Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API Questions from a new converted Roll20 Pro DM

Greetings! I've recently upgraded from Plus to Pro, and have some questions as it relates to API scripts: 1.  Do I need to be concerned about running too many scripts simultaneously?  Will it impact the performance of the game?  If so, is it possible to tell what the current load on system resources is? 2.  What scripts do you guys recommend?  I'm looking for anything that makes running a campaign easier.  I currently have the "5th Edition OGL Companion", "Areas of Effect", and "Torch" scripts loaded.  I'm also planning to load "TurnMarker1" tonight.   Among other things, I'm looking for an easy way to manage PC ammo counts... supposedly the OGL Companion script has that built into it, but I can't seem to get it working.  The spell slot counter portion is working fine, however.  I also would love a script that gives me more control over PC token movement, particularly on dynamic lighting enabled maps, where there isn't fog of war to prevent the players from moving too quickly. Sorry about all the questions... I'm just really excited about how scripts might change the way my group plays. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1486011967
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Azarin said: Greetings! I've recently upgraded from Plus to Pro, and have some questions as it relates to API scripts: 1.  Do I need to be concerned about running too many scripts simultaneously?  Will it impact the performance of the game?  If so, is it possible to tell what the current load on system resources is? Simple answer: not really The "ish" answer: it depends on your scripts. Most scripts won't give you a problem. There's not an easy way to see the current system load especially as what is logged to the api console is totally dependant on the scripts loaded in your campaign. Personally I run with about 10 scripts in my live game and don't really have an issue. 2.  What scripts do you guys recommend?  I'm looking for anything that makes running a campaign easier.  I currently have the "5th Edition OGL Companion", "Areas of Effect", and "Torch" scripts loaded.  I'm also planning to load "TurnMarker1" tonight.   It depends on what you want to do. Some people will tell you that tokenMod is an absolute must have, personally I don't use it as much based on how I run my game, but it depends on you. There are scripts for controlling the jukebox easily, navigating the page toolbar easily, tracking health, automating traps (I highly recommend It's a Trap), and oh so much more. If you've got some specific needs, we can certainly point you to scripts that will help. Among other things, I'm looking for an easy way to manage PC ammo counts... supposedly the OGL Companion script has that built into it, but I can't seem to get it working.  The spell slot counter portion is working fine, however.  I also would love a script that gives me more control over PC token movement, particularly on dynamic lighting enabled maps, where there isn't fog of war to prevent the players from moving too quickly. I haven't used the ammo tracking on the OGL companion script, so I can't really help with that other than to point you to the  sheet's wiki page if you haven't already read it. Sorry about all the questions... I'm just really excited about how scripts might change the way my group plays. No need to be sorry, welcome to the addiction that is API scripts ;) Feel free to ask anything else you're wondering about. Thanks in advance! -Scott EDIT: my biased recommendation list: Page Navigator * - Easily move your players to new pages and have their tokens auto generated on the new map. Roll20AM * - Total control of the Jukebox via chat commands Torch - You've already got this one It's a Trap - Automate the handling of traps from passive perception to triggering Recursive Tables - This doesn't seem crazy awesome at first glance; then you want to make a magic item shop generator or a treasure hoard generator or any of a dozen other things that need you to roll on nested tables. *Disclaimer - I made these two so I fully admit I'm heavily biased
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The performance of the API will only affect other API scripts. Generally, you should be fine running 20 or more, it really has more to do with what the scripts are doing.  Here's some of the scripts I've written that are more popular: 1. TokenMod -- lets you set all kinds of things on a group of tokens.  2. GroupInitiative -- lets you roll initiative for whole selections of tokens.  3. Bump -- lets you manipulate tokens on the GM layer from the object layer and easily pop them between layers.  And I've got one for your moving players:  TokenLock -- prevents tokens from being moved, with an option to let the top most initiative token move.  I'll get you links tomorrow. 
I also recommend: Worldmap discovery, Easy Experience and Matt's Door control. (Door control takes a little practice to set up right but when you get it working you can have the players open and close and pick the locks of any door on the map. A great relief for a stressed out DM.) Also if you want your macros to look their best check out: Powercards
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's also worth mentioning that the API server has some throttles in place which will prevent a misbehaving/buggy script from bringing the entire house down.
Two API I like Light Crumb Trail Layer Scripter
Thanks for all of the responses guys! Lots of cool scripts for me to try (and yes, the API has some seriously addictive qualities). I'd really like to find scripts that will facilitate the player character creation process for my players.  The only one I've found so far is CharSheet, which I plan on trying tonight, but I'm wondering if it will allow me to establish a template from which to pull new sheets... I have a character sheet template set up that employs several token-based macros for gameplay.. I'd like to keep those.  Anyone know if this will be possible?  Have any other suggestions for character creation? Thanks again guys!