Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Can't post incharacter

Hi, I have a problem with the chat. I can't post as my character. I only have the name I registered with in the dropdown. The character was assigned to me by the GM and it seems to work for other players in the group. I'm using Firefox 25.0. Any suggestions?
You need to click on the "cog" symbol at the top right while in the campaign. In the settings change "display name" to your character.
1383395287

Edited 1383395339
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Click on the Gear in the top right corner and scroll down to where you see Display name. Change that to your character's name and you will display that name in that particular game board till you change it. To do emotes you will need to do /em (your action) but if you just put it in the chat you would see this. Metroknight : runs across the room but if you use the /em you would get something better in my opinion. Example : /em runs across the room will show as Metroknight runs across the room
1383418573
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jurgen, to clarify: your GM has assigned you a character sheet with a character sheet name (separate from your own) and you cannot switch to it using the dropdown menu below the chat box? - Gauss
@Gauss yes, that is how it is. It is not a big problem, We mostly use voice chat and I can use te workaround from above. I just wondered if I miss any settings or if it is a bug
1383438541
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Either way is the official way not a workaround. I just pointed out the change your display name way and Gauss pointed out the just post with your character name. Two different ways that achive the same results. My way just stays that way for that board until you change it while Gauss way you have to change it each time you enter the board (it might stay the same, haven't looked at it recently).
1383444037
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jurgen , please provide a screenshot of your Roll20 chat window. When you take the screenshot click on the dropdown menu below the chat window so I can see what it is showing. - Gauss
Here is my Settings-Area: The name for OOC Chat is set to Jürgen This is the Character I was assigned by the GM: And this is the dropdown in the chat window: As I understand, I should be able to choose between character name and out of character name here
1383467305
Gauss
Forum Champion
Can you edit your character sheet? - Gauss
No, I only see the Bio&Info tab.
1383477885

Edited 1383477964
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jurgen, I am guessing that your GM has set you to see the character but has not set you to control it. Because you are not set to control the Character "Juri Wolkow" you cannot speak as that character (change the "As" dropdown menu to that character). Your GM will need to set you to control the character. - Gauss
Ah ok. He said he had given me control over the character but it seem he forgot to set that checkbox(or whatever it is controlled with). Sent him a note and now everything works fine. Thanks for your help :)