Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Really simple 5e OGL Sheet Question.

Zym
Sheet Author
Playing a Cleric using D&D 5e. I have an OGL Sheet open. I wanted to have the spell description appear when I make a spell attack. So that I don't miss vital information. i.e. Cast Guiding Bolt with the output of a spell attack but including the spell description. What is the best way to do this? Is it possible?
A quick substitute would be to have two versions of the the spell, one with the Attack format and the other with the Spellcard format. You would also be able to achieve this by going through each spell and replacing any instance of damage/healing with inline rolls. For example replace 1d6 with [[1d6]]. When the spell is called, the spellcard with calculate the damage in addition to printing the output. However, this approach loses the ability deal damage at higher levels without more tweaks. You also would lose the button inside the attack options, but to changing the spell from Attack to a Spellcard.

Edited 1482969798
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You can just copy the description from the spell's entry on the spell section to the spell's entry in the attack and spellcasting section on the main tab of the sheet. EDIT: The spell sheet: The attack's section: Note, I did not have the spell set for attack output when I took that screenshot. See the  5e OGL sheet wiki for more info on referencing repeating sections (extrapolate from the listed abilities to their relevant attributes).
Zym
Sheet Author
Thank you for the support. I appreciate it. However after seeing what you suggest and still looking at the problem I will post a screenshot. Then hopefully you can advise me some more on how to have the spell description in the output section on the chat box.
With the spell output set to ATTACK, it will not show the spell description. In order to display the description you will need to modify the spell inside the Attack actions table (first page of the 5e OGL character sheet) with either of the suggestions Scott had above (Copy the description entirely or pass it as a reference). 

Edited 1483021750
Zym
Sheet Author
Right that makes sense.  I've done what you have said and that is perfect.  Again thank you for the support.