Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hearing Whispers....

So I did not know where else to put this but I was wondering: Why, as GM, can I intermittently see Whispers between  Players? Sometimes Players will Whisper one another and I can see the entire exchange; other times, I can only see one player's side of the exchange; other times, I can't see it at all. Why is this?
Gold
Forum Champion
Is this regarding text Whispers in the chat room, not voice whispers in the new audio-video, correct? In text chat, Whisper can be sent to Players or Characters by name. If it is whispered to a Character, then all the people who are listed under Controlled By.. on that character.. will receive the whisper text. &nbsp; Could that be the reason? Wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Whispers" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Whispers</a>
Gold said: Is this regarding text Whispers in the chat room, not voice whispers in the new audio-video, correct? In text chat, Whisper can be sent to Players or Characters by name. If it is whispered to a Character, then all the people who are listed under Controlled By.. on that character.. will receive the whisper text.&nbsp; Yes, this is regarding Text Whispers in the Game Chat. And I think that that is why I can hear some and not others. That makes so much more sense. Thank you.
Gold
Forum Champion
Bit of followup, I think that if you are the GM, but you are not specifically named as a Player that controls a character, then you would not see the whispers. So even though GM automatically can, technically, control any tokens... you should only see the whisper if the Player D2 is listed under Controlled By of the character that is whispered-to.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
As a GM that does many text games, Gold you are correct. If the GM is not listed in the sheet on the control & edit box, he will not get the whisper. Everyone that is listed, will get the whisper. This is one of the methods of doing racial languages in a mixed demi-human group. Create a sheet called elvish and all whispers to elvish will go to everyone listed on that sheet. Same for Dwarvish, French, etc...