Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What do you use for D&D 5e

I am starting up a D&D 5e game, a system I have never used before.  As it is one of the more popular systems on this site, I am reaching out to the GM's to find out the following: Which sheet do you use What API scripts do you use? Is there a tip, tactic, or other operation that you use that makes running a D&D 5e game better on Roll20?  Is there a Roll20 specific reason you chose D&D 5e over the other fantasy games? Thank you for you time
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
OGL Companion script, modified bloody script, pagefx, turn tracker, recursive tables, powercards make a generic initiative macro for NPCs  the preset adventures and tokens from Volos and the monster manual
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Shaped Companion Script, TokenMod, GroupCheck +ApplyDamage, GroupInitiative, TokenNameNumber, +small one-off stuff that's not so impactful Use the capabilities of the companion script, setting up a monster/NPC completely with token actions and spells is very fast, so you spend less time with data entry and have more time for the important stuff.  Similarly, but during the session, using GroupCheck/GroupInitiative, I can handle monster rolls quickly to keep the action flowing!  I definitely wouldn't run D&D if I did not have the computer to help me handle all the dice rolling required by a roll-heavy system like D&D
Never having used 5e before, I am intrigued by this Companion Script.  And thanks for pointing out group Check.  I will use that in my other games. I've never thought of D&D as roll heavy, but not that I look at it, I have to agree.  

Edited 1487859831
We run with the OGL sheet, it works well with the 5e Compendium We really like using Aura Health, GroupInitiative, Marching Order (ranger has a wolf companion and this allows the DM to get the wolf to follow the ranger around), It'sATrap, Turn Marker 1, the 5e Companion Script, and we are experimenting now with GroupCheck and next I will want to implement Area of Effect scripts. Rolling dice off of the character sheet is a big time saver, being able to establish specific NPC character sheets ahead of time is nice, also building out mook tokens attached to monster NPCs in advance is great (many are in the Compendium, but there are still many more which could be build before hand ... or purchase the roll20 Monster Manual). We started off playing AD&D, but there were so more many resources available online for 5e and the mechanics seemed much more streamline without compromising fun, that we switched to 5e about 4 months ago now.  Still learning!

Edited 1487860395
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Just to avert confusion, when each of them say "Companion Script", they are talking about the API script that goes with their respective Character Sheets.  Franky is talking about the OGL Companion Script, and Jakob is talking about the Shaped Companion Script. Having just spent 4 days straight playing 5e DnD in person with a bunch of friends, I have to agree with Jakob on the using a computer to roll dice.  I use Roll20 for my in-person games as well. =D 

Edited 1487859943
Yes, we use roll20 for our live sessions now as well.  Not only for the ease of dice rolling, but also for the ease of sharing visuals (maps, handouts, etc).  I still bring my oversized d20 to the live sessions because ... it's fun to roll.  Really fun to roll.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Perhaps the last thread on this topic can be insightful: Help! 5e OGL or Shaped ???
I ran a 1.5 year long campaign for 3.5 d&d.  I decided to switch to 5e a couple of months ago because of the sheet support (I use 5e OGL), availability of statted tokens (SRD, Volo's Guide, and MM), and the comparative simplicity of the rules (allowing for more streamlined combat and gameplay).  Every time my PCs leveled in 3.5 I found myself making a ton of macros to help them out and keep gameplay easier.  So far, I haven't needed to make a single macro for my players! Much easier.