Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Connection to Server is frequently interrupted

I've been using Roll20 for about 2 years now, but recently (last 2 months or so) my games have been getting really bad connection issues. The connection to the server gets interrupted and nothing is saved in random intervals, but it is a frequent enough problem that I've had to make a Bug Report. It's not just me that this effects, all of my players also get disconnected (though not always at the same time.) For the majority of the time i've been using Roll20, this hasn't been a problem, it only started in the last couple of months, which leads me to believe it's a recent change that may be causing this. We've all gone through the instructions for resolving technical issues on the wiki, and it doesn't appear to have made any difference. I think it may be something to do with the game itself, as I have no connection issues in another campaign that my friend is running. I'm using Google Chrome version 56.0.2924.87, on Windows 10. JavaScript and Cookies are both enabled, though Flash is not installed.

Edited 1488749716
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Hey Sandwich, I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the site. Could you please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thank you!

Edited 1488803817
Okay, i've been messing with roll20 on my lunch break and had the problem again. My antivirus is a combination of Malwarebytes anti-malware and Windows Defender. There are no errors in the console. I can't seem to include the console log in a post, as I get 404'd when clicking Submit Post. Here's a link to the .log file in my dropbox

Edited 1488916541
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Thanks. Is this log right after the crash? If not, could you grab one the next time it disconnects as well? In the mean time, I'll poke a dev about this.
Hi Franky, It was after i'd been on roll20, idle, for a while. I have one from just now where I've only just loaded the page and it lost connection. Here's a link to the log file
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Thank you very much. I've alerted the Devs to your issue. Hopefully we can get this resolved and have you rolling in no time.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Datedsandwich, are you and your players trying to play together over a Wireless network?
Hi Kristin, We're playing over the internet. Two of my players are in France, the rest are in the UK.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Do your players get the Connection Interruption message too or is it just an issue that you're seeing? What sort of device are you using: Laptop? Tablet? Desktop?
We all get it, though myself and one of the players in France get it more often than the rest of them. We're both using Windows 10 Desktops.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Okay. What's the name of the game that seems to be causing you and your fellow players issues?
D&D: The Sword Coast
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thanks, I think the reason you and your players are having difficulty with your game is that your game is very large and loading it is over-taxing your connections. A long chat archive and a lot of journal entries will cause a considerable bloat to performance. Here's some things I'd recommend trying: Periodically delete your Chat Archive from the Game Details Page Split this game into smaller games by making copies (or using the Transmogrifier) to hold only the content you need for the near future of your campaign. See if either of those help gameplay.
If you are wanting to keep a record of the Archive Chat for review at a later time, I recommend SingleFile to take a copy of the archive and save it to your computer as a single file. This means that once you have done this, you are able to clear the archived logs from Roll20 after each session, but still retain a copy for review at a later stage.
I'm not too worried about the chat archive, but yeah it is very large. Thank you for taking the time to look into it!

Edited 1489721609
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Fearless Leader , could you please run through the 4 troubleshooting steps posted by Franky earlier in this thread? Thanks!