Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[FEEDBACK SOUGHT] Savage Worlds Tabbed

Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I'm in the process of trying to make some updates to the Savage Worlds (Tabbed) sheet and running into problems with Labels in certain situations. So, I've been experimenting with two different ways of doing things: 1) Include explicit labels, 2) use placeholder as the label and extend the input field. I'm only talking about very specific instances of this, and not doing away with all labels, and mainly its about core character demographic information (i.e. name, race, etc.). Here's what the two different ways look like... With Labels (current view): Without Labels (experimental view): So, thoughts?

Edited 1483633123
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
From a UX perspective I'd recommend keeping labels in some form. Placeholders have their purpose, but they do not replace labels so well. <a href="https://www.nngroup.com/articles/form-design-place" rel="nofollow">https://www.nngroup.com/articles/form-design-place</a>... talks about the issues of doing so. Modern libraries like Material design use placeholders as labels. This is known as adaptive placeholders where the placeholders fly out and become labels once the content is set - that's the best of both worlds imo.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Thanks for the feedback, Kryx. &nbsp;Perhaps something like this?: The only problem with that is the amount of vertical space it ends up using...
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It really depends what design you're going for. I use that method and a few others on the 5e Shaped Sheet. Perhaps the Savage World paper sheets can be of some guidance in terms of design? If you're going to use the method above I'd recommend ditching the border on all sides but the bottom and reducing the vertical padding of the input.