Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

3.5e Skill point calculation Issues

Edited 1487269476
The calculation below is supposed to automatically calculate the number of skill points a player has put into a particular skill on their character sheet.  I am trying to get "able learner" to work with this calculation.  For those who don't know "Able Learner" is a 3.5e feat that makes all Cross Class Ranks cost only 1 skill point instead of 2, without changing the Cross-Class max ranks. Equation before trying to add able learner: (@{R} * (2 - @{C})) Equation after adding able learner: (@{R} * (2 - (@{C})) / (@{A} - @{C}) Where: @{R} (Ranks) is the number of ranks in the particular skill @{C} (Cross Class) is a checkbox value 1 if checked, value 0 if unchecked. @{A} (Able Learner) is a checkbox value 2 if checked, 0 if unchecked. The problem is this calculation ends up dividing by Zero, as well as a number of different problems.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something, help would be appreciated. Able learner must not interfere with the value of Class Skills, but it also must be set to a minimum value of 1, when the equation is divided.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
How about this: @{R} (Ranks) @{C} (Cross Class) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled @{A} (Able Learner) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled Total skill points spent: @{R} * (1 + @{C} * (1 - @{A}))
Silvyre said: How about this: @{R} (Ranks) @{C} (Cross Class) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled @{A} (Able Learner) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled Total skill points spent: @{R} * (1 + @{C} * (1 - @{A})) That looks like it might just work!  Thanks so much!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Good luck!
Silvyre said: Good luck! Actually, I'm wondering... is there a way that this calculation could work where the players only have to check class skills, instead of checking Cross-Class ones?  It's just something to make the skill list more Intuitive.  Checking skills that are class skills makes more sense to me.  If there is no way, there's no problem.  It's mostly trying to make the sheet more User-Friendly.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Sure: @{R} (Ranks) @{C} (Class Skill) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled @{A} (Able Learner) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled Total skill points spent: @{R} * (1 + (1 - @{C}) * (1 - @{A}))
Silvyre said: Sure: @{R} (Ranks) @{C} (Class Skill) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled @{A} (Able Learner) equals 0 if unchecked; 1 if checked/enabled Total skill points spent: @{R} * (1 + (1 - @{C}) * (1 - @{A})) I feel dumb that I overthought such a simple equation.  Thank you so much.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
You're very welcome!