Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help] How do we put abilities on a personal sheet?

Perhaps someone already asked it, but I'm asking once again: how do we call an abilitie, for exemple for an existing sheet. I know putting <<attr_>> call an attribute, and would automatically use the existing value if we've previously wrote it down, but how do we do with abilities? PS: I know my english isn't very good, don't judge me ;-)
I don't have any experience with custom sheets, but I think you did a great job with the English as I was able to understand what you were asking without having the background knowledge required.

Edited 1487351115
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I believe what you want are  sheet rolls and roll buttons . Calling them via chat in game is syntactically identical to calling an ability from the attributes and abilities page of the character, but they are not actually abilities as far as I understand them from the standpoint of searching for abilities via findObjs in an API script (they are not found by findObjs when searching for abilities).
scott, no I wanted to say into the sheets we must code ourself, the custom sheet feature.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Are you wanting to use Roll Templates or just straight up rolls?  In either case, you're going to need to create a button. Something like: <button type='roll' name='roll_AgilityRoll' value='/em @{character_name} attempts to be agile and rolls @{rollAgility}'></button>

Edited 1487449908
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Cerveau23 said: scott, no I wanted to say into the sheets we must code ourself, the custom sheet feature. And Scott is telling you that if you make a button (with type="roll") on your custom sheet, it'll be an ability (that does not show up on the Attributes & Abilities tab)
Ok... but what does pass if there are multiple lines into the abiliti? Should I rewrite all the sheets using macros and so or what?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can insert line breaks into the macro used by a roll button with "\n". (You might also be able to use a simple newline, I haven't tried TBH.)
Perhaps I haven't understood something, but the roll can only call attributes, and not abilities from the Attributes & Abilities tab, or what?

Edited 1487546278
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You can make a macro that rolls abilities if that is what you wish.  Normally it's something like % {selected|repeating_weapons_$0_roll} or  % {selected|Alternate-Skills}   tip: you can make a roll from somewhere(sheet directly, token ability macro, abilities list from the journal, etc.). After the roll has completed, click into the chat input box and hit the UP arrow key to see the last command sent to chat.  (you can cycle thru chat command history using the Up/Down arrows).  This will reveal the exact command sent to chat.  You can can use the info to make other macros if you wish. tip2: You can use the "show  on quickbar/token action" option from the attributes list.  Don't forget that you can drag/drop buttons from the sheet to the macro quickbar(bottom of the screen) as well.  rename and colorize.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Also, if it helps to think about it this way...the character sheet isn't calling attributes, it's creating them. So, the sheet is feeding the Attributes and Abilities tab for the Attributes.  You can then create abilities that reference the attributes.  The character sheet can implement buttons that do the same thing as abilities but doesn't create an ability, but you can create an ability that references the roll button on the character sheet. When creating a roll button, you use the same commands as you would if you were creating an ability...in fact sometimes I will create the ability and copy/paste it into the value of the roll button—that way I make sure the formula works before creating the button.  If you have a multi-line formula, that's OK.  Here's a multi-line formula I just put into a roll button today, in fact: value='/em Rolls Physique! 
/r [[{1d0+2,1d0+[[@{physique}+?{Modifier|0}]]}kh1]]d6sd 
/em Remember the modifier was ?{Modifier|0}, so apply [[ {1d0,1d0-2+@{physique}+?{Modifier|0}}kl1 ]] to the face value of the highest pair...' The first line is the /em statement. The 
 is a new line character. The /r is the beginning of the second line, and the second /em is the beginning of the third line.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Finderski said: When creating a roll button, you use the same commands as you would if you were creating an ability...in fact sometimes I will create the ability and copy/paste it into the value of the roll button—that way I make sure the formula works before creating the button. Stolen. Borrowed. Inspired.  ;-)
Thanks to you all😄 I'll try and ask you again if I can't do it😊