Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Update 10/11: New Video Chat

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Performance continues to improve. We had some minor glitches, but they only required the affected player to refresh, and not the entire group multiple times. A few dropouts or pauses, but fewer than before.
Having trouble turning it on. I switch on the beta thing and then come back to the settings menu and its flipped back to opentok? Tried exit/reenter, including when I was only one on

Edited 1478904674
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Some updates, that should go live after the weekend: (these changes will actually go live either Monday or Tuesday morning, they are currently live on the Dev server if you want to test it out) I have made all of the muted/no video icons smaller by about 15% plus shrinking an additional 15% to fit the smaller window when the option is selected. WebRTC really doesn't like to change settings mid-stream. I was trying to hack my way around this for some of the settings, but this wasn't working correctly. The broadcast/receive settings should work correctly, but will require a reset when you change either one. This makes changing these settings a little clunky, but they should actually work now.
Phil B. said: Some updates, that should go live after the weekend: (these changes will actually go live either Monday or Tuesday morning, they are currently live on the Dev server if you want to test it out) I have made all of the muted/no video icons smaller by about 15% plus shrinking an additional 15% to fit the smaller window when the option is selected. I'm hoping they will also be completely disabled if the user has selected Video Only.
Gold
Forum Champion
Edward C. said: Phil B. said: I have made all of the muted/no video icons smaller by about 15% plus shrinking an additional 15% to fit the smaller window when the option is selected. I'm hoping they will also be completely disabled if the user has selected Video Only. Same here, wouldn't want any Mute icon showing for the purposes for-which Video Only Mode was requested (such as for recording-streaming).
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Edward & Gold: Yes, I forgot to mention that in the previous post. There should be no more icons based purely off broadcast/receive settings. One more minor tweak. If you are in the game by yourself then you can change the settings without the refresh, since at that point no connections have been made yet. Everything is live now, please let me know if you have any issues.
Howdy Phil. I just wanted to share recent experience in my group (as reacent as 11/11)...everyone can get in fine, but not everyone can hear each other. We had a mixed bag where say, Person A could here everyone, but we could not hear person A.  We also had instances where Person A could not hear nor be heard. I admit, I didn't even realize the auto switch off TOC and just figured that out Sunday. My intent is to test on Friday in TOC to see if we have any issues. But, now that I see this thread and see "Whisper"...I wonder if the odd problems could be related to the whisper function somehow. I really like the idea of being able to whisper to one or more via talk over text. Anyway, I don't know if this helps you track any bugs, but feel free to reach out if you want to chat. Thanks. S
so this is working a whole lot better....one glitch we seem to get is this: after the I(the dm) finish the 'whisper chat' the volumes of the other players would be down to zero. i had to manually raise them. has this happened to others? 8 people in our game. we play on Fridays so I will test again then. 
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
SugarKing: Thank you for letting me know, I'll look into it.

Edited 1479589896
Dave
Pro
I love the addition of volume and whisper controls to the player avatars/video windows. However, when using audio-only there is no need to have these icons showing; my group usually hides the icons and opts for "Names Only." The problem is that this then removes the audio controls. It would be nice if the "Names Only" version also included audio controls. Also, is there any way to allow the other players to still hear each other when the GM is whispering to one person?