Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Rollable Tables] Help with adding/subtracting to/from a table roll?

I'm setting up a Dungeon Crawl Classics game and I'm stumped on the Lucky Roll Table.  For the Lucky Roll I'd need to roll on my table + the luck modifier. For example, if you roll a d30 and the result is 9 but your luck modifier is -2, the actual result should be 7: Path of the bear: Melee damage rolls . I haven't found a way to work out the math of weight and subtract. How do you work out the weight if you have 30 options in the table? Or if you had 66, 100, 200, etc. If you put 1 for each entry then they all have equal chance of being rolled when in reality they wouldn't. The average would be around the middle so on a d30 it's 15? Table for reference:
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
On a d30, each side has a 1/30 chance of coming up. The average roll only matters if you're assigning a numerical value to each side. So giving each a weight of 1 would suffice. 
Franky H. said: On a d30, each side has a 1/30 chance of coming up. The average roll only matters if you're assigning a numerical value to each side. So giving each a weight of 1 would suffice.  Oh ok, thanks for the feedback. I've tried setting all to 1 and then doing something like: 1t[mytable] + 200. I thought maybe that would return the highest value in the table no matter what and it's still random. 
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Sadly, you can't do math with the weights. 
Franky H. said: Sadly, you can't do math with the weights.  Tis sad indeed. 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
In such situations, I recommend using the PowerCards API script in place of Rollable Tables. Here's an example of this.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Silvyre said: In such situations, I recommend using the PowerCards API script in place of Rollable Tables. Here's an example of this. 1000x yes. PowerCards is amazing. It's to the point where I request it in any game I'm not DMing, and it's in every campaign I DM
Silvyre said: In such situations, I recommend using the PowerCards API script in place of Rollable Tables. Here's an example of this. I use PowerCards but I haven't looked into doing rollable tables with PowerCards. The reason being:  1. Some of the tables I want to use will be anywhere from 30 to 100 entries and that could get messy in a script. 2. How do you justify using a table in a PowerCards script which would only be useable by that script as opposed to a table that you can call in any script? Just curious.  

Edited 1479718186
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Emulating the function of a Rollable Table by writing a PowerCards macro should not take any longer than it would to set up that Rollable Table. Editing a macro is easier and faster than editing a Rollable Table. Macros are more easily transferred/shared between games than Rollable Tables. Without the help of an API Script, a different Rollable Table would have to be created for each 'luck modifier' in order to automate the results.
Great info Silvyre. I never considered some of the points you made. It will definetly make me reconsider the way I've approached tables for my campaign. Thanks.