Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Google Hangout API

Ezra
KS Backer
Just wanted to see if there had been any thought to using the Google+ Hangout API instead of TokBox? I'm not a web developer or anything, so I'm not sure if there are any technical reasons why TokBox would work for Roll20 and a Hangout wouldn't. But it seems like a number of people have had issues with TokBox performance/reliability, so I was wondering if moving to a completely different system was an option.
The obvious problem would be that this would limit Roll20 to Google+ users. I rather like G+, but I know many who don't, more who don't want to bother to sign up, and even a few who refuse to use any social network at all.
We've talked about Google+ a fair amount. Heck, we've talked about several crazy systems. Right now I think we're going to focus on TokBox, BUT the discussion goes that we might add some additional platforms later on down the line. Maybe. Overall, though, and I want to stress this, people have had really good luck with TokBox and the company has been responsive to our troubleshooting with them. Are we concerned about the people having problems? YES. We are VERY concerned and we are working on solutions. BUT the data and feedback we're getting indicates this solution is working well for the majority. If we up and moved onto Google+... the chances on Google returning our e-mails and giving us dedicated support is a lot slimmer, plus the extra level of login, etc. Door isn't closed on doing something there in the future, but right now, we'll be focused on TokBox for video chat.
I've used Google+ Hangouts for role-playing, and had technical issues there: such as freezes and dropouts, lag, intermittent video updates, etc. I don't think moving away from Tokbox is going to fix the technical problems with video. And Google+ Hangouts has some non-technical issues that using Tokbox avoids. The need to make an account is a decided barrier to entry. A lot of people are suspicious of Google (but then, some are apprehensive about Flash, too). And every so often Google+ pops up a window to ask "are you still there", and if you don't notice it (say, if you have the whiteboard in the foreground) it boots you out of the Hangout. We lose somebody at least once in every game.
NO. I don't have nor use a Google account, for myriad reasons.
Ezra
KS Backer
I just don't want to saddle Roll20 with sub-par video chat just because some people prefer not to sign up for a Google account. I only bring it up because I have had some performance issues with TokBox and I know others have as well. If the performance/features are no better for a Hangout than TokBox, then it makes no difference to me either way.