Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] [D&D 5e] Custom Setting Campaign looking for 1-2 players

I have 1 or 2 openings for a D&D 5e campaign that is scheduled to start in Jan/2017. This is intended to be a story-driven campaign, with multiple story arcs that the party may pursue. It will be a weekly 2-hr game, held on a Wednesday night starting around 9 pm EST (US). We may move the start up or down an hour, depending on the time zone of all involved. We will be using Roll20 for audio/video, maps and possibly combat. A working good-quality mic is required, as well as a stable connection. Video is a plus (much more interesting to see everyone’s faces than talk to an avatar for months) but not strictly required. The setting is custom, or homebrew as the kids call it these days. The ruleset is standard D&D, with the possible additions of Sword Coast Adventurer’s guide class contents, as well as Unearthed Arcana archetypes. Some players have expressed the desire to possibly record the sessions and potentially post them on youtube for our own entertainment. So if you join, bear in mind that your face/voice may end up on the internet. I plan on having a session 0 the week of 12/12, to discuss various logistical items as well as to establish how the party knows each other.
If you’d like to join us, follow the instructions below: Pick your top 3 favorite elements in a game (from the ones below), highest to lowest: Fantasy (losing yourself in an imaginary world) Narrative (a well-told story) Challenge (obstacles to overcome, foes to defeat) Fellowship (social interaction and cooperation) Discovery (explore and learn new things) Expression (say something about who you are and what you believe) Abnegation (turn off your brain, kick doors, kill orcs) Please send me a character concept (not a character sheet!). A couple of guidelines: Start at level 1 No evil characters  Races: No dragonborn Drow, Tiefling, and Genasi are allowed as longs as your background story can justify it Any class or variant from official 5e books Custom classes or skills (e.g. spell-less ranger) may be allowed, check with me first Write 1 or 2 brief paragraphs summarizing your upbringing (i.e. how you became who you are) and what event propelled you into the life of an adventurer (the vast majority of people wouldn't risk gruesome deaths just for thrills). These should be brief, not a novel full of details. Come up with 1-3 friendly contacts (a relative, a mentor, a childhood friend, etc.); 1-3 neutral contacts (a merchant, a tutor, etc.); and 1-3 unfriendly contacts (a rival, a mean teacher, a thief/other who wronged you, etc.). I will weave these contacts into the world as the campaign unfolds. Add a background from the PHB or SCAG or make your own, with traits, ideals, bonds and flaws. Again, I don’t want the full character sheet just yet. Lastly - and this is optional - list your age and gender (just for my own knowledge when assembling the group).
An overview of the world to add some context: The continent you start in is taken up by twelve different countries. After centuries of small border disputes and trade disagreements among the twelve, the nation of Goranth went on an invasion spree. Goranth, led by archwizards self-titled the Archons, conquered two neighboring countries before the other nine formed an alliance to stop it. The war lasted close to ten years, and while no side surrendered, a truce was forced by the allied army blocking access through the mountain passes. You will start in the kingdom of Kaendar, or possibly Torean. Both are monarchies with a feudal system, with the land divided in duchies, counties and baronies. The nobility is all human and tends to frequent the noble circles in the various neighboring kingdoms. Non-humans are less common in the rural areas, but are a common sight in the larger cities. Other nations in the continent are: Nyderin, a sparsely-populated kingdom dominated by dense forests Mirandor, a dwarven kingdom with rather strict border control policies Sendach, a nation of vast plains and horselords Veridia, an elven kingdom nestled in verdant valleys and vast forests Revin, a nation of allied city-states, wary of foreign interests Hearadh, a kingdom perched upon inhospitable mountains, with most of its population in its port cities Grawyr, a fallen kingdom, taken over by hostile humanoid races Other faraway places in the world: Goranth, Lannraig and Eilean, part of the Goranthir empire that attempted to invade the rest of the continent a few decades ago Ibnir, the northern ice-covered, fjord-filled, glacial-weather nation Carradan, southern jungle-dominated kingdom More recently, a strange event of cataclysmic proportions occurred in the infamous Deadlands far to the West. Rumors vary wildly from a meteor falling from the sky, to the veil between this world and the Outside being broken. This far from it, nobody knows for sure what happened. Religion in this part of the world is dominated by the Church of the Infinite God, or Church of the Aspects as it is commonly referred to. Followers devote themselves to one or more particular Aspects. There as many Aspects as there are things in the world around them. Most popular are the Aspect of Harmony, Aspect of Light, Aspect of Order. The Aspect of Nature is sometimes referred to as the Earthmother. The eternal opponent to the faith is the No-God. Followers of the No-God work in secret to destroy civilization and dominate the world. They rarely appear openly in the twelve nations. In this world, dragons are just a myth. Much like in our world, they are the subject of fairy tales and fantastic stories. Some of these stories even mention the Dragonmen, humanoid dragon offspring that once ruled the continent on behalf of the dragons. But as I said, fairy tales.
Hey! I'd like to try and join! I'll send a PM with all of my details in a bit. Main things to note for me is that I am a youngin(17) and currently don't have a webcam to use :(.
I would love to join this if I didn't already have a great Pendragon game on this day.  Nothing better than to see a DM put so much thought into their advertising and search for the right player, bodes well for a campaign.  So kudos and a free bump I suppose.

Edited 1481052103
Wow, really interested in taking part in this! I'm 20 and a student. I have video and voice comms and will have you a brief writeup sometime this evening but I have to go to class right now. Feel free to message me!
I should probably have mentioned that the characters already in the group are a barbarian, a bard, and a rogue.  Thanks for the interest!
I would like to add a sorcerer into the fold if you dont mind
I sent you an application. Looking forward to your reply. :)
PM'd you my application as well.  Let me know if you want to know anything else.  Looking forward to this.
I sent you an application. Would like to be a fighter.