Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dice on the screen don't match the dice on the chat window

Note the chat window has two "1s" and the table only has one "1". Confirmed by everyone in the game, they see the same dice on the table.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I believe (I can't find the post about it atm) that 3d dice have an upper limit to the number of dice that can be rendered.
It took me a while to replicate and I had to roll 20d6 to get it to do it and it after about 100 total rolls of 3D dice, but it does seem a little misbehaving. The roll that bugged out this way also couldn't be interacted with in the standard manner, if you try to click on a dice in the chat box to reposition it, such as when you want them in order or to isolate the 1's etc. They just highlight as though text and the script that normally lets you interact with them is not present for the individual dice, but you can still pick up the total and put it into the game as normal. Also note on the screenshot that one of the dice failed to even fall flat and is up on an edge between 2 & 3. But there are clearly far too many two's. Although maybe those that aren't properly flat (both mostly showing a 2) aren't counting properly. However, after multiple attempts, I can't get this to happen with 10d6 or smaller quantities even after the above error. Did you do anything else prior to that happening? (I used to work in QA and part of me just likes breaking things)

Edited 1475000464
@Xanoth: I'm in software, so I appreciate the QA work. Below are my tests from a fresh session, you can see the green area in the chat window. I am regularly getting bad results. Note that I am using the [[10d6]] notation. Here are some screenshots. Here's a sample JSON response for that last one. It looks like the JSON represents the dice on the table, but not the dice in the chat log. {"json":"{\"type\":\"V\",\"rolls\":[{\"type\":\"R\",\"dice\":10,\"sides\":6,\"mods\":{},\"rollid\":\"-KSg_M-hFZ7nlgaYv5S5\",\"results\":[{\"v\":4},{\"v\":3},{\"v\":5},{\"v\":2},{\"v\":3},{\"v\":6},{\"v\":1},{\"v\":2},{\"v\":6},{\"v\":2}]}
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'm seeing the same thing on my end. I'll write up a bug report for this. Thank you for bring this to our attention, everyone!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
We've run across this in the past, and just decide to use either the chat result or the graphical result, but consistently. I just assumed I was reading them incorrectly somehow.
It's been almost two weeks on this front? Any update?
Gid
Roll20 Team
We're still looking into this. The way the 3D dice works is that the physical simulation is handled on our server and then the simulation is replicated on everyone's client browser. There's a couple things that may be happening here. It could be that there's enough of a decimal precision issue when going from the server's simulation to the replication. It also could be that the server is reading the dice sides far too early and not giving a large quantity of dice time to settle. This situation begins to occur when there is a large quantity of dice being rolled and gets progressively worse as more dice get added. That suggests to us that there's a higher likelihood of a read error on the server's side and not accounting for all the butterfly effects of that large number of dice smacking into each other and influencing how they roll and land. While we continue to poke at the issue, and if you continue to use 3D dice, always use the results listed in chat. They are the numbers recorded directly from the server's simulation and will be the same listed result for every person playing, even if the dice themselves don't match up.