Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Indenting

Is there anyway to indent the first line of a paragraph in the description of a handout? I've tried simply pressing tab, but that indents the entire paragraph. I've tried pressing space several times, but it goes away once you've saved. Is there any way to do this, so that I can, y'know, have proper paragraphs?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can probably put in the HTML Entity for a non-breaking space:    or copy and paste this space " " if that didn't work.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
I found that neither work. I to wish I could find a solution for this.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hmmm, Aaron, is there a reason why notes/gmnotes sections set via API respect html formatting, but putting it straight into the handout manually has no effect?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Scott C. said: Hmmm, Aaron, is there a reason why notes/gmnotes sections set via API respect html formatting, but putting it straight into the handout manually has no effect? Sure.  The API is manipulating data that is stored in the object.  the UI is manipulating data that is in a UI component, which then performs various internal transforms to generate data that is stored in the object.   Those transforms have a tendency to strip out some things. Mike W. said: I found that neither work. I to wish I could find a solution for this. Try using:  
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Mike W. said: I found that neither work. I to wish I could find a solution for this. Ok, I found a solution.  It's not ideal, but it works. In the Editor: After save: The key here is that you can't copy and paste   because the UI editor will replace that with a regular space.  You have to copy and paste   so it converts to just   instead.   The other thing is, you have to put them back if you ever edit the handout.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Aaron. Worked as you said. To bad you must replace   each time you edit the handout.

Edited 1478883066
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah!  Found a better solution! Copy this: " "  (It's a clear image 10x50).  You can paste that at the beginning of a paragraph and it will push the text in and is preserved across edits and saves! Edit: Minor caveat, the forum adds a click link to the image that pops up the preview of it.  If you copy it from here, you'll get that link in your handout.  Instead, drag the image down to the edit box for Post reply, then highlight and copy it from there to get it without the link.

Edited 1478885299
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Found another solution that might be even easier:    This is a unicode Em space.  It's about twice as wide as a regular space, but the UI doesn't replace it so once it's in, it stays.  Copy pasting the code above and letting the editor expand it is just fine too and it persists across edits. The major benefit over an image is that it scales with the text. Edit: Oops! I edited the post and it ate my html entities!  Fixed.

Edited 1478884715
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Great find! I had to look online for an unicode EM space, found it and used it. Itt works like a charm for any text not already indented using the internal tools.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Great!