Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Whispering in Roll20

Edited 1384671144
Even though my post does kind of includes a suggestion it's mainly a question to other users so I didn't post it under suggestions. I have a problem with the whisper mechanic. Well actually I have a few problems: a) using whispers always slows the game down a lot (this is partially because I'm not that familiar using the command) b) the faster I try to write the whispers the bigger the risk of me making a mistake in the command and everybody ends up seeing the message c) in many occations I would be using whispering in a conversation and the conversation "drowns" under all the other chat messages I have found an almost perfect solution. The only problem is that it has nothing to do with Roll20. So far all of my players have had a Steam account and I have used Steam chat instead of whispering in Roll20 chat. Finally the questions: a) Has anyone else had problems with whispering and if yes what kind? b) Should Roll20 have better/faster mechanics for whispering or is it ok that I feel I pretty much have to use something 3rd party "tool" instead? My semi-suggestion would be to include additional chat box for each player under the name tag. Anything written there would automatically be whispered. It would contain whole conversations better and as long as you could close it (just like the normal chat) it wouldn't take any screen space when it's not used. The problem would clearly be that if there are a lot of players then your screen might end up being filled with chat boxes. To Gauss Please don't move this under suggestions. This is meant to be a thread about how whispering could be improved. I'll be creating a suggestion later based on the conversation on this thread.
a) Has anyone else had problems with whispering and if yes what kind? Well I was ERPing with someone else in the game and I kinda messed up and everyone found out that my cleric was exploiting various loopholes in her vow of chastity... ANYWAY yes I do agree, multiple chat channels and a whisper button that brought up a text box would be very handy to have.
+1 For personal chatboxes, it would be soo nice to be able to skip the /w *NAME* part. Even have personal box for hidden rolls as a GM would be nice, instead of having to whisper oneself when using complicated macros. As of now, you can only use /gr as hidden rolls, and not e.g [[incline rolls]].
I actually use Macros precisely due to the fear of mistyping a name. They are in my macrobar so all I have to do is click the Macroname and then type in the text. Works like so: /w Marcus ?{Message} Of course the other issue you mentioned still apply (whispers getting drowned), but it helps.
Alicia
Sheet Author
+1. Being a text based rper I've always loved the idea of seperate channels for whispers.
+1 as well. Whispering would be just awesome. Having a more simple/easy-to-use channel system in general would be pretty cool, actually, for things like private chat to the DMs and the like. I don't assume it would be too difficult to implement?
A reply to whisper quick button like say "ctr+backspace" or something would be awesome as well.
Robert Towell said: A reply to whisper quick button like say "ctr+backspace" or something would be awesome as well. Do you mean if someone whispers to you you could press this "quick button" and Roll20 would automatically add the /w *NAME* to the chat box with the name who just whispered to you?

Edited 1384672031
Mouse said: I actually use Macros precisely due to the fear of mistyping a name. They are in my macrobar so all I have to do is click the Macroname and then type in the text. Works like so: /w Marcus ?{Message} Of course the other issue you mentioned still apply (whispers getting drowned), but it helps. I'm not sure I understood what you mean. If I make a macro: /w Name the message section will always be empty when I use it since using macros always include pressing "Enter" at the end. So how exactly do you use macros with whispers? Edit Sorry I didn't see the actual macro command at the end. That actually works pretty well. Do you know if that command "?{Message}" was created just for this purpose or can it be used with other purposes as well? Basically what I'm trying to ask is that what does "?{Someting} actually does? I can't find it in the wiki.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Maetco said: Do you know if that command "?{Message}" was created just for this purpose or can it be used with other purposes as well? Basically what I'm trying to ask is that what does "?{Someting} actually does? I can't find it in the wiki. It's a Roll Query .
Brian said: Maetco said: Do you know if that command "?{Message}" was created just for this purpose or can it be used with other purposes as well? Basically what I'm trying to ask is that what does "?{Someting} actually does? I can't find it in the wiki. It's a Roll Query . Ok, thanks.
This conversation seems to have died so I'm making a suggestion based on this conversation. Thank you all for your input.
to be honest, whispers are the easiest thing in the world to manage make a macro call it whatever you like (i just have a W on mine, so i know its for whispers, and it takes up no room) put this in macro /w @{selected|token_name} ?{msg} select the token you want to whisper click macro same works for /emas so you can easily speak as any npc token on the board, or with any other chat command that requires a little bit of direction.
oh, and the above method also stops things being broadcast to the whole group because of spelling mistakes and whatnot. though every now and again you might click the wrong token, but at least its not to every one.