Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Nesting Macros Question

1382248437

Edited 1382248610
Hello, I wanted to nest macros to cut down on some junk filling other macros. I tried nesting macros as per the roll20 wiki example. When I input # it doesn't produce a drop down list like when I use @ (I don't know if this is right or not). Then when using the example nesting macros it just doesn't work. When I try rolling the nested macro Macro #attack Macro #damage is what appears in the chatbox. I tried removing the "Macro" part but received similar results. Operating System: Vista Browser: Chrome 30.0.1599.101 Flash:11.9.900 Thanks for the help.
1382251095

Edited 1382251555
Gauss
Forum Champion
First, I am curious why you are trying to put a Macro in an Ability. Usually people are trying to do it the other way around to reduce name space. Second, it should produce a dropdown menu when you hit #. Please try the following: 1) clear the body of that macro 2) hit the checkmark 3) save the journal 4) Open the journal and try to edit it again. Finally, you will want to remove the "Macro" words in your body. They are not part of the example on the wiki (not in the little grey field that indicates the actual example). :) - Gauss
As far as I can tell you can't use abilities in other abilities (at least, I couldn't when I tried just now). Typing the hashtag should produce a dropdown of your macros though - unless you have no macros! For the record, I tried both #ability and #{selected|ability} and neither produced the result I was looking for, instead they simply went to text.
1382251394
Gauss
Forum Champion
David , you can use Abilities in other Abilities. For Abilities you need to use: %{character sheet name|ability name} For Macros you need to use #Macroname - Gauss
Oh I didn't know that. Thanks!
Wow. okay. I sure did miss that. Boy do I feel dumb now. I highly appreciate it though. Thanks much for straightening that out for me.
1382260241
Gauss
Forum Champion
No worries, we all have moments. :) If you need further help with your macros let me know. - Gauss
I've recently been playing around with this function, and I had the same problem as the OP. The example on the wiki is really confusing and not helpful. After spending an hour trying to figure out how to make the "|" symbol and then another hour trying to figure out why nesting abilities with "#" wasn't working I gave up last night. This morning I make 1 search of the forums, find this post and figure out that I needed "%" instead of "#", but yet the wiki has no mention of "%" being used to nest abilities. I think the wiki could be updated for clarity.
1383942370
Gauss
Forum Champion
Sam, what is the URL of the section of the wiki you find confusing? - Gauss
1385522479
Sam
Pro
Sheet Author
This is the official page when it comes to macros and in the nested macros section it says nothing about using % to access character macros, aka "abilities"
1385523592
Gauss
Forum Champion
It does mention it farther down the page. Quote from the page: You can also trigger abilities from the linked character journal by using the ability name as a variable. %{selected|Attack} Additionally it is on this page: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat</a> You can add to the wiki if you feel it could use additional text. :)