Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monsters

Hi all, I'm completely confused as to how to add monsters into the journal for use as and when they are required in game. Short of adding them using the standard character sheet (which seems a way overblown and unsuited approach) I don't know how to do it. I see these cool 5e style stat blocks in pre-bought modules but I can't for the life of me reproduce that. I'm a long time user of Fantasy Grounds and it handles monster placement very well (although it handles other things less well hence the switch to Roll20). Any advice welcome.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
You can drag and drop any monster from the compendium straight to the tabletop to generate a sheet for it. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Depending on your system and character sheet that you are using, there may be an NPC toggle or section of your sheet that replicates the simplicity of the state block. The 5e ogl, 5e shaped, and pathfinder sheets all have this.
Both of those responses were exactly what I was looking for. For standard MM monsters then I can just drag them in. The NPC toggle Is what I need for monsters not in the MM. It's buried way too far in the options though. Final question, the little coloured circles above the linked token are great but I can't for the life of me get these to auto-populate based on AC, HP etc. Any idea how I do that? 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This wiki page should have everything you need:&nbsp;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a>
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
If you've purchased Volo's, the tokens created by dragging and dropping THAT content should auto populate.