Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Handouts and "Show All Players"

I noticed when I create handouts if I want the ability to "show to all players" I need to have it tagged as "In All Players Journal".  The issue with this is that players can see and browse the handouts ahead of time. Is there a solution where players cant see the handout before I hit the "show all players" without me first adjusting the "In Player's Journal" to include all players? Thanks.
When you are ready to show a handout to your players, simply right click on the handout in your journal and select the option to "Show All Players". This will add the "In Player's Journal's" property of "All Players" and open the handout on their table top simultaneously.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Michael, when you click 'show to players' on a handout it will add the 'all players' condition to the 'in player's journal' field for you. If this isn't already enabled you'll even get a prompt warning you that you are about to add the handout to all player's journals. Simply put, the default behaviour is that players cannot see a handout until you either give them permission manually or use the 'show to players' button. Is this not your experience? 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Side note: you can drag a handout to a player's name/avatar/face at the bottom of the VTT to show and give view permission to just that player. 
The Aaron said: Side note: you can drag a handout to a player's name/avatar/face at the bottom of the VTT to show and give view permission to just that player.  Cool. I did not know this.
Ziechael said: Is this not your experience?  That's not my experience but I figured out the issue.  If you tag it as "In the DM's Journal" it will not allow you to show it to players automatically - you need to manually update it as I was doing.  Leaving the journal field blank works as you described. So I'll put this down to a PEBKAC. Thanks everyone! :)  
Michael M. said: Ziechael said: Is this not your experience?  That's not my experience but I figured out the issue.  If you tag it as "In the DM's Journal" it will not allow you to show it to players automatically - you need to manually update it as I was doing.  Leaving the journal field blank works as you described. So I'll put this down to a PEBKAC. Sounds like a bug if it's not adding all players just because the GM is tagged.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
SkyCaptainXIII said: Michael M. said: Ziechael said: Is this not your experience?  That's not my experience but I figured out the issue.  If you tag it as "In the DM's Journal" it will not allow you to show it to players automatically - you need to manually update it as I was doing.  Leaving the journal field blank works as you described. So I'll put this down to a PEBKAC. Sounds like a bug if it's not adding all players just because the GM is tagged. If any player or subset of players is tagged (including the GM), it will only show it to those players, which is a very nice functionality normally. If you have the GM logged in as player in another window, it will show it to them like they were a player. So I think it's working as intended, especially since there's no reason to ever tag the GM unless you want the GM to be able to view it while logged in as a player.
They could just tag themselves with their player name if they wanted to do that. Maybe add a second button for Show to All Players regardless of any settings.