Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Unhappy with added bar to chat avatars.

Just noticed there is a new blue bar added to the chat avatars. I figure its connected to the mic volume somehow but the bar itself is distracting and annoying. Can we please get an option to turn it off?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Screenshot?
Here we go. GM and the player on the right are having a diskussion and a blue bar in the chat avatar rises and sinks depending on who's talking. (Faces and names covered in order to protect the innocent.)
Powercards! :D
SkyCaptainXIII said: Powercards! :D Always! :D

Edited 1485982778
I don't see as many people using them these days with the character sheets so prevalent. Ah well. On topic... I like the idea of the blue bar myself. It's nice to see when someone is speaking, but an option or options to change the color/opacity would be cool. Might be doable via Stylish.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
In particular, we use the similar feature on hangouts to know who's mic is feedingback. 
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yeah, I honestly can't think of any VOIP system that doesn't  have some sort of indicator of who's speaking. I can certainly understand finding it distracting, as the contrast between the blue bar and the avatar/video is high, so if the bar is moving it would easily draw your eye.
Brian said: Yeah, I honestly can't think of any VOIP system that doesn't  have some sort of indicator of who's speaking. I can certainly understand finding it distracting, as the contrast between the blue bar and the avatar/video is high, so if the bar is moving it would easily draw your eye. I can only speak for myself and my group - but yep, it's very distracting. I dislike having animated blue lines in the corner of my eye. :P
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
SkyCaptainXIII said: I don't see as many people using them these days with the character sheets so prevalent. Off-topic sorry but I can never pass up an opportunity to endorse Powercards!! I currently run with ~450 individual powercards including spells in my main game and I have a database of ~3600 more spells in progress with automatic powercard generating formulas attached ;) (conditional sound support would be amazing though... I know, I know but if I don't keep nagging it might never happen!!)
Ziechael said: SkyCaptainXIII said: I don't see as many people using them these days with the character sheets so prevalent. Off-topic sorry but I can never pass up an opportunity to endorse Powercards!! "automatic powercard generating formulas" What be this sorcery you're speaking of? I put everything in by hand!! :) - yes, yes off topic, but at least I created the thread.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I play 3.5e so that means a LOT of repeated information so I figured I'd let google sheets handle the bulk of that and a few customisable settings allow me to quickly create powercards including nested attack macros: And spells:
Gnah...I don't even know how to start doing something like this. :)

Edited 1486038630
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A LOT of concatenation and if/then statements ;) I'd share it out but there are a few things that are specific to my 3.5e custom sheet and token setup in there which would make it useless to anyone else lol On topic, changes to the 'speaking' indicator would have to be made through the suggestions forum at this stage I believe but SkyCaptain's idea of stylish might be worth exploring?

Edited 1486151859
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ravenknight, what you're looking for is this: #playerzone .player .volume-meter {     background-color: red !important; } replace red with whatever color you want or transparent to completely hide it. (For future generations: you would put that style in a Stylish theme for the VTT. )
Woot! Thanks a lot Aaron! :) I'm sure it's a handy feature.. but for me it's terribly distracting.