Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I got the teleporters to work, but now another issue rears its head...

Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Now that i can use the teleporter script to simulate stairs, ladders, and actual teleporters another issue arises. Tokens zoom away hella fast. My players are impressed, but left scrolling near blindly around a huge black map to find their chars again. This is no issue when the group is all in the same place. But if the party splits, then I very well can't shift-ping all of them when it's actually just Ronny the Rogue scouting ahead. So, is there a script to ping only one player? Some js-code I can jury-rig onto the teleporter script?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
There isn't a way to ping-pull players with the API.  The best option I can think of currently is to place an arrow that tells the player what direction to look for their character and possibly whisper the distance and direction to them.
Aaron- how about placing a marker (like your turn marker) where the PC lands and pulling to that? 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Would still need to use ping pull for that, which only pulls the GM when used by the API; suppose you could pull the GM who could then manually ping pull them. But of course, that pulls everyone, not just the teleported player.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
What Scott said.  I think animating an arrow is probably about the only thing that could be done for players.  You'd have to give it the same controlled by as the token that was moved and also make sure it doesn't get teleported. 
When you move a token and hit the space bar, a little path is drawn, would it be possible to use that functionality?  Can movement paths and distances be displayed by the API? EDIT:  I just tested this joined as a player into a game on which I am GM.  When I move my token onto the teleport square, and don't select off of it, I can press the space bar immediately after the token is moved, and a nice little yellow line is drawn from my token's previous location to its current location.  No API needed.  The only thing is that if, after the token teleports, I select off my token, the space bar won't show anything.  You've got to select onto a token to show its last move.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
That is a very good way to go about it,  Gozer.  I'll test that out with my players next time we play. Barring that,  I'll make an arrow token to place on the map. Thanks for the help, everyone! 
It's actually in the wiki , and you can do it for any token (look halfway down the linked page under "Reviewing Token Movements") .  It just works here because you select a token to move it, and when it moves away via the teleporter, it remains selected.