Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

minor bug: arrow keys don't work if grid is off

plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
When the grid is on, selecting a token and pressing arrow keys moves the token 1-grid unit. When the grid is off, the arrow keys do nothing. I can't think of any reason why the arrow keys shouldn't move tokens when the grid is turned off. It's arduously slow moving them 3 pixels at a time with alt-arrow key.. This might seem like it's "working as intended", but it affects quality of life for players who prefer gridless play (or use isometric maps).

Edited 1483830234
Gold
Forum Champion
True, plexsoup, that is how it currently works. Have you tried using a hidden/invisible grid (no opacity setting), and if you want more granular movement, use a fractional grid size like .25 per unit? This makes the appearance of no grid, but the benefits of granular arrow-key movement, and still avoiding the boxy concept of square-by-square grid-based games, since tokens can move to almost any position with the fractional grid granularity. In other words make a dense grid that is invisible.   I haven't found this method to be incompatible with Isometric maps.  I consider my games as "gridless play" but I use the type of grid described in the background to facilitate arrow-key movement for quality-of-life. If you do this, one tip is, disable the grid during map assembly. Enable the grid with the above specifications once the Players, tokens, and maps are already placed down on the page. Note: ultimately, "Allow arrow key movement when grid is disabled", would be a good Suggestions & Ideas post.
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's a good workaround, Gold. Thanks. i still consider this a bug, not a suggestion. (Also, the way the suggestions voting system works, minor bugs will never get enough votes for consideration.)