will start re-uploading stuff onto FanBurst. In the meantime, do be sure to check out the other 3 options (Tabletop Audio, Battlebards, Incompetech)...while the catalogs are more limited than the crazy amount of music on FanBurst, it's all 100% targeted toward playing RPGs which is really nice. Hopefully this new blend of having a large selection of custom-tailored RPG music along with the option to have custom content on FanBurst will work out even better long-term for everyone :-) I'm actually a little concerned about this, for this reason.  This new service might not take kindly to people coming on and uploading tons of music that's not theirs, regardless of legality. For example I'm running a Doom campaign.  I'm using a lot of free, available for download remixes and covers of Doom music, so it's not exactly piracy we're talking here; but I am still uploading like 300mb of music and I'm not a musician, which is what this place seems designed for. In other words I'm not sure they signed up for what's going to happen, because I doubt I am alone in this.  Plus I don't want to offend the actual authors of this stuff by uploading it elsewhere (I am leaving credit in the links). This is one of the reasons I really was pushing for the Cloud Drive solution as an option, since then it could be retained privately and played for a small audience, which is far, far less gray than this might rapidly become.
I can only applaud you for managing to solve these issues so fast. Good job! Robert R. said: Yeah their current uploaded tracks definitely aren't focused toward tabletop gaming, but on the other hand there wasn't much on SoundCloud for that either 4 years ago. Give it a week or two and my guess is that a lot of the community will start re-uploading stuff onto FanBurst. In the meantime, do be sure to check out the other 3 options (Tabletop Audio, Battlebards, Incompetech)...while the catalogs are more limited than the crazy amount of music on FanBurst, it's all 100% targeted toward playing RPGs which is really nice. Hopefully this new blend of having a large selection of custom-tailored RPG music along with the option to have custom content on FanBurst will work out even better long-term for everyone :-) I'm actually a little concerned about this, for this reason.  This new service might not take kindly to people coming on and uploading tons of music that's not theirs, regardless of legality. For example I'm running a Doom campaign.  I'm using a lot of free, available for download remixes and covers of Doom music, so it's not exactly piracy we're talking here; but I am still uploading like 300mb of music and I'm not a musician, which is what this place seems designed for. In other words I'm not sure they signed up for what's going to happen, because I doubt I am alone in this.  Plus I don't want to offend the actual authors of this stuff by uploading it elsewhere (I am leaving credit in the links). This is one of the reasons I really was pushing for the Cloud Drive solution as an option, since then it could be retained privately and played for a small audience, which is far, far less gray than this might rapidly become. Doom campaign? Nice..  Anyway, I think the Roll20 team was aware of this. Just from 2 searches in Fanburst via Roll20 I found a lot of non-music stuff, like live interviews and such. I think you have nothing to worry about, and surely Roll20 would've questioned Fanburst about this. Fanburst may even have what Soundcloud have, banning things that have copyrights without permission of uploading it.
Loren S. said: Having now been testing with Fanburst for a bit, I do have a feature request. One of the great things with Soundcloud was the ability to input a direct URL in the search bar, and it would pull up the exact track you were trying to find. Could we get that same functionality with Fanburst? Agreed, this makes it far easier to search for Roll20 applicable tracks in the full Fanburst site and then bring them into the game.
Have the Roll20 team considered expanding the marketplace into audio offerings? Undoubtedly, content creators would step up to fill the demand for sound effects and music of direct interest to RPGers. Opening the marketplace to this avenue seems like a natural fit and would help to support both the community and Roll20 alike. 
thanks roll20 team for getting such a quick response to this! now I'm just having trouble getting to save everything I upload to fanburst.  I had downloaded all the tracks I used to use via soundcloud and was attempting to reupload them (along with a few other ones) and it seems to stop saving uploads after 30 tracks.  anyone else run into something similar?
Does anyone know if these tracks are able to be used in live streams on twitch?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Andres G. said: Does anyone know if these tracks are able to be used in live streams on twitch? Incompetech tracks are available under a  creative commons license .
I want to thank the roll20 team for the quick solutions you offer. It will be a lot of work for us to reorganize our jukebox, BUT we will be able to do it and it just took you guys one single week. That is quick, thank you for that.
Thanks for the quick turnaround! Battlebards! Always wanted to include their stuff in my games, great quality. I believe the current offering is better than Soundcloud alone.
Wow, this is GREAT! I'll check out and return later for feed back. Anyway, I reaaaaly appreciated the quick response for all this soundclound-problem and this is why I've been and intent to continue supporting Roll20.
Thanks Roll20 team for the fast work! 
I am not seeing the new tabs discussed in the Jukebox for my campaigns.  Is there a quick tutorial or screenshot that can be shared?  Otherwise, excited to try this out!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Eric B. said: ...a quick tutorial or screenshot...
I love the new audio options we've gotten, as a GM who heavily relies on sound and music. In fact, I might like them better than Soundcloud in some ways. Thanks for speedily fixing our audio woes!
I'm very pleased with this solution. It really seems like roll20's jukebox is now in a much better position that in was with Soundcloud. I'd like to see Lorn S.'s suggestion implemented in some point in the future though, it's much easier to search for tracks on the fanburst site than through the jukebox.
YOU'VE SAVED US ALL! THANK THE HEAVENS! HUZZAAH!
Listening to some of the Battlebards stuff is giving me an idea... Would it be possible to add a text/macro command to play a specific track? Adding the sound of a sword hit or such to an attack macro would add a nice bit of ambiance, and would help get people's attention that an attack was just made. Likewise, some of the magical sound effects could work well for spells or such. It'd feel a little silly digging through the Jukebox for those fun little clips every time you wanted to use one.
Thank you.

Edited 1475746844
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Zigniber said: Listening to some of the Battlebards stuff is giving me an idea... Would it be possible to add a text/macro command to play a specific track? Adding the sound of a sword hit or such to an attack macro would add a nice bit of ambiance, and would help get people's attention that an attack was just made. Likewise, some of the magical sound effects could work well for spells or such. It'd feel a little silly digging through the Jukebox for those fun little clips every time you wanted to use one. There are a couple of API scripts out there that can do this but it would require a  Pro level subscription (on the account of the game Creator) to enable... but yeah, it's pretty cool when attacks call sounds out, really makes sound effects a huge boon to a game ;)
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate how the roll20 team handled this situation. Not only was a solution found quickly, but one that far surpasses the earlier music streaming provider, all while being open and transparent with the community. I'm loving Fanburst as a service, and the tracks/sound effects provided by BattleBards are seriously great. I think it will truly help add an extra layer of depth to my games.
Well done and thank you Roll20 team!
Well done, Roll20 Team! Fanburst is FANTASTIC! It imported my entire Soundcloud library in mere seconds. Thank you so much! It's full speed ahead for my campaign once more!
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I would very much like it if you could link Fanburst to your Roll20 (or login at the Jukebox) so you can access Private tracks. I think this would sort out a LOT of potential problems in the future, as we can keep our Roll20 songs off the main Fanburst library unless we want them there.  It'd be a huge, huge insurance policy to keep this arrangement stable. Other than that, it works great!
Been using roll20 for awhile, I really liked being able to soundcloud. Your recent changes replaced it in a nice way. Thanks for the great music additions.
Great resource! You all deserve a huge round of applause!!
Only complaint I have is my track names in Japanese are not transferring, nor can be uploaded to Fanburst. Not a huge deal (just need to rename/translate them), but something to note. As many others have done, I applaud the speed and efficiency in finding a new music resource for us and yourselves.