Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

More Bubbles/Bars for the tokens and let the user choose how many are visible

The bubbles on top of the token are a great way to keep track off important stats etc. that keep changing a lot. Unfortunately 3 is not always enough. I would like to see an option for me to choose how many bubbles each token has visible. I don't know how many would completely overcrowd the token but I do know it's not 4. So the maximum should be what ever that number seems to be and I should be able to choose to keep visible 0 - that number of bubbles per token. Lets assume that number is 6. I could choose to keep visible 1 for all tokens to represent their HP/Wounds/etc. For one I want to add another to represent their Fortune Points. For a third one I need three to keep track their Arrows and for a fourth one a fourth to keep track Mana.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Not sure how aware you are of it, but the GM already controls which bubbles are visible to the player. All three will always be visible to the GM, though.
Brian said: Not sure how aware you are of it, but the GM already controls which bubbles are visible to the player. All three will always be visible to the GM, though. Yeah that is not what I meant. The main point is to get more bubbles and if we get more then it would be nice to be able to choose how many are actually visible.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I can certainly understand the desire for more than 3 bubbles (I'm out of votes, though =P), but on choosing how many bubbles to see, are you suggesting that the GM sets how many bubbles are visible, and then after that sets which of those visible bubbles are also visible to the players?
Brian said: I can certainly understand the desire for more than 3 bubbles (I'm out of votes, though =P), but on choosing how many bubbles to see, are you suggesting that the GM sets how many bubbles are visible, and then after that sets which of those visible bubbles are also visible to the players? No. Anyone who has the right to edit the token could set how many bubbles are visible. This way the player could him-/herself use just as many bubble s/he feels necessary.

Edited 1414189281
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What happens if the GM wants to have a bubble on a player's token and specifically wants to hide it from the players (including the token's controller)? That's not a hypothetical, by the way. Players in Unknown Armies aren't meant to know exactly how much HP their character is at, it's tracked by the GM.
Brian said: What happens if the GM wants to have a bubble on a player's token and specifically wants to hide it from the players (including the token's controller)? That's not a hypothetical, by the way. Players in Unknown Armies aren't meant to know exactly how much HP their character is at, it's tracked by the GM. I think that is a another suggestion. To my knowledge it's not possible for a GM to track attributes hidden from the player now and my suggestion isn't about that. My suggestion is mainly about getting more bubbles and I feel it would be nice if we could also choose how many of these bubbles is visible. Your suggestion about the GM tracking PC attributes hidden from the player would be nice for some systems but like I said, my suggestion is not about that.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bubbles don't have to be linked to attributes. While yes, a player could use something like @{selected|bar1} to see the value of the bubble, that's an issue outside the scope of more bubbles/hiding bubbles.

Edited 1414818265
Roger A.
Sheet Author
I have a question, why should the player and the gm even have the same bubbles in the first place? Why not let whoever has control of the token have their own bubbles/bars? The player could have the ability to link bars to stats on their own, and add as many bars/bubbles as they feel are usable. It could look like that ^^^ . The gm would have the option to look at what the player had set up, but the player wouldn't have the option to see what the gm set up. Maybe player controlled bubbles would be an option the gm has to enable?
Roger A. said: I have a question, why should the player and the gm even have the same bubbles in the first place? Why not let whoever has control of the token have their own bubbles/bars? The player could have the ability to link bars to stats on their own, and add as many bars/bubbles as they feel are usable. It could look like that ^^^ . The gm would have the option to look at what the player had set up, but the player wouldn't have the option to see what the gm set up. Maybe player controlled bubbles would be an option the gm has to enable? This would most likely be even better but I'm assuming that it would require a lot of extra work considered to just adding/removing bubbles. My naive assumption is that technically it shouldn't require a huge amount of work to get this done and adding extra layers of freedom and options could change this completely and I personally would not want to wait those extra bubbles until all them are added as well. I hope that made some sense. I'm fairly tired right now.
Looks like it would require a significant amount of extra work. Right now each bar represented on a token has 5 separate properties it needs stored on the token. I was going to suggest that they could replace those with just 1 property that would be the link id to an attribute on the character sheet, but that doesn't work if it isn't linked to an attribute in the first place. And you can't just create a hidden attribute on the character because you can have multiple tokens for the same character and that would break the attributes if you had 2 or 3 attributes called bar 1 on the same character. The ability to have the bubbles be different for the different people who control the token wouldn't work for similar reasons. I guess that's what happens when I just run with an idea before I think it through enough. I also decided to look at it from the standpoint of bubbles=bars like it works if you have a current value and a max value. The result of that isn't pretty. More than 3 bars results in either the bars being too small to be usable, the bars covering too much of the token, or the bars covering too much of something next to the token. If they add more bubbles it will have to be as just bubbles unless they can work out a better way to display extra bars than I can(totally possible). Now I have to try and figure out a way to make more bubbles look good....
I personally don't give a damn about the bars. In fact if I could I would disable them(from all of my characters' bubbles) but that would another suggestion.
Gold
Forum Champion
Maetco said: if I could I would disable them(from all of my characters' bubbles) but that would another suggestion. You do not need to allow the bars. You can have no bars.
Gauss
Forum Champion
To have no bars just make sure the second box (denominator) is empty.
Gauss said: To have no bars just make sure the second box (denominator) is empty. Yes I know this but it's not the same as being able to disable the bars because it means I can't utilize the Max column which is fairly important in our system.

