Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Cannot copy game

Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I often make copies of my games to try new scripts and such. Today I cannot anymore. When I try to copy a game, after clicking on "I'm ready, Create Game", the page stays on the same page, with the message "Creating, please wait..." I waited a few hours, but nothing happens. When going back to my games, the new game is indeed created, but it is empty. My storage quota usage is 81MB / 2000MB
Gid
Roll20 Team
What's the name of the game you're trying to copy, Laurent?

Edited 1482420351
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It seems this has to do with the chat log of the game I'm trying to copy: I noticed that I got only one line of chat log when login to the game. And when I click on the "View all chat entries for this game »", chrome crashes, complaining that it got out of memory. I wouldn't expect the chat log to be that large, considering that we played for less than 15 hours... The name of the game is "L'Aventure" I managed to copy the game without the chat log. But I would like to be able to see the chat log in my original game again.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you were doing rather large dice rolls or using a roll template, those sometimes cause the chat to crash.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So, I would like to know what to do about that. Currently, I cannot see my chat history beyond a small part of the last session (and cannot copy it). 1/ Is there any way to recover the chat history? Maybe save it somewhere and delete it to have a sane chat log state? 2/ What went wrong with the chat? Is there any particular chat action, or pattern, that should be avoided? I don't think I used any very large dice roll. I didn't use a lot of roll templates. I often display images in the chat. Could that be the reason?
Gid
Roll20 Team
What can happen is that if someone in the game copies content from a PDF and pastes it into chat, there can be character artifacts that can cause one of the chat's sessions to corrupt the entire chat archive. If you want to hold onto your chat archive, we can dig through our back end to isolate the session and clean out the one that caused the JSON error. We can get this addressed next week.

Edited 1484416649
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ok, great! Just note that I changed the name of the game from "L'Aventure" to "L'Aventure scénario 1"
Gid
Roll20 Team
Hi Laurent, If you check your chat archive now, we were able to get some functionality back. We weren't able to recover the last two game sessions worth of chat logs due to what is bogging them down. What seems to be causing the chat archive to break are the roll templates you have set up. They include very large graphics which are causing the chat to break down under the stress of rendering all of these roll templates. You'll want to tinker with your roll templates to avoid these or otherwise you're likely to hit a critical mass like this again.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks a lot for debuging my chat archive. If I understand correctly, the issue is with rendering large graphics. The graphics I display are the avatars of the game characters. I certainly don't need the full details of these images in chat, but they do help to identify who's doing what. Currently, I scale the images to a third of the chat width. Would it solve the issue if I used a fixed (small) width? Or does it only depend on the resolution of the original picture?
Gid
Roll20 Team
The process of calling up the image and inserted it into the chat and then managed by CSS is going to be very data heavy in comparison to the rest of the text-only portions of roll template's content. With images appearing with every time the roll template is executed, it's likely going to be too overbearing for the chat archive after a couple of sessions. If you're hard pressed with keeping images in those templates, you'll want to upload a set of images that are much smaller in size and backup-then-delete your chat archive every couple of sessions.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What is a bit puzzling to me is that, each time we speak "as a character" in the chat, the avatar of the character is displayed in chat. What is the difference with the images I display in the roll templates? Do you keep somewhere low resolution versions of the avatars to display in the chat? Or is it the case that even just chatting "as characters" with high resolution avatars will be too much for the chat archive after a couple of sessions?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Laurent M. said: Do you keep somewhere low resolution versions of the avatars to display in the chat? That's exactly what happens. When you upload a graphic to your art library, we make two alternative versions to sit alongside the original image. One is a thumbnail and the other image saved is a medium-sized version where the largest dimension is capped at (if I recall correctly) 512 pixels. Chat is using the much smaller thumbnail versions. Roll20 swaps the different versions in and out depending on what's needed, usually. It looks like your roll templates are forced the original images to display in chat.

Edited 1484948107
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
And is there a way to refer to the thumbnail or the medium-sized version from the API?
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
While I can understand the impact on displaying the chat, I still don't get why large images in the chat would crash chat copy, by the way.