Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question: Why i'm not getting invited into groups?

Hi everyone! I've been on this site for about a month and so far I haven't been invited to a single game. Is there something I'm missing? Do only subscription players get invited to games? I've looked around the Looking for Players sections and posted my information and interest in the games, but haven't gotten a single reply. What should I do? -Aeo

Edited 1382744629
Hi there Aeo, First thing - don't give up!!! Also I imagine a fair few games don't even start or only last a few sessions due to people dropping out. When you post on a game looking for players what do you typically write? If you really sell yourself (even if you have never played a system) you should at least get a response. If you don't get invited or even a response you could even ask the GM politely why you were overlooked. Might be as simple as "group is full" or "I'm only looking for experience players. Take the info on board and move on. I saw a good post on here somewhere I will try and find it and link it. (edit: which talked about selling yourself) Out of curiosity what systems are you looking at getting involved in?
Hi there Aeo, As a DM I will tell you what I personally look for when recruiting for a campaign. The last campaign a recruited for I had over 50 response,that's a ton of people to pick from and it isn't easy on the GM. as Nathan G. mentioned i generally look for the people who really sell themselves, I rarely pick people who reply "I'm interested". I've also enjoyed those who send the PM's asking more about the word or showing genuine interest in my setting, it separates them from the rest in my eyes. Hope this helps you find a group :-)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi Aeo. As what Nathan and Aaron both stated. You have to give the GM/DM a reason to pick you. You have to sell yourself and even with no experience, you can convince the GM/DM to pick you amongst others. A typical "I'm interested" won't grab my attention when I have a crap load of other people posting their interest and why I should pick them. Most games fill up with a few hours of posting it's listing. The more effort you put into it the more likely you will get picked.
I will echo the advice that you (or anyone looking for a game) should really make an effort to sell yourself. There are a lot of people looking for a game and unless you try to stand out in some way, you're liable to just get lost in all the background noise. I recently advertised a campaign and got many more responses than I could accept. My decision to respond was based entirely upon what did the person tell me in their initial contact. The more details they provided about themselves, the better. It also helps to state what you believe you can bring to the game. Being new to role-playing games is not necessarily a detractor if you communicate enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. Two of the people I accepted into my latest campaign admitted that they'd never played a tabletop RPG before in their life. But they'd seen YouTube videos of game sessions and decided they wanted to play for themselves. The excitement they conveyed at the prospect of participating in a Roll20 game was what made me decide to choose them. I can teach a new player the game rules, what I'm looking for from them is genuine interest and enthusiasm for the game I intend to run.
I would repeat all the same stuff as these guys, the only thing that's a real pet peeve, of mine is when people don't say which days, and times they're available from, including time zone, it's a small courtesy but it can make the difference between two applications in my mind.
Thanks so much guys! It turns out that just from posting this I've got a few invites already haha. Thanks for answering the question :}
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You're welcomed and remember in this hobby, you have to sell yourself to get in a game. You have to convince the GM/DM that you are right fit for his game.
Good to hear mate. Hope you get some awesome games!