Edited 1415476952
Gauss
Forum Champion
Maetco, I am not sure I understand. On a token the only place the denominator shows up is in the bar. If you leave the denominator on the token blank there is no bar. The bubbles do not show the denominator. Could you explain your use of the denominator box on the token? Note: If you are referencing the Max column in a Character that is not the same as the token and does not necessarily have any bearing on the token's denominator box.
Gauss said: Maetco, I am not sure I understand. On a token the only place the denominator shows up is in the bar. If you leave the denominator on the token blank there is no bar. The bubbles do not show the denominator. Could you explain your use of the denominator box on the token? Note: If you are referencing the Max column in a Character that is not the same as the token and does not necessarily have any bearing on the token's denominator box. That's exactly what I meant. The bubbles are (in our games) mainly linked to Character Attributes and in our system both the Current and Max are important so we can't leave either empty.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hmmm, you could delink the token's bubble or you could create a separate Attribute just for the current value and link the token to that. Not knowing how you are using the values this may or may not work for you.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
One thing I've thought about doing in the past is setting up a system in the API that changes the represents links for the bubbles when you turn on certain statuses.
Alicia
Sheet Author
I know I'd like to have at least 1 more bubble. In Star Wars Saga I use them for HP Reflex and Damage Threshold, but it would be nice to have a 4th for the Condition Track so all the main variables used in combat are right there. I could see it to be useful for more, but I'd worry that the space around the token would start getting cluttered depending on how large of an image you're using.
Gauss said: Hmmm, you could delink the token's bubble or you could create a separate Attribute just for the current value and link the token to that. Not knowing how you are using the values this may or may not work for you. Sorry for taking ages to reply. The most common way to use Attributes is to make Current the current value with all bonuses, penalties, etc. applied (crits, spells, equipment, etc.) and the Max as what that stat is "normally". We could just make two separate but I think I'm already stretching the limits of how much bookkeeping a GM can expect form players as it is. Thanks for trying to help. It's not a big thing. I just wouldn't enable the Bar if I had the choice.
Totally support this! Also the ability to bind a macro to a token would be nice. The ability to hide a bar, even when you have a denominator in place would be nice as well, as I'm currently using the max&min in some of my bubbles as completely unrelated values, and the bars just look stupid and serve no purpose. Another nice thing would be the ability to type in "max" or something and set a bubble value to full, for a full heal of a character or something, without having to check what the max value is.
Ahpook
Roll20 Production Team
Consider this another vote for MORE BUBBLES!
This is another one I would love, as I use the spell point system, and sometimes play gestalted. Always wanting more bars
J G. said: Totally support this! Also the ability to bind a macro to a token would be nice. The ability to hide a bar, even when you have a denominator in place would be nice as well, as I'm currently using the max&min in some of my bubbles as completely unrelated values, and the bars just look stupid and serve no purpose. Another nice thing would be the ability to type in "max" or something and set a bubble value to full, for a full heal of a character or something, without having to check what the max value is. On a similar note, it would be nice if you could set a value so that it can't go beyond max, so you wouldn't need to do things like manually figure out how much of the healing to actually add.
There have been several times I've wanted this ability for custom games.  It would be great to have the ability to set the number of token bubbles that appear on the token.  At the very least, I would like to have  six radial menu bubbles.  Voting this up.  8)
I love the idea of more bubbles. The idea of gm bubbles on a token is a great idea as well. Being able to choose where they show up as well would be great, as I still want to play car wars and more bubbles would be very beneficial for that system. Has my vote.
I  am running 4E campaign and would like to see all the defensively stats (I.e. HP,# of Surges, AC, Fort, Ref, Will) for my characters and Npc's tied to the tokens, with the ability to hide some or all of the bubbles from the player's depending on the situation.
Having multiple bubbles would make a big difference in my games, as my group only has 6 total stats (HP, SPD, MAG, Physical, Mental, Social). I also hate that we're currently forced to choose between bars overlap the tokens and not having an easy reference for what the max value is. Checkboxes to display/hide up to 8 bars (for 8 bubbles - meaning 1-8 could be hidden or shown individually) would help a lot and I don't think it would add significantly more clutter. If clutter is the concern, why not have the bubbles display in a row at the top of the screen, like the Token Action bar, instead of around the token? It would also be nice to be able to set pixel offset positions for each token bar displayed, so that the GM can organize them in whatever way is desired.
I like the idea of more bubbles on a token.
I would pay $100 just for more bubbles and a circular Paint.NET-style eraser. Seriously.
More bubbles would be nice
Any update on this?  I have started to run Open Legend and I would love to have bubbles for all three defense scores and hp leaving me with a need for 4 bubbles at least.  Is this even possible with just a simple API script?
I really could use an "add bubble" feature on the tokens in my game. Consider this a HUGE upvote from me. I see this petition has been going on for a years, but here's one more to the mix. Would it really be so bad to give users the ability to add more token bubbles?
I would love a way for there to be more bubbles, possible DM Controlled for ones being player visible, party visible, or DM only. Currently I have stolen 2 of the 3 for each of my players on my 5e game for AC and Health, I would love to be able to throw passive perception and ahve them all in the same color bubble so it is standard and I don't have to keep asking if attacks hit.
Is there a way to show with a small icon what the bubbles are for - Like a heart at the top of the bubble for health for example... so that it's easier for my players to keep track of what those coloured bubbles mean?
They used to have icons like you describe (see the screenshot in this post from a few years ago: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3934/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3934/</a> ) but they were static and could not changed, IIRC. And they were not useful symbols for every game folks wanted to play. At some point they were changed to the current colored borders, and&nbsp;you could change the colors to match what you want. I would love to see customizable icons on the bubbles (including the ability to turn them off, using the bubbles as they are now.).
This is a UX/UI decision that will be made internally if any changes happen down the road. We understand the desire for more, but feel the cleaniness of the interface is paramount.&nbsp;