Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

My saving throws macro broke last week.

Edited 1484079130
Last tuesday, I wrote the following saving throws macro for my AD&D2E game: /w @{selected|token_name} &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} ATTEMPTS A SAVING THROW!}}{{@{selected|parnotes}[PARALIZATION](!#SAVE-VS-PARALYZATION)[POISON](!#SAVE-VS-POISON) DEATH MAGIC](!#SAVE-VS-DEATH-MAGIC)}}{{@{selected|rodnotes}[ROD](!#SAVE-VS-ROD)[STAFF](!#SAVE-VS-STAFF)[WAND](!#SAVE-VS-WAND)}}{{@{selected|petnotes}[PETRIFICATION](!#SAVE-VS-PETRIFICATION)[POLYMORPH](!#SAVE-VS-POLYMORPH)}}{{@{selected|breathnotes}[BREATH WEAPON](!#SAVE-VS-BREATH-WEAPON)}}{{@{selected|spnotes}[SPELL](!#SAVE-VS-SPELL)}}{{@{selected|gearnotes}[ITEM SAVE](!#ITEM-SAVES)}} The way it works is each token has this macro as a token action.  When the player clicks this token action, a template which can only be seen by the individual player pops up in chat (so that it doesn't clog up the chat for everybody in the game) which has a link to each type of saving throw. The player then clicks the appropriate saving throw which then gm whispers another template with the result of the saving throw. Each individual linked macro works perfectly, but this macro seems to break down the system.  When I click the saving throw link I want to roll, it asks me for a miscellaneous modifier (which is a function I wrote into each individual linked saving throw macro of course) and it seemingly functions normally, but then *POOF*. No actual saving throw roll appears in chat.  Like I said, when I roll the linked macros individually, they work fine even though they use imaginary numbers i.e. negative zero. Where did I go wrong?  This macro worked fine the day I wrote it last Tuesday, but by Saturday, it was broken.  I need a hand. Edit: Here are the macros which are linked in the above macro: /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. PARALYZATION}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|partar}@{selected|parmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. POISON}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|partar}@{selected|parmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. DEATH MAGIC}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|partar}@{selected|parmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. ROD}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|rodtar}@{selected|rodmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. STAFF}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|rodtar}@{selected|rodmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. WAND}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|rodtar}@{selected|rodmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. PETRIFICATION}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|pettar}@{selected|petmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. POLYMORPH}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|pettar}@{selected|petmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. BREATH WEAPON}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|breathtar}@{selected|breathmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} /w gm &{template:default}{{name=@{selected|token_name} SAVES VS. SPELL}}{{[[D20>[[(0?{MISCELLANEOUS MODIFIER|+0})*(0-1)+@{selected|sptar}@{selected|spmod}]]]]SUCCESS(ES)}} Thanks ahead of time for any macro wizard's help. :D
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
HTMLentities seems your culprit, somewhere...
Andrew C said: HTMLentities seems your culprit, somewhere... Any idea where I went wrong?  I will post the individual saving throw macros as an edit to the original post.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
At this time, reopening a Macro saved under the Collections tab of the Sidebar causes HTML entities within to be reverted; if the Macro is then saved, so are those reversions. This behaviour is not present within Abilities . Does this should like it might be the issue you're experiencing?
Silvyre said: At this time, reopening a Macro saved under the Collections tab of the Sidebar causes HTML entities within to be reverted; if the Macro is then saved, so are those reversions. This behaviour is not present within Abilities . Does this should like it might be the issue you're experiencing? Yes I think so.  But I don't recall which HTML symbols I originally used.  So do you mean I should re-enter the original HTML symbols in my first macro which links the others?  If this is what's causing the issue, should I elevate this to a bug report?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Gargamond said: So do you mean I should re-enter the original HTML symbols in my first macro which links the others? Yes, that's correct. You'll likely only need to replace every instance of !# with !
# as per Entering API Buttons In Chat . A bug report is unnecessary; the Dev Team is aware of the fact that HTML entities will revert when a Macro is opened.

Edited 1484082502
Silvyre said: Gargamond said: So do you mean I should re-enter the original HTML symbols in my first macro which links the others? Yes, that's correct. You'll likely only need to replace every instance of !# with ! # as per Entering API Buttons In Chat . A bug report is unnecessary; the Dev Team is aware of the fact that HTML entities will revert when a Macro is opened. I have found that the HTML entities are unneccessary as they are merely a replacement for a carriage return. I will enter carriage returns whenever using this tech henceforth. Thank you for your help. :D Please close this thread immediately.