Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Re-using the same dice result

Tekas
Sheet Author
I've been developing a character sheet for the Final Fantasy RPG, 3rd edition, and most rolls made in that setting are against a chance of success (CoS) and it often matters how much you beat or failed the CoS by because the GM might have secretly modified the CoS. Right now, when you click a button to roll dice for a skill, you get a result similar to 24 rolled vs a CoS of 50 What I would like it to say is 24 rolled, beating the CoS of 50 by 26 This would require that I be able to use the 24 I rolled twice in the same message, once to display it and once to subtract it from the CoS. I could just simplify the display to The CoS was beaten by 26 but there's no transparency without hovering over the number and picking apart the roll. Is there a way to get the scenario I desire or am I going to have to either forget showing the difference or settle for not showing the roll result?

Edited 1476728050
Tomaxx
Sheet Author
Hi Tekas, I'm preparing a sheet for Blue Planet V2, and I have exactly the same problem.  In BP it is important to know if you succeed or fail the roll vs difficulty, but it is also important to know the margin. Also I find it important to see the dice rolls (several dice are rolled, the best one (lowest) is chosen). As I understand it, practically the only way to have success/failure, the individual dice rolls, and the margin of success/failure, is to use an API script, which is beyond my ability atm. So basically I gave up, and make a roll without a template (templates do not let you show the dice rolls), adding a maximum of information to the label and mouseover, but letting the user calculate the margin in his head. Example: Which gives a success with a margin of 2. Easy :) I managed this with a lot of help from the guys on this forum. They are great! So don't hesitate to ask your questions. Also if you wish I can post the code for my rolls (I don't want to pollute the thread unless it's needed). Hope this helps!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Actually, roll templates can show the results of dice rolls, it just requires that you pass in each roll separately. For example: {{r1=[[1d10]]}} {{r2=[[1d10]]}} {{r3=[[1d10]]}} {{target=[[5]]}} Then the template would need to be set up to show r1, r2, and r3. If you want to show the roll result with a die icon, things get more complicated then. Also, with that, you could do evaluations, but not calculations.  For example, the roll template can compare the result against a target (mentioned above), and if the roll is below {{target}} it can indicate success, but not necessarily the degree of success. Evaluating three different dice gets a little tricky on the output, but something like this is where I would start (not doing the HTML stuff): {{#rollGreater() r1 target}} <!--Roll result of r1 is 6+--> {{#rollBetween() r2 1 target}} <!--roll is 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5--> <!--insert HTML to indicate Success--> {{/rollBetween() r2 1 target}} {{^rollBetween() r2 1 target}} <!--r2 is 6+--> {{#rollBetween() r3 1 target}} <!--r3 is 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5--> <!--insert HTML to indicate Success--> {{/rollBetween() r3 1 target}} {{/^rollBetween() r2 1 target}} {{/rollGreater() r1 target}} {{^rollGreater() r1 target}} <!--r1 is less than 6; I could have used rollBetween as well--> <!--insert HTML to indicate Success--> {{/^rollGreater()r1 target}} That's untested, but I think it should work. Essentially, it evaluates r1, and if it is greater than 5 (i.e. 6+), it then evaluates r2, and if it is between 1 and 5, it will output success. It then looks to see if r2 is NOT between 1 and 5, if it isn't, it then does the same sort evaluation of r3 to output success. If r1 is NOT greater than 5 (i.e. 6+), it then outputs success.  Doing it this way should limit the output to only one display of success, regardless of whether all three are less than the 6 or not.  If all three are 6+, then success would not be output. You could work it so that Failure could be output as well, but that get's trickier so you don't display both Success and Failure when you're dealing with three dice.
I would also love how to use a roll more than once. In my case, the same roll is used for hit and damage. For example, you roll a d100 against a target number - lets say 45, and if you roll over it, you deal damage equal to the unit's digit. If you had rolled a 76, you would deal 6 damage (add modifiers to taste). If you had rolled a 39, you missed. Is there a way to macro it? On a sidenote, have you seen this, OP? Kiyomi N. did a great FFRPG 3rd Edition character sheet.
Tekas
Sheet Author
Jesus that IS a really nice character sheet. It took me two months to write mine and I was close to submitting it, but that one's out of the park, at least by the looks of it. It's a shame it seems you can't reuse a roll result twice in the same message using the character sheet. Oh well.