Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Favorite Javascript IDE?

plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What's your favorite development environment for writing javascript for Roll20? I've been using Notepad++ for writing code and jshint.com for checking it. I suspect there might be something better than Notepad++ though.

Edited 1486345606
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
For me, it's VIM. (Obviously the best text editor ever made...), but it has a steep learning curve. I'd say you start to get a feeling for it after 100 hours, and gain a measure of proficiency after 500 hours. As a programmer, I use it daily at work, and nightly at home. I've probably got a 10,000+ hours in it by now.  I have VIM setup to update my lastUpdate time stamp whenever I save and also run JSHint against the file and display the results. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Moderator note: it's against the CoC to link to an outside sales site. Please keep discussion as relevant to to the Roll20 API as possible. You have been warned! =D
Visual Studio for me.  Most because I do more then just Javascript
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
For Roll20 scripts, I mostly actually use the built-in editor. >.>
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: For me, it's VIM. (Obviously the best text editor ever made...), but it has a steep learning curve. I'd say you start to get a feeling for it after 100 hours, and gain a measure of proficiency after 500 hours. As a programmer, I use it daily at work, and nightly at home. I've probably got a 10,000+ hours in it by now.  I have VIM setup to update my lastUpdate time stamp whenever I save and also run JSHint against the file and display the results.  Could you give us a hint on the packages and settings you're using for vim?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
For me: IntelliJ (WebStorm). My code is quite modular and the ability to search through certain sections or find and replace with regex or the many other features is crucial.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Laurent M. said: Could you give us a hint on the packages and settings you're using for vim? Some of the bundles I have installed for Javascript (using Vundle): Bundle 'maksimr/vim-jsbeautify' Bundle 'einars/js-beautify' Bundle 'elzr/vim-json' Bundle 'Shutnik/jshint2.vim' Bundle 'othree/yajs' Bundle 'JavaScript-Indent' And for git (I keep my development work in a private BitBucket Repo): Bundle 'tpope/vim-fugitive' And then in my .vimrc for updating lastUpdate: augroup javascript function! UpdateTimestamp () let l:winview = winsaveview() silent! execute "%s/\\<lastUpdate\\s*=\\s*\\zs\\d\\+\\ze[,;]$/\\= " . localtime() . "/" call winrestview(l:winview) endfunction autocmd BufWritePre,FileWritePre,FileAppendPre *.js :call UpdateTimestamp() autogroup END PM me if you wanna talk VIM in greater detail. =D
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I prefer Atom IO. It has a fairly simple interface, built-in github integration, and it's easy to hack custom plugins onto it using javascript/coffeescript and CSS.

Edited 1486536401
PaprikaCC
Pro
API Scripter
+1 for Atom as well; it's got lots of different styles and packages (there is a JS linter) for whatever you need, and it's decently lightweight as well. I'm trying to make it into a C++ IDE to learn with too.
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Lots of great ideas here! Very tempting to learn VIM.. not sure if I'm up for the 100 hours though. I'll check out Atom for now.
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
I'd put in a vote for some flavour of Intellij  as well. I've been down the text-editor route in the past with both emacs and vim (heresy!) and they're great, powerful programs, but in the end they never give you quite the level of smooth integration that you get with an IDE. Eclipse is good as well, but last time I used it (a while back) I found it quite buggy and occasionally quite obtuse in that typically OSS it-nearly-all-works-together-but-none-of-the-developers-can-agree kind of way. I also heard good things about VS Code.
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
VIM is life
Visual Studio Code is awesome for JavaScript and TypeScript editing, which is what I do most of my scripts in. TS along with TSLint helps to reduce JS errors by a ton.