Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Some *probably* dumb new player questions

Hi All. I've been trying to find a game I can join as a player for a D&D 5e campaign, but because of my limited free time, I have to be VERY picky about when I can play. There were only a couple available but they're all in progress. So.... I've decided to DM one instead. I've used roll20 at home plenty of times with the TV in face-to-face games in conjunction with actual dice and pen and paper, but not online! I have my first game in 2 weeks time and I was hoping for some beginner help! I've bought the Lost Mines of Phandelver module to help get the ball rolling but I'm getting pretty stuck with the whole character sheets, associating players to certain tokens... and the automated dice rolling that can come with the 5e OLG character sheet. I think I'm fine with the maps, layers, moving, tokens etc. I would also be interested to find out... how easy is it to automate PC's loosing and gaining health? Do people typically always leave their players to manually adjust their HP? and if so, is this typically done on their character sheet or their token? Or am I missing something obvious in the fact that they're 'linked'. Lastly, many of the people I'm going to be playing with a pretty new too. - So they will most likely know even less than I will! - Thanks

Edited 1476999871
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Godthedj, I'll try to give you some decent answers. godthedj said: I have my first game in 2 weeks time and I was hoping for some beginner help! I've bought the Lost Mines of Phandelver module to help get the ball rolling but I'm getting pretty stuck with the whole character sheets, associating players to certain tokens... and the automated dice rolling that can come with the 5e OLG character sheet. I may need some more details on what you need help with here exactly. The easiest way to associate a player to a token is to  link a token to a character sheet . The automated Dice rolling is pretty much push button. If you have questions about customizing the output that can certainly be done with some varying degrees of fanciness. I think I'm fine with the maps, layers, moving, tokens etc. I would also be interested to find out... how easy is it to automate PC's loosing and gaining health? Do people typically always leave their players to manually adjust their HP? and if so, is this typically done on their character sheet or their token? Or am I missing something obvious in the fact that they're 'linked'. You can automate the reduction of HP, Power Points, ammo, and any other attribute with API scripts (Pro Level Perk). Without that having your players manually update their health is the only way. I use API scripts for many things in my game, but I still have my players manually adjust their health and what not as I feel that it gets to "video-gamey" to have it all automated. Also, the link above about linking tokens to sheets will address your question about them being linked; in short updating the value of something in a bubble will update whatever attribute that bubble is linked to on the character sheet. Feel free to ask anything else you come up with; I'm happy to give more details on the above or other questions if you need it.