Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Text label for token status instead of icons

Edited 1478569433
I didn't see this on this forum, but how about this idea for an alternative to the icons used on tokens: Instead of colored dots and weird little icons for status effects on tokens, how about the DM just add a text label that hovers over the middle of the token? Something that looks like this: This would probably be very easy to add code wise into the game I bet. The issue with the status icons is that they don't inherently mean anything. In use, I find I just toss something on tokens on the fly that sorta looks like whatever status I'm trying to signify, but the players don't really know what it means and I could easily forget if I had to end a session and come back the next week. "Crap, what did the oblong face with closed eyes mean again?" What I really need is something that is very visible and apparent to anyone looking at the battle map. So lets just use the symbols we already know: words. If we ever get custom icons, the first thing I'd do is just make them look like words anyway.

Edited 1480099962
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
+1 But offer the option of the Status Label or the Status Icon or both.
Definitely something more descriptive (words) or meaningful icons.  This sums up my feelings exactly: "In use, I find I just toss something on tokens on the fly that sorta looks like whatever status I'm trying to signify, but the players don't really know what it means and I could easily forget if I had to end a session and come back the next week." (From some of our last sessions: "The snail means the monster is turned, the guy on hands and knees with arrows in the back is prone, the ninja is stealthing.  What is the 'mugger face'?  Uhmmm...") System-specific words/tags or icons would be even better.  Our group is currently playing D&D 5e and the list of conditions that can be applied to a creature is fairly limited.
There would need to be accommodation for multiple conditions on a single token, so the text should be smaller than that shown in the mockup.

Edited 1480286232
Rabulias said: There would need to be accommodation for multiple conditions on a single token, so the text should be smaller than that shown in the mockup. Its just a graphic I threw together quickly, Rabulias; I'm sure the text could be smaller and off-centered or whatever.  For now, I'll simulate the effect I'm looking for with the text tool; i'll just create some text elements that match common statuses in my game and place them over tokens as needed. Its extra effort but it will make it much easier for my players and I to understand the game board.
I'd say a mouse-over hover popup should show a GM-editable list of statuses and their durations. These can be put into a new field in the menu that pops up when a token is double clicked on. Then you can still have less cluttered icons while having a more convenient way to quick-reference each token's status.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .