Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

My players are... drawing penises everywhere.

Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
This probably isn't the correct part of the forum for feature-requests, but please, let me turn "drawing" off for all or certain players. The culprits are long time friends of mine, but they have a childish streak. I would feel much more confident with confronting them about their ass-hattery if I could actually back it up with some tangible threat, like disabling their ability to draw on the map. Thanks for reading my outburst. :P
Gid
Roll20 Team
The biggest threat a GM ever has is to just threaten a full stop of the game you're running. :) Tell them you'll just end the session early if they keep behaving immature. It's disrespectful to all the work you're doing to GM their game.
I'd love to have the ability to disable this as well. My players also draw penises on everything, and It's not something that's a big enough deal to throw a tantrum and threaten to quit over. But it is something I'd like to stop.

Edited 1384546522
Gid
Roll20 Team
It's not really throwing a tantrum, it's just asking your players for common courtesy. They either respect your wishes as the GM or they don't. If you all were playing a live game in real life, I doubt that any of your players would be just grabbing up dry erase markers and drawing penises all over your map. There's nothing in real life preventing them from picking up a marker and doodling, so why are they compelled to do it in Roll20? Just tell them to stop it. They're behavior is clearly detracting from the game if you want to ban the tool entirely from the players.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Great advice! I'll just have to figure out the best way to tell them so cease. :)

Edited 1384549199
Gid
Roll20 Team
Just be upfront about it. Tell them that while the doodles are amusing, it's also distracting you from GMing and other players from playing your game. I'm sure it's probably fine to doodle once a session is over or when there's a snack/drink break so that the Picassos in your group can get it out of their system, but just setup a house rule asking players to not doodle while the game is currently running.
I've tried to get players to stop drawing penises, but it's hard.
Yeah. +1 on being able to turn that off for people. And, on a related note, might someone be willing to move this over to suggestions?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Asaram said: And, on a related note, might someone be willing to move this over to suggestions? Done. :)
Thank you kindly Kristin. :)

Edited 1384575680
For mentor-level subscribers, this script will automatically hide any newly created path on the Object layer. It does this by scaling it until it is invisible, moving it to the GM layer, and shifting it off screen. If we ever get the ability to destroy objects, I'd rather do it that way. This should thoroughly discourage your phallus fixated players. You'll need to draw paths on a different layer and copy them to the Object layer if you need them there. Alternatively, you could disable the script if you need to do some bulk path creation. on("ready", function (){ on("add:path", function (obj){ if(obj.get('layer') == 'objects') obj.set({layer: 'gmlayer', scaleX:.001, scaleY:.001, top:-20, left:-20}); }); });
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have found that a landing page is immensely helpful, for multiple reasons. Relevant to this thread, I've encouraged my players to doodle all they want on the landing page, and they seem less inclined to draw things elsewhere. That said, the OOC Room in my current campaign does not contain any penises, so lack of doodles on my other pages may simply be a matter of mature players. One of my players did draw of a shark and a drawing of Australia, with a note next to them claiming they're to-scale with one another. (The shark is... half the size of Australia.)

Edited 1384657816
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
They ARE to scale, but not a regular shark. It's the magical Australian Giant Shark, which for some reason is called a shaaaaaaa'k. :-) It's also the only known thing that can distract role-players from drawing penises, which has become simply epidemic!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This was drawn on the first or second session: This was after the most recent session: (The campaign is set in MLP; the pony is one of the PCs.)
With skills like that, I'd let them keep drawing. I am a little disappointed though. From what I know of Australia, that spider in the first pic should be at least as large as the shark.

Edited 1384728432
I'm not sure if my player group even realizes they have drawing tools at their disposal. If they are aware, they've never been tempted to abuse them.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
John M. said: With skills like that, I'd let them keep drawing. I am a little disappointed though. From what I know of Australia, that spider in the first pic should be at least as large as the shark. To be fair, the player that drew the second picture is an artist; she's made several pictures depicting the campaign on her DeviantArt account.
I was running Rise of the Runelords for my friends, who are both professional artists. They drew differently styled penis shrines in each section for each deity. I just learned to let it go.
Jesse S. said: I was running Rise of the Runelords for my friends, who are both professional artists. They drew differently styled penis shrines in each section for each deity. I just learned to let it go. I guess I just don't get the fascination with phallus drawing. I'd chalk it up to adolescents being adolescents but it doesn't wash. I've been playing RPGs since I was 16 years old. We didn't have Roll20 in those days but we did have vinyl battlemats and marker pens and it never occurred to any of us to draw d**ks all over the place.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Brett , you should try playing with 3 (adult) women sometime. They are far worse than most adolescent males.
The temptation to post penis ascii art....
HoneyBadger said: The temptation to post penis ascii art.... Might as well, apparently there's a sizeable (see what I did there?) fan base for all things phallic around here.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Headhunter Jones said: I've tried to get players to stop drawing penises, but it's hard. Must... resist... temptation... ARGH! To hell with it. Erection joke.