Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Multiple Character Sheet Layouts

Add the ability to have multiple layouts for each Character Sheet type. So for example, a Dungeon World sheet could have a "layout" for each different class. You could then switch between each layout on the fly. This would save on resources since the entire sheet and all possibilities wouldn't need to be active at the same time.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've been dying to have this for the Exalted sheet since release! =D Question: would all of the alternates exist in the DOM? There are seven types of exalt, and the sheet for each is generally the same: biographical information, attributes, abilities, backgrounds, charms, equipment, health, essence, and Limit/Urge/Resonance/Clarity for a 1-page sheet. (My version is essentially the 4-page sheet, with extra stuff that would normally be written freehand on the back of a 1-page sheet for an in-person game). However, the Abilities section in particular changes the order almost completely between exalt types. It would pretty much have to be repeated seven times. If all of that useless information is loading along with my character, well... I'd rather not have that if it can be avoided. For example, Solar abilities: Dawn Zenith Twilight Archery Integrity Craft* Martial Arts Performance Investigation Melee Presence Lore Thrown Resistance Medicine War Survival Occult Night Eclipse Athletics Bureaucracy Awareness Linguistics Dodge Ride Larceny Sail Stealth Socialize Terrestrial abilities: Air Earth Fire Linguistics Awareness Athletics Lore Craft* Dodge Occult Integrity Melee Stealth Resistance Presence Thrown War Socialize Water Wood Bureaucracy Archery Investigation Medicine Larceny Performance Martial Arts Ride Sail Survival Lunar Abilities: War Life Wisdom Archery Craft* Bureaucracy Athletics Larceny Investigation Awareness Linguistics Lore Dodge Performance Medicine Integrity Presence Occult Martial Arts Ride Melee Sail Resistance Socialize Thrown Stealth War Survival * Craft is then separated into 10 sub-skills, which I have implemented with an on-hover popup on the Solar sheet. With most of the rest of the sheet, I could simply use CSS tabs to change around colors and show/hide spans with the appropriate text, but the abilities section causes problems for that approach, and is the main reason the Exalted sheet in the system remains Solar-only for now.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This could be used for API UI.
This would also be really useful for D&D, giving the DM an option to use a scaled-down monster sheet instead of the full Player Character sheet.

Edited 1415688185
Something like this might help with performance as well (though sure you guys knew that). GM's could build quick an dirty character sheets that have like 15 numbers all packed together, so they can whip up a monster in no time, along with a few macro templates for basic actions. No need for a 300 number-mega sheet for a goblin ...
Check out the AD&D 2E sheet for player/monster sheet switchability Check out the DCC sheet for tabbing between different sheets within the same sheet. Isn't it all in the design of the sheet?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The 5e Sheet has a nice NPC version you can switch to. It can certainly be done in the sheet's design, but it is really complicated compared to how it could be done by the Roll20 UI.
I dont know if this is exactly what the op said, but I personally would love to have multiple character sheet options. What I mean, is I dont want to have a character sheet that has additional tabs that simplify the information. What I am saying is that if the GM clicks the Add Character Sheet Option, it allows the GM to choose what type of character sheet to produce. In the same respect, I also think it would be nice if in-game if you could add sheets to a character sheet. i.e. If the character is a Cleric (1)/Sorcerer (1)/Bard (1) they can add another spell sheet to the character sheet allowing the bards spell progression to be added. In the same sense, I think it would make transferring characters from different settings easier. i.e. a 3.5 character transferred to a Pathfinder campaign. Nevermind that, unless the GM/Player could choose to translate the sheet into another sheet (Otherwise, the player would be forced to re-write the entire character anyways).
Simon said: I dont know if this is exactly what the op said, but I personally would love to have multiple character sheet options. What I mean, is I dont want to have a character sheet that has additional tabs that simplify the information. What I am saying is that if the GM clicks the Add Character Sheet Option, it allows the GM to choose what type of character sheet to produce. In the same respect, I also think it would be nice if in-game if you could add sheets to a character sheet. i.e. If the character is a Cleric (1)/Sorcerer (1)/Bard (1) they can add another spell sheet to the character sheet allowing the bards spell progression to be added. In the same sense, I think it would make transferring characters from different settings easier. i.e. a 3.5 character transferred to a Pathfinder campaign. Nevermind that, unless the GM/Player could choose to translate the sheet into another sheet (Otherwise, the player would be forced to re-write the entire character anyways). Oh, this. This, this, this, this! I'd love to be able to have to support for, say, both a Vampire and a Werewolf in a WoD campaign or two different custom Clan Sheets for a Vampire:TM campaign. I'll look into doing this with the current interface per the Mod's suggestion, but what about this? What if, instead of having a set sheet for a campaign, you could have a stored list of both the template sheets and custom sheets you have added as a GM. You could set a "default" sheet for a campaign, but you could also swap the sheet out for individual characters. The attribute system would still work essentially the same as it does now, you'd just be able to change out the displayed sheet template.
Dan K. said: This would also be really useful for D&D, giving the DM an option to use a scaled-down monster sheet instead of the full Player Character sheet. This in a nutshell. I'd love to have a mini-char sheet with all of Actoba's 5e functionality, but much smaller layout. Stats, passive perception, weapon attacks, class abilities / spells
I'm playing Skulk & Shackels Pathfinder AP and I need to do sheets both for chsracters and ships. This would be great.
+1 I would really like to have this. (for 5th ed) having a Character sheet, an NPC sheet, and a monster character sheet would be idea. Having them separate would allow them all to have an AC attribute rather than AC, and npc_AC. it makes macros annoying to create.
I just saw this request somewhere else in the forum, stumpled upon this suggestion and simply had to upvote it. This would be very helpful, also for many other system (and be it NPC/PC)
Can't this be done with radio buttons and a CSS :active selector? That's what I'm doing on The One Ring, to switch between three different sheets.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Heilemann said: Can't this be done with radio buttons and a CSS :active selector? That's what I'm doing on The One Ring, to switch between three different sheets. :checked, not :active, but yes. Many existing sheet do something similar. However, it requires loading all of the variants for every sheet. Ideally, one would be able to set the layout when creating/editing the character, and only that layout would be loaded. Depending on the sheet, it could make things a lot simpler to write, as well. Making alternative layouts for various Exalt types on the Exalted 2e sheet is a headache without this (which is why I haven't bothered doing it).
Brian, would you be willing to have some help in that score? I am running an exalted game on here and would be happy to help you 'finish' the sheet if you would tutor me in how you did it in the first place... Not the ideal solution I know, we all want multiple sheets as per this suggestion here, but at least it would make the fine Exalted sheet you have created workable for a full Exalted 2e game... Oh, and in case people could not tell, huge +1 from me.
It would also be nice if you could have multiple types of sheet per game. For exapmle, I'm currently running a FATE/Legend hybrid game and if Legend sheets existed I'd like to be able to have both available to my players. Alternatively, in a whitewolf game you might have different types of characters (vampire, warewolf, mage) and being able to import all of those would be quite helpful.
I have that exact problem atm for my world of darkness campaigns, 4-5 characters and average of two types per campaign (werewolf/mage, vampire/mage, etc). Would kill for the ability to import more than one type of world of darkness character sheet.
Fallyrion said: I'm playing Skulk & Shackels Pathfinder AP and I need to do sheets both for chsracters and ships. This would be great. I'm GMing Kingmaker and Wrath of the RIghteous Pathfinder APs. I could use sheets for characters, armies, cities and the bloody Kingdom. Brian said: <lots of stuff> I also have a multi exalted campaign on the oven just waiting for this feature. I believe that some White Wolf systems, the FFG Star Wars and Dungeon World could benefit from this. There must be other systems as well I just don't know them.
+1
This would be phenomenal for World of Darkness games, as those were made to interlock and have characters of totally different backgrounds playing together in the same world. Right now I have to run multiple games and link them via skype. Less than ideal.
I would also like to promote this capability.  Is there any movement at all on this front right now?  I am an avid World of Darkness (Chronicles of Darkness for anyone following the purchase of White Wolf) and this has been the single most limiting thing about roll20... I either have to come up with a generic (all encompassing) character sheet, or have some kind of combination of different Character sheet templates to use in a single game.  Some people may be playing mages while others are vampires and these templates are significantly different in certain areas.
Can we get some more information about if this will be a thing in the future?
This is essential for World of Darkness if you ever consider having more then 1 type of supernatural in your game. I love the 'New World of Darkness Official Sheet' but it still is missing both Hunter and Demon. If I could only grab the standalone ones from the other templates and mix them in my game I would have everything covered.
+!
This is still vastly relevant, especially for games like World of Darkness (Chronicles and Classic alike) where you may have a player as a mage and the remaining party members either being normal mortals or another supernatural altogether. The sheets currently only support the splat of which they come from. As a GM and player, I would love to be able to have two or three sheets to use for my games... or remove the limit entirely, as it also helps with NPC construction if they use the right sheet to begin with.
WoD GM here.  New to Roll20.  This lack of functionality may be a deal breaker.  
Currently in the works for a World Of Darkness campaign.  I really wish this feature would come out - Please make this a thing <3
Running into this problem again with Rogue Trader, need to be able to do sheets for ships and colonies but had to sacrifice that for CHARACTERS to have their sheet!
+1 this.  I would find it immediately useful for WoD, but also for other games where I prefer to use "simplified" sheets for NPCs.
This would be really helpful for Blades in the Dark so that you can have a Crew sheet as well as the character sheets. 
Sam
Sheet Author
This, please this +1
+1 for this it would be perfect for rogue trader for a player character sheet and a ship character sheet
Hello, Players of mine are starting to multiclass and I would like to find a way to switch the spellsheet from one to another. This would allow to display wizard spells on one sheet and cleric on another.
XophRA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Multiple Sheet types is essential to my game,  Free Spacer . The players share a Ship sheet, a contract sheet, and each have their own character sheets.
+1 to this for sure. I'd love to use multiple sheets for my Blades in the Dark campaign -- players share a Crew Sheet and each have their own character sheets. Right now we do it (clumsily) by making the Crew sheet a handout... But it doesn't look great.
Phoxounet
Sheet Author
Translator
As already stated here, it would be really helpfull for mobs and npc, as a GM only character sheet layer. GM would love this functionality. :)

Edited 1470893964
+1 It would be useful to be able to do a sheet for the ships in Traveller as well as for the characters.
Many of the games that really depend upon having several different sheets, seeing that there's been no movement toward allowing multiple sheets per game, have done work to integrate all of the necessary sheets into one document with multiple modes.  Blades in the Dark, for instance, now has a Crew mode and a Character mode so that you can have everything necessary.  If your game needs multiple sheet types, you may want to reach out to the people who contributed your sheets and see if they can add the extra functionality you need.
+1
+1

Edited 1485002743
Fabian D.
Sheet Author
It would also give the option to make convenience sheets or expanded item sheets. Taking Stars Without Number for example, the printed version comes with 7 sheets. For Factions, Ships, NPCs, Characters, Worlds, Corporations ... In most games it would also add the ability to include a GM side sheet, where the GM may be able to keep track of multiple players and npcs, linking their combat-relevant attributes. (This would require the ability to reference other sheet's data though)
It appears that the "official" roll20 version of the World of Darkness template has come up with a creative way to combat this issue.  Take a look at that and see if maybe it can be applied to some of the other types of games.  I still vote that this become a native to the roll20 system, but their current approach is a good alternative.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Justin said: It appears that the "official" roll20 version of the World of Darkness template  well it is not official :) it was created by volunteers. But it is well done for 1st and 2nd edition of the New Wold of Darkness games. But having this functionality native in Roll20 should mean it is easier for people to create multiple sheets like this. And combine that with the new translation option for language and we should need a lot less character sheets.
+1 for this.. Traveller character and starships for me...
+1 for this.
+1 for this, Would help so many situations......
+ 1 for this as well as having each of my players wanting different templates
+1 Yes Please. I would like to run multiple games in the same campaign world with the same players (and often characters). This would make it much easier to transition between systems while still maintaining the assets in one place and keeping the campaign link consistent for players.
This will also make it easier for games such as Starfinder, in which the party also has a sheet for a ship.