Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e OGL Barbarian Rage Modifier

I found the following macro on Reddit from a few years ago, and am trying to put it to use but it does not seem to be working for me. The idea here is that by simply changing the value of one of the token bars, the macro knows whether or not Rage is active (which I love the idea of). I currently have added the "israging" item to my character sheet, and assigned that to the default green bar/circle from the token. When I test it though, the affect of rage is not being applied. Here is the Reddit post that I took this from. I'm unable to reply to it now as it is too old, so I thought the best place to ask would be here. <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comments/3inl9r/dd_5e_barbarian_rage_macro/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comments/3inl9r/dd_5e_barbarian_rage_macro/</a> Here is the macro specifically. &{template:5eDefault} {{weapon=1}} {{title=@{selected|meleeweaponname1}}} {{subheader=@{selected|character_name}}} {{subheaderright=Melee attack}} {{attack=[[1d20cs&gt;@{selected|meleeweaponcritrange1} + @{selected|meleetohit1} + (@{selected|global_melee_attack_bonus}) ]]}} {{attackadv=[[1d20cs&gt;@{selected|meleeweaponcritrange1} + @{selected|meleetohit1} + (@{selected|global_melee_attack_bonus}) ]]}} {{damage=[[@{selected|meleedmg1} + @{selected|meleedmgbonus1} + (@{selected|global_melee_damage_bonus})]] @{selected|meleedmgtype1}}} {{Rage Damage=[[(@{selected|israging} * ((1-(floor((1-1-@{selected|barbarian_level})/(abs(1-1-@{selected|barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*2)+((1-(floor((9-1-@{selected|barbarian_level})/(abs(9-1-@{selected|barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*1)+((1-(floor((16-1-@{selected|barbarian_level})/(abs(16-1-@{selected|barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*1))]]}}{{critdamage=Additional [[@{selected|meleecritdmg1}]] damage}} @{selected|classactionmeleeweapon}}
Looking at the macro, I believe it is not working due to not know any of the following attributes because as far as I know they do not exist on the 5e OGL character sheet. meleeweaponname1 meleeweaponcritrange1 meleetohit1 global_melee_attack_bonus meleetohit1 global_melee_damage_bonus meleedmgtype1 meleedmgbonus1 barbarian_level It appears to me that this macro is severely outdated for the character sheet. So here's what I would do. Create a new attribute, barbarian_level (I prefer this method because it allows characters to multiclass without having to change the other attributes) and set its value equal to @{base_level} (If a multiclassed character this would become @{multiclass1_level}, or 2 or 3 if Barbarian was not the second class for the character). Create another attribute that will calculate the rage damage (this attribute includes your previously created barabarian_level and israging attributes). Call it rage_damage and its value is: (I took this from the macro you were previously using but I didn't like having it be contained in a macro as this is more reusable) [[[[(@{israging} * ((1-(floor((1-1-@{barbarian_level})/(abs(1-1-@{barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*2)+((1-(floor((9-1-@{barbarian_level})/(abs(9-1-@{barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*1)+((1-(floor((16-1-@{barbarian_level})/(abs(16-1-@{barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*1))]][Rage]]] Finally add @{rage_damage} to each weapon's damage that rage could applyby adding +@{rage_damage} as shown below. Keep in mind that critical hits in 5e double the dice rolled, not any additional modifiers so you will need to account for this by setting the CRIT: damage to the original weapons damage (1d8 in the case for the warhammer).&nbsp;

Edited 1488384829
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Couple things: You're using the&nbsp; OGL by Roll20 character sheet according to your title. The macro you've got posted is for the no longer maintained&nbsp; community contributed 5e sheet .&nbsp; Roll templates are not interchangeable between sheets (other than &{template:default}). You'll need to change the template name to &{template:atk} or &{template:atkdmg} depending on what you want to do. This will also affect what field names you use.&nbsp; See the OGL roll template wiki for all the details. Rather than making a custom attack macro, you can do what you need to in the sheet attacks section. Just add this much simpler equation to the damage field of your attack on the OGL sheet after the damage die. : +[[@{israging}*(2+{floor((@{level})/9),1}kl1+{floor((@{level})/16),1}kl1)]] And in the crit field, put just your damage die + whatever else you might have that gets multiplied on a crit The attack will look something like the first image, and give an output something like the second. This all may not work at all, as you did not mention that you were getting invalid attribute name errors, which means you are either using the community contributed sheet, or your game recently swapped from the community contributed sheet and your character still has the community contributed character sheet attributes, in which case, you'll want your GM to make you a new character to transfer everything over to because these duplicate attributes can cause miscalculations. Ninja'd by Kyle :) Credit to&nbsp; Wes for the simpler rage damage macro

Edited 1488393856
Your suggestions worked, thank you! The only additional feature that would be amazing is if it would add the word "Raging" into the roll box in chat, if in a Rage. Not sure if that is possible though. I see in your example Scott where it mentions that, but I thinkk you simply changed the name of the entire action in that case?

Edited 1488393929
Shaun said: Your suggestions worked, thank you! The only additional feature that would be amazing is if it would add the word "Raging" into the roll box in chat, if in a Rage. Not sure if that is possible though. I see in your example Scott where it mentions that, but I thinkk you simply changed the name of the entire action in that case? That would require a special API script as far as I know. However, if you use the rage_damage attribute I suggested above, change it to&nbsp;Scott's suggestion with the following addition on the end. [[@{israging}*(2+{floor((@{level})/9),1}kl1+{floor((@{level})/16),1}kl1)]] [Rage] Then when you hover over the damage in chat, you will see how much is attributed to the raging

Edited 1488394068
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yeah, that was just for demonstration purposes. There are some options to do what you're asking though. The best option is probably roll tags. Simply add [Rage] after the equation for your rage damage. Downside is that the tag will show up regardless of if you are raging or not, but on the plus side will explain what that number is in the inline roll equation regardless of if it is on or not. Ninja'd by Kyle :) To add to Kyle's overall suggestion, you can use the max field of the attribute to store the formula in and then just copy/paste it into the value box when you turn rage on.
Perfect guys! Thanks again!! (PS - This forum has got to be the quickest and most helpful forum I've come across in... too many years of browsing the web)&nbsp;
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
heh, yeah, I rather enjoy the community here. Also, the competing response rate seems to happen rather often ;).
Kyle G. said: Looking at the macro, I believe it is not working due to not know any of the following attributes because as far as I know they do not exist on the 5e OGL character sheet. meleeweaponname1 meleeweaponcritrange1 meleetohit1 global_melee_attack_bonus meleetohit1 global_melee_damage_bonus meleedmgtype1 meleedmgbonus1 barbarian_level It appears to me that this macro is severely outdated for the character sheet. So here's what I would do. Create a new attribute, barbarian_level (I prefer this method because it allows characters to multiclass without having to change the other attributes) and set its value equal to @{base_level} (If a multiclassed character this would become @{multiclass1_level}, or 2 or 3 if Barbarian was not the second class for the character). Create another attribute that will calculate the rage damage (this attribute includes your previously created barabarian_level and israging attributes). Call it rage_damage and its value is: (I took this from the macro you were previously using but I didn't like having it be contained in a macro as this is more reusable) [[[[(@{israging} * ((1-(floor((1-1-@{barbarian_level})/(abs(1-1-@{barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*2)+((1-(floor((9-1-@{barbarian_level})/(abs(9-1-@{barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*1)+((1-(floor((16-1-@{barbarian_level})/(abs(16-1-@{barbarian_level})+0.001))+1))*1))]][Rage]]] Finally add @{rage_damage} to each weapon's damage that rage could applyby adding +@{rage_damage} as shown below. Keep in mind that critical hits in 5e double the dice rolled, not any additional modifiers so you will need to account for this by setting the CRIT: damage to the original weapons damage (1d8 in the case for the warhammer).&nbsp; 2d8 in the critical because barbarians have Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon Attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Craven . said: Kyle G. said: Finally add @{rage_damage} to each weapon's damage that rage could applyby adding +@{rage_damage} as shown below. Keep in mind that critical hits in 5e double the dice rolled, not any additional modifiers so you will need to account for this by setting the CRIT: damage to the original weapons damage (1d8 in the case for the warhammer).&nbsp; 2d8 in the critical because barbarians have Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon Attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit. Half-Orcs have Savage Attacks, Barbarians have Brutal Critical. The situation that we discussed above does not account for either of those situations however and will need to be updated according to the situation. My comment for needing the crit to be modified was not because there is extra dice being rolled, but that the rage damage is applied twice if not modified. In 5e, only the number of dice are doubled, but any modifiers to those dice (Strength, rage, etc.) are applied once.
Kyle G. said: Craven . said: Kyle G. said: Finally add @{rage_damage} to each weapon's damage that rage could applyby adding +@{rage_damage} as shown below. Keep in mind that critical hits in 5e double the dice rolled, not any additional modifiers so you will need to account for this by setting the CRIT: damage to the original weapons damage (1d8 in the case for the warhammer).&nbsp; 2d8 in the critical because barbarians have Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon Attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit. Half-Orcs have Savage Attacks, Barbarians have Brutal Critical. The situation that we discussed above does not account for either of those situations however and will need to be updated according to the situation. My comment for needing the crit to be modified was not because there is extra dice being rolled, but that the rage damage is applied twice if not modified. In 5e, only the number of dice are doubled, but any modifiers to those dice (Strength, rage, etc.) are applied once. opps ya that right my Barbarian in my campaign is Half-orc sorry.&nbsp;