Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Google hangouts API going away

Is there a plan for dealing with this? <a href="https://www.slashgear.com/google-hangouts-shutting" rel="nofollow">https://www.slashgear.com/google-hangouts-shutting</a>...
Pretty sure Roll20 officially stopped supporting "Launch in Google Hangouts" a while ago. The option's still there, but Hangouts has been on its way out the door for a while now. I could be mistaken, of course.&nbsp; My Groups have predominantly used regular Roll20 with Discord or Skype for years now.
That's remarkable to me, because I have never been able to get the regular API to work at all. Launching in Google Hangouts was the only fix that worked, and it suddenly didn't work either last weekend. This effectively means that Roll20 no longer works as an option for my gaming group.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
If the regular "Join Game" button isn't working for you Michael, you should definitely open a bug report to get to the bottom of it.

Edited 1484076565
Greetings all - we've just posted an&nbsp; announcement on this topic ... "Google has announced their plans to shut down the Google Hangouts API as of April 25, 2017. We believe that changes made on Google's end of things caused a few days where users were having issues connecting via the "Launch in Google Hangouts" option. Our Devs have worked to resolved this and currently, GMs can launch their game in Google Hangouts again. The changes on Google’s end have created a few caveats, 1) Hangouts will only work with users who have previously approved the Roll20 App within Google Hangouts and approved it for use. 2) all players must be logged in to their Roll20 account before launching Hangouts. If a new player tries to approve the Roll20 App in a Hangout, but have not done this before this point, the app will error out. The same is true if the user is not signed into their Roll20 account before joining the Hangout. As we've seen previously relying on these third party services has been unsustainable - we're going to continue to prioritize the development of our own voice and video solution. To help us improve WebRTC , please report any bugs in this thread . Users who have any issues with this process are free to email us at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> for more information." I'm going to close this thread, if you have any questions as we said above please email us. Thanks